Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting scalar variable assignment in perl + { operator Post 302159462 by cbkihong on Thursday 17th of January 2008 09:15:31 PM
Old 01-17-2008
Surrounding the identifier with curly braces is more frequently seen in double-quoted strings to separate it from neighbouring text. For example,

"The time now is ${time}A.M."

This syntax also works outside strings, as you cited, but that is rarely needed and being most of the time redundant. It is there to support identifiers that start with a ^ sign, which is normally not allowed. However, I cannot think of any case that really needs to refer this kind of variables.

For more information, refer to

perlvar - perldoc.perl.org

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't modify not in scalar assignment compilation error

My perl code is below. Its just a simple assignment and printing out of the value. $match = "my name is"; print "printing $match\n" ; Does anyone know where is the error? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
2 Replies

2. Programming

what is diff b/w copy constructor and overloaded assignment operator

Helo i m new in c++. i m confuse about what is exact difference b/w copy constructor and overloaded assignment operator. Regards, Amit (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl scalar variable in backquoted string

hi I've been searching all over the internet to simply do the following: $tempfile = "/usr/school/tempfile.dat"; $myvar = param('add'); ###add is the variable assigned to a popup menu `ls -l $myvar * >> $tempfile` ###I also tried `ls -l ${myvar}* >>$tempfile` open(ADDLIST,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehdi9
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl DBI: populate a scalar from a select statement

hi every resource i see regarding DBI refers to retrieving data from a database into and array or a hash, but i havent seen anything on how to pull out a single value to a scalar in my database i have a field called "forcewrite" with a value of "6". I am trying to connect to the database,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with KSH script using scalar variable

Hi Guys, I'm having a hard time bringing out my desired output from my korn shell script. This particular statement from my script its seems not working perl -ne 'print if $_ lt ${date1}' . My complete script as shown below. Please help. Code: #!/usr/bin/ksh ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: victorneri
5 Replies

6. Programming

c++ assignment operator overloading

Hello everyone! Suppose that I have something like this A a; a.mem=new int; A b = a; where class A { public: int * mem; A() : mem(NULL) { } ~A() { if (mem!=NULL) delete mem; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashuser2
1 Replies

7. Programming

Need to understand the overloaded assignment operator behavior

Hi, In the following code, class A { public: void operator=(const A& rhs) { if (this == &rhs) cout << "self-assigned"; } }; class B { A a; // should not be a pointer member, (i.e) A* a }; int main() { B b; b = b; // Ans: self-assigned } I am really... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assignment operator without operand

Does anyone know how this line in bash works? local gotbase= force= nicelevel corelimit local pid base= user= nice= bg= pid_file= local cgroup= These lines are part of the daemon function inside the "functions" file at /etc/init.d in RH. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rameshck
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : converting file to different scalar elements

I have a text file containing 2 exec statements as below and trying to store the below 2 execs into 2 different scalar variables in perl. /* ICD Dist, Total */ /* need to export to Excel, sheet=ICD_Dist__Total */ exec( 'select sum(count(*)) cast(count(*)*100.0/sum(count(*)) over() as... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash variable assignment failure/unary operator expected

I have a little code block (executing on AIX 7.1) that I cannot understand why the NOTFREE=0 does not appear to be assigned even though it goes through that block. This causes a unary operator issue. #!/bin/bash PLATFORM="AIX" NEEDSPC=3000 set -x if ; then lsvg | grep -v rootvg | while... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: port43
6 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::Variables::ProhibitEvilVariables(3User Contributed Perl DocumentaPerl::Critic::Policy::Variables::ProhibitEvilVariables(3pm)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::Variables::ProhibitEvilVariables - Ban variables that aren't blessed by your shop. AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
Use this policy if you wish to prohibit the use of specific variables. These may be global variables warned against in "perlvar", or just variables whose names you do not like. CONFIGURATION
The set of prohibited variables is configurable via the "variables" and "variables_file" options. The value of "variables" should be a string of space-delimited, fully qualified variable names and/or regular expressions. An example of prohibiting two specific variables in a .perlcriticrc file: [Variables::ProhibitEvilVariables] variables = $[ $^S $SIG{__DIE__} If you prohibit an array or hash (e.g. @INC), use of elements of the array or hash will be prohibited as well. If you specify a subscripted variable (e.g. $SIG{__DIE__}), only the literal subscript specified will be detected. The above <.perlcritic> file, for example, will cause "perlcritic(1)" to detect "$SIG{__DIE__} = &foo", but not my $foo = '__DIE__'; $SIG{$foo} = &foo; Regular expressions are identified by values beginning and ending with slashes. Any variable with a name that matches "m/pattern/sm" will be forbidden. For example: [Variables::ProhibitEvilVariables] variables = /acme/ would cause all variables that match "m/acme/" to be forbidden. If you want a case-blind check, you can use (?i: ... ). For example [Variables::ProhibitEvilVariables] variables = /(?i:acme)/ forbids variables that match "m/acme/smi". In addition, you can override the default message ("Prohibited variable "variable" used") with your own, in order to give suggestions for alternative action. To do so, put your message in curly braces after the variable name or regular expression. Like this: [Variables::ProhibitEvilVariables] variables = $[ {Found use of $[. Program to base index 0 instead} If your message contains curly braces, you can enclose it in parentheses, angle brackets, or square brackets instead. Similarly, the "variables_file" option gives the name of a file containing specifications for prohibited variables. Only one variable specification is allowed per line and comments start with an octothorp and run to end of line; no curly braces are necessary for delimiting messages: $[ # Prohibit the "$[" variable and use the default message. # Prohibit the "$^S" variable and give a replacement message. $^S Having to think about $^S in exception handlers is just wrong # Use a regular expression. /acme/ No coyotes allowed. By default, there are no prohibited variables, although I can think of a few that should be. See "perldoc perlvar" for a few suggestions. RESTRICTIONS
Variables of the form "${^foo}" are not recognized by PPI as of version 1.206. When PPI recognizes these, this policy will Just Work for them too. Only direct references to prohibited variables and literal subscripts will be recognized. For example, if you prohibit $[, the first line in my $foo = $[; $$foo = 1; will be flagged as a violation, but not the second, even though the second, in fact, assigns to $[. Similarly, if you prohibit $SIG{__DIE__}, this policy will not recognize my $foo = '__DIE__'; $SIG{$foo} = sub {warn 'I cannot die!'}; as an assignment to $SIG{__DIE__}. NOTES
This policy leans heavily on Perl::Critic::Policy::Modules::ProhibitEvilModules by Jeffrey Ryan Thalhammer. AUTHOR
Thomas R. Wyant, III wyant at cpan dot org COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2009-2011 Thomas R. Wyant, III This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of this license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.14.2 2012-06-07 Perl::Critic::Policy::Variables::ProhibitEvilVariables(3pm)