Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Crontab a Script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Crontab a Script Post 302158788 by ennstate on Wednesday 16th of January 2008 09:21:20 AM
Old 01-16-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by moutaz1983
I know my question maybe eazy, but it realy cause a problem for me

I have a Perl script to run and get some output, I run this script using perl /moutaz/ciscolog/telnet.pl

I made another script as followSmilie/moutaz/ciscolog/script)
#!/bin/bash
perl /moutaz/ciscolog/telnet.pl
cp /moutaz/ciscolog/ciscolog /moutaz/ciscolog/ciscolog-$(date'+%H-%M')-$RANDOM

Then made crontab as follow:
15 * * * * /moutaz/ciscolog/script

The question:
-when apply command from shell it worked fine.
- from crontab it doesn't, only the cp command work.

what is the problem?

Why dont you try redirecting the cron output to some log file
Code:
 15 * * * * /moutaz/ciscolog/script >> /tmp/cron.log 2>&1

If in the perl script ( /moutaz/ciscolog/telnet.pl ) you may have used the perl instead of full path to perl,try that too

Thanks
Nagarajan G

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i use crontab in a script?

hi.. i wolud like to know if itīs possible use the crontab command in my script. the idea is what the script starts automatically, but i donīt know how to do it. please, help me.... thanks jonathan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DebianJ
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using a script to modify the crontab

I want to add one line to the end of my crontab using a script. I have tried piping in the editor commands, but I can't get it to work. crontab -e user << EX $a This is the text I want to add. . wq EX This doesn't work. Is there an easier way to do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnmsucpe
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add a script to Crontab?

Hi! We are on AIX 5.3 I have a script that must be run once every hour. How do i add this to the crontab? I know how to access crontab which is, crontab -e. What do i do after that ? If i have the path to the script? Thank you!!! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: atechcorp
4 Replies

4. Solaris

pl script in crontab

Hi I have successfukky created a sh script that runs perfectly well when run. It contains within a pl script that when run through a crontab will not run. Are there restrictions running a pl in cron? (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: rob171171
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

crontab script

Hi All, I am running a script to find the CPU and memory utilization of the server. Script name is atul. When i run this script then it gives the desired output as DATE, CPU and MEMORY utilization....as mentioned below: $ $ cat atul A=`date| cut -d" " -f1-4; top -d 1 -n 1 | awk '/^CPU... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: atulbassi83
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crontab script

Hi guys Can someone help me with a crontab script please? I have to sort the files from /bin and put the first 3 of then (with size and path) in /home/user/bin_size i write the command: find /bin/ | xargs ls -lS | awk 'FNR<4{print($5, $9)}' > /home/user/bin_size which is working but when I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: G30
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crontab script

Hi guys Can someone help me with a crontab script please? I have to sort the files from /bin and put the first 3 of then (with size and path) in /home/user/bin_size i write the command: find /bin/ | xargs ls -lS | awk 'FNR<4{print($5, $9)}' > /home/user/bin_size which is working but when... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: G30
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crontab + Script + .sql

Hi guys today i'll bring to you a new problem that i need to execute. So what i need to do it's create a script that: conect to some database logon run a .sql script logoff and close the connection after that, put this script on the crontab To set up the crontab it's ok for me, i think... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Newer
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crontab not running script

Hi All, I am having the below script to be run from crontab, it it doesnt run. 1 * * * * /home/cobr_ext/test.sh > /home/cobr_ext/temp.txt when i run i manally it runs without any issues. Could please help me as to why doesnt it run the script.:( (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi_123
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crontab in script

I have crontab setup via crontab -e I was wondering if its possible to create a cron job from a script so when the script is run the cron job is created? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptnewbie
3 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-c COMMAND] [-f] [-q] [-t] [file] DESCRIPTION
Script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. Options: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c COMMAND Run the COMMAND rather than an interactive shell. This makes it easy for a script to capture the output of a program that behaves differently when its stdout is not a tty. -f Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: One person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo' and another can super- vise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. -q Be quiet. -t Output timing data to standard error. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. Script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), scriptreplay(1). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
Script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. AVAILABILITY
The script command is part of the util-linux-ng package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux-ng/. Linux July 30, 2000 Linux