Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Anyone know how to use socket select() function? Post 302159372 by ramen_noodle on Thursday 17th of January 2008 03:33:42 PM
Old 01-17-2008
I've attached a hasty, single process server (without any signal handling) example that works on my FreeBSD 6.0 host. Hopefully it will be of assistance. I'd suggest running indent against it. There are also very good arguments for not using select in favor of pselect. Also for high capacity servers maybe kqueue would be better.

HTH
This User Gave Thanks to ramen_noodle For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to convert the "select" function into a "poll" function

i have a program using the select function but i want to convert it to poll... how can i do this? thanks in advance... :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rbolante
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

send function in socket

Hi All, I encountered a stange problem while doing a perl script to use socket. i need to transfer a file from client to sever. but error came as argument missing in send function.........Plz tell me the wt r the arguments in send and recv functions....... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: trupti_rinku
0 Replies

3. Programming

select function

Dear all, I am using select function for the socket programming. What is the purpose of except fd's fd set in the argument. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagalenoj
0 Replies

4. Programming

Multiplexing socket and message queue using Select()

I have a socket and a message queue over which i am trying to multiplex input using select(). When data comes over socket the select works but when it comes over message queue the select is not detecting it . Create_Q gets the identifier of the messege queue. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shaurya.rastogi
1 Replies

5. Programming

connect() function in C++ socket programming

Hello All, I have a problem using connect(...) function in C++. I am using SSH from my windows system to connect it to linux server. The program works fine if I run it directly in Linux machine but I need it to run through windows machine. The function returns -1 and so my program terminates. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smdhd3
3 Replies

6. Programming

Please help! accept function problems in Socket programming

Hi, I have a client-server socket program. It has been working fine for over a year, but recently it started to show strange behavior.:confused: After the server program runs for a while, it will show in the top command saying it is using lots of CPU, MEM. I assume it means the server code is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: natxie
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

connect problem for sctp socket (ipv6 socket) - Runtime fail Invalid Arguments

Hi, I was porting ipv4 application to ipv6; i was done with TCP transports. Now i am facing problem with SCTp transport at runtime. To test SCTP transport I am using following server and client socket programs. Server program runs fine, but client program fails giving Invalid Arguments for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandrutiptur
0 Replies

8. Programming

socket function to read a webpage (socket.h)

Why does this socket function only read the first 1440 chars of the stream. Why not the whole stream ? I checked it with gdm and valgrind and everything seems correct... #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/stat.h> #include <string.h> #include... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyler
3 Replies

9. Programming

I am a little bit confused in a socket example through select()

Hi, I am a newbie about network programming. All codes come from this book: UNIX Network Programming Volume 1, Third Edition. It is a TCP server by use select() int main(int argc, char **argv) { int i, maxi, maxfd, listenfd, connfd, sockfd; int ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sehang
2 Replies

10. Programming

Socket and select

I have created two sockets and binded both. My requirement is that 2nd socket must send/ recv data only on expiration of timeval(tv). but the 1st socket must keep on send/recv the data without waiting for the 2nd socket completion...... I have posted my code below...... In this code the 2nd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naresh046
3 Replies
ypset(1M)						  System Administration Commands						 ypset(1M)

NAME
ypset - point ypbind at a particular server SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/ypset [-d ypdomain] [-h host] server DESCRIPTION
In order to run ypset, ypbind must be initiated with the -ypset or -ypsetme options. See ypbind(1M). ypset tells ypbind to get NIS services for the specified ypdomain from the ypserv process running on server. If server is down, or is not running ypserv, this might not be dis- covered until an NIS client process tries to obtain a binding for the domain. At this point, the binding set by ypset is tested by ypbind. If the binding is invalid, ypbind attempts to rebind for the same domain. ypset is useful for binding a client node that is not on a broadcast net, or is on a broadcast net that is not running an NIS server host. It is also useful for debugging NIS client applications, for instance, where an NIS map exists only at a single NIS server host. Where several hosts on the local net are supplying NIS services, ypbind can rebind to another host, even while you attempt to find out if the ypset operation succeeded. For example, if you enter the ypset command below, you might get the subsequent response from ypwhich: example% ypset host1 example% ypwhich host2 The sequence shown above is a function of the NIS subsystem's attempt to load-balance among the available NIS servers, and occurs when host1 does not respond to ypbind because it is not running ypserv (or is overloaded), and host2, running ypserv, obtains the binding. server indicates which NIS server to bind to, and must be specified as a name or an IP address. This works only if the node has a current valid binding for the domain in question and ypbind has been set to allow use of ypset. In most cases, server should be specified as an IP address. ypset tries to bind over a connectionless transport. The NIS library call, yp_all(), uses connection-oriented transport and derives the NIS server's address based on the connectionless address supplied by ypset. Refer to ypfiles(4) for an overview of the NIS name service. OPTIONS
-d ypdomain Use ypdomain, instead of the default domain. -h host Set ypbind's binding on host, instead of locally. Specify host as a name. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ypwhich(1), ypfiles(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 14 Sep 1992 ypset(1M)