Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Root password for fresh 5.1 install on 43p-140? Post 302158586 by dukessd on Tuesday 15th of January 2008 08:02:10 PM
Old 01-15-2008
After install there is no root password, after (root) login you will be prompted to set the password.
I have seen this problem before with a few terminal setups.
Try a different console / serial cable / terminal emulator.
9600, 8, n, 1, hardware hand shake / Xon/Xoff
The serial cable needs to be both software and hardware wired, I'll go look for the pinouts.

Last edited by dukessd; 01-15-2008 at 09:07 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

11.0 fresh install: I never see CDE Login

I've just completed a fresh install of HP-UX 11.0 on my 712/80 and everything starts up fine until it gets to the point where X kicks off and I believe at this point is supposed to launch into the CDE login. It just sits there on the blank X screen with the X cursor for a minute or so then BEEPS... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ErikTheHAck
9 Replies

2. Solaris

Only LAN access after fresh install

Hello, For whatever reason, after installing Solaris 10 I can ping anything within my own LAN, including the router which is also set as the default gateway, but I have no internet connectivity with it. At first I thought this was a DNS issue, but I can't connect with external IP addresses... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Quadratic
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 8 - Asks for current root password when trying to change root password.

Hello All, I have several solaris boxes running Solaris 8. When changing root passwords on them, all will simply ask for the new root password to change and of course to re-type the new password. One of the systems however asks for the existing root password before it will display the new password... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tferrazz
8 Replies

4. Solaris

how to get the root password or how to install Sun OS?

I just got a used sun ultra enterprise 450 and need to get a username and password. If I cannot get easily how do I reinstall the OS. What OS can I put on its? I am new to some equipment. It also came with a a storage unit for extra hard drives and how would I use it and set it up also? It now... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bob5731
7 Replies

5. Solaris

Fresh install of solaris 10 using an ISO

Hi all Im rebuilding an 6800 domain with solaris 10. Server is located in a different town and cant be bothered to drive down and install a dvd into its drive. So, apart from jumpstarting it and using a local DVD, is there a way I can an ISO image to build a new client ?? eg. mount an ISO... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbk1972
2 Replies

6. Solaris

install eclipse under solaris without root password?

hi, Ho can I install eclipse under solaris without root password? Thanks. peter (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: laopi
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 8 fresh install halts

Installing Solaris 8 for the first time...on a SunBlade 100. I have original Solaris 8 CD's. About 45 minutes into the installation, the install halts with the following errors: ERROR: Could not open file /a/etc/vfstab ERROR: Could not create the file system mount table /etc/vfstab I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdunavent
4 Replies

8. AIX

ISCSI poor performance 1.5MB/s fresh install AIX7.1

Hi Everyone, I have been struggling for few days with iSCSI and thought I could get some help on the forum... fresh install of AIX7.1 TL4 on Power 710, The rootvg relies on 3 SAS disks in RAID 0, 32GB Memory The lpar Profile is using all of the managed system's resources. I have connected... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: frenchy59
11 Replies

9. Debian

Debian fresh install blinking cursor meaning?

Hello, I have downloaded and install debian in computer it is blinking cursor what this mean? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Riteshkakkar
6 Replies

10. Solaris

Fresh Install - Boot Load Failed

I have M10-1. Installation OS 10 from cdrom external. Here message from OK Prompt {0} ok probe-scsi-all /pci@8000/pci@4/pci@0/pci@2/pci@0/usb@4,1/cdrom@1 Unit 0 Removable Read Only device HL-DT-STDVDRAM GP65NB60 PF00 But.. {0} ok boot... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbahjiman
3 Replies
GRUB-INSTALL(8) 							FSF							   GRUB-INSTALL(8)

NAME
grub-install - install GRUB on your drive SYNOPSIS
grub-install [OPTION] install_device DESCRIPTION
Install GRUB on your drive. -h, --help print this message and exit -v, --version print the version information and exit --root-directory=DIR install GRUB images under the directory DIR instead of the root directory --grub-shell=FILE use FILE as the grub shell --no-floppy do not probe any floppy drive --force-lba force GRUB to use LBA mode even for a buggy BIOS --recheck probe a device map even if it already exists INSTALL_DEVICE can be a GRUB device name or a system device filename. grub-install copies GRUB images into the DIR/boot directory specfied by --root-directory, and uses the grub shell to install grub into the boot sector. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-grub@gnu.org>. SEE ALSO
grub(8), update-grub(8). The full documentation for grub-install is maintained as a Texinfo manual in the grub-legacy-doc package. If the info and grub-install programs are properly installed at your site, the command info grub-install should give you access to the complete manual. grub-install (GNU GRUB 0.97) January 2013 GRUB-INSTALL(8)