Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming global variables in KLD (FreeBSD) Post 302159450 by int80h on Thursday 17th of January 2008 07:14:04 PM
Old 01-17-2008
global variables in KLD (FreeBSD)

Hello dear BSD hackers,
how can I define and then make visible some variables that I define in KLD (BSD) for other part of Kernel or other KLD's ?

if i declare for example the varibale out of load-function of KLD , the name of this variable isn't export to symbol-table and the variable can not be visible from other modules.

thanx a lot for your answers.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl global variables

Can someone give me "the lecture" on why you shouldn't make all your varables global when programming in perl. I have been doing this but I have heard that it is not a good practice. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: reggiej
3 Replies

2. BSD

Declaring Global Variables in KLD

Hello, how can I define a global variables in KLD? I would like to define some variables in my KLD and then would like to use them from other KLD. Thanx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: int80h
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with global and local variables

Guys, how can I define global variables in sorlaris...cause I lose the values outside the scope. Rite now wat I do is,I redirect variable value to a file n then get it back outside the function...:o....theres obviously a better way of doing this...I now this is a basic question....but please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: qzv2jm
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

global variables

Hi, I hav created a script that calls a sub-script. In both the scripts i called the configuration file. Now i wanted to use a variable that should be used in both script and sub-script files. Actually, i wanted to return a file name and the return status to the script file from the sub-script.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Swapna173
6 Replies

5. Programming

global variables and dynamic allocation

Hi, is it possible in C to allocate dynamically a global variable?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: littleboyblu
3 Replies

6. Solaris

How to access ENV variables of non global zones in global zone???

Hi Guys, My requirement is I have file called /opt/orahome/.profile in non global zone. PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:/etc:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:. export PATH PS1="\${ORACLE_SID}:`hostname`:\$PWD$ " export PS1 EDITOR=vi export EDITOR ENV=/opt/orahome/.kshrc export ENV... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vijaysachin
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function ignoring global variables

Hi there. I'm writing a function to which I want to pass a global variable. For some reason, it's ignoring the variable. #!/bin/bash ##################################### #Variable Declaration ##################################### CURPATH=`dirname $0` DEEP=$CURPATH/depth.txt export... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikesimone
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[PHP] Need help with making variables Global

I have made a script that requires another php script for functions. I need a way so that the required script can read and write the main script's variables. Best Regards, John Wei ---------- Post updated at 08:54 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:40 AM ---------- Sorry Guys, EDIT: my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johntzwei
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find global variables, c source

Hello.I have been trying to solve the following problem, but to no avail. If anyone could please give me some indications, or anything, it would be amazing. A C source program and a type name are given. Determine from source, the list of the global variables having the given type. For each... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Susan78
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Global variables in perl

hi all, i need a help for the following query. Thanks in advance for your valuable time. i have a main.pl file which has a global variable declared as below. our myVar=0; call first.pl script from the main.pl script. print the value of myVar (the value is still 0 and not 10.) i have a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hemalathak10
1 Replies
ASF(8)							    BSD System Manager's Manual 						    ASF(8)

NAME
asf -- add symbol files SYNOPSIS
asf [-afKksVx] [-M core] [-N system] [-o outfile] [-X suffix] [modules-path [outfile]] DESCRIPTION
By default, asf reads kldstat(8) output from standard input and writes to the .asf file a list of gdb(1) commands to add symbol files from KLDs in subdirectories of the subdirectory modules of the current directory, which is intended to be a kernel build directory. This allows gdb(1) to load the symbols into the debugging environment. An optional modules-path argument can specify a semicolon-separated list of directory pathnames similar to the kern.module_path sysctl. Each directory in the list will be searched in turn for modules. The default list consists of just one element, modules, which is suitable if the current directory is a kernel build directory. If outfile is specified, asf writes to it instead of .asf. If outfile is a single dash ('-'), standard output is used. OPTIONS
The following options modify the function of asf: -a When writing to an explicit outfile, append to the file rather than overwriting it. -f Instead of trying to simplistically guess the path for each module, perform a traversal in the same way that find(1) does to locate an exact path for each module, no matter where in modules-path it is located. -K Instead of reading from standard input, use the conventional system interface to get the list of modules currently loaded. -k Instead of reading from standard input, start a kldstat(8) and read the information from it. -M Specify the core file for kvm(3). Implies -V. -N Specify the system file for kvm(3). Implies -V. -o Specify the file for asf to write or append its output to. If outfile is a single dash ('-'), standard output is used. -s Do not prepend a (guessed) subdirectory of the module path. -V Instead of reading from standard input, use the kvm(3) interface to get the list of modules. This interface allows for inspecting system crash dumps, as well as the live system. The -M and -N options will be of use if inspecting a crash dump. Elevated privi- leges, e.g., those of a superuser, may be needed to use this option. -X Add suffix to the list of suffixes asf tries to append to KLD file names. The default list consists of .debug, .symbols, and the null suffix. The null suffix always stays at the list tail, after the suffix added. Should it be needed in the middle of the list, a blank suffix can be specified to -X instead. -x Clear the list of suffixes asf tries to append to KLD file names. Only the null suffix is left in the list. EXAMPLES
To add symbol files from the system search path specified by the kern.module_path sysctl, the following command can be used: asf -s `sysctl -n kern.module_path` SEE ALSO
gdb(1), kvm(3), kld(4), kldstat(8), sysctl(8) HISTORY
The asf utility first appeared in FreeBSD 5.2. AUTHORS
Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org> BUGS
Module paths are guessed in a rather naive way by default. It is likely to lag behind the changes to the build tree layout. Using -f is recommended. BSD
December 20, 2006 BSD