Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help deciphering script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help deciphering script Post 302158474 by Perderabo on Tuesday 15th of January 2008 12:18:39 PM
Old 01-15-2008
Hard to say without seeing file.awk. But maybe because 12-31-07.txt comes after 01-dd-yy.txt in a sort? This is why year-month-day is better. The 2 digit year is not a great idea either. It will fail if any date is in a different century. A 4 digit year will work for thousands of years and most of us try to use a 4 digit year where ever we can.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help deciphering FTP get perl script

I found this very useful perl script that will check a remote ftp server, search for files of a specific time and get them. When I run the script it works, but it gave me the following error: Couldn't get filename_12-13-07.txt Bad file number What in this script would cause this? I know... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deciphering the Code

Hi people I am trying to learn this code and see how it relates to the old DOS days. I have a line of code that I am not sure what the first part does. Any help will be greatly appreciated. It is from a Save command that is used to backup files to a directory. It goes like this if ;then... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: coyote1967
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deciphering strings or variable values

Hi, I have a script at the moment of which reads in simply what the latest version is within a folder i.e. v001, v002, v003 etc and then stores this latest version in a variable i.e. $LATEST would echo v003. I have then cut this string so that I only consider the 003 part. I would then like to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberfrog
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help deciphering this

I'm reading about command substitutions and came across this little function in my book: function lsd { date=$1 ls -l |grep -i "^.\{42\}$date"|cut -c55- } it's a little example which is supposed to select files by modification date, given as an argument to the function. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
3 Replies

5. Programming

Some help with Perl please (deciphering)

I am trying to simplify the coding in a script I was given, but it was written 7-10 years ago and is pretty complicated. below is a tidbit, if someone can break it down for me I would appreciate it. sub ParseText { my ($line, $key, $value, $sub, $script); foreach $line (@_)... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: callyvan
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help deciphering this if statement

I'm going through my bash book and came across this if statment. if *$)" ]; then the book says that the grep expression means "an initial dash followed by a digit" (which I understand) "optionally followed by one or more digits" That's the part I can't figure out -- I know the * is a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
8 Replies

7. Programming

Deciphering a tag character string

I have a string, eg 7f30.3 and I want to store things in the following way npos = 7 decform = true width = 30 ndp = 3 I need to read each character one by one. I am coding in fortran but I can try to code it should answer be given in C in the above way. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script works fine as a standalone script but not as part of a bigger script

Hello all, I am facing a weird issue while executing a code below - #!/bin/bash cd /wload/baot/home/baotasa0/sandboxes_finance/ext_ukba_bde/pset sh UKBA_publish.sh UKBA 28082015 3 if then echo "Param file conversion for all the areas are completed, please check in your home directory"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Deciphering AWK code

Dear experts, I am a relative novice in the Unix and came across a very useful code that I regularly use for my research blindly. I am wondering if any of the professional members could kindly briefly explain to me what the code actually does? Many thanks in advance The script is awk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arsalane
4 Replies
Time::Local(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					  Time::Local(3pm)

NAME
Time::Local - efficiently compute time from local and GMT time SYNOPSIS
$time = timelocal($sec,$min,$hour,$mday,$mon,$year); $time = timegm($sec,$min,$hour,$mday,$mon,$year); DESCRIPTION
These routines are the inverse of built-in perl functions localtime() and gmtime(). They accept a date as a six-element array, and return the corresponding time(2) value in seconds since the Epoch (Midnight, January 1, 1970). This value can be positive or negative. It is worth drawing particular attention to the expected ranges for the values provided. The value for the day of the month is the actual day (ie 1..31), while the month is the number of months since January (0..11). This is consistent with the values returned from local- time() and gmtime(). The timelocal() and timegm() functions perform range checking on the input $sec, $min, $hour, $mday, and $mon values by default. If you'd rather they didn't, you can explicitly import the timelocal_nocheck() and timegm_nocheck() functions. use Time::Local 'timelocal_nocheck'; { # The 365th day of 1999 print scalar localtime timelocal_nocheck 0,0,0,365,0,99; # The twenty thousandth day since 1970 print scalar localtime timelocal_nocheck 0,0,0,20000,0,70; # And even the 10,000,000th second since 1999! print scalar localtime timelocal_nocheck 10000000,0,0,1,0,99; } Your mileage may vary when trying these with minutes and hours, and it doesn't work at all for months. Strictly speaking, the year should also be specified in a form consistent with localtime(), i.e. the offset from 1900. In order to make the interpretation of the year easier for humans, however, who are more accustomed to seeing years as two-digit or four-digit values, the following conventions are followed: o Years greater than 999 are interpreted as being the actual year, rather than the offset from 1900. Thus, 1963 would indicate the year Martin Luther King won the Nobel prize, not the year 2863. o Years in the range 100..999 are interpreted as offset from 1900, so that 112 indicates 2012. This rule also applies to years less than zero (but see note below regarding date range). o Years in the range 0..99 are interpreted as shorthand for years in the rolling "current century," defined as 50 years on either side of the current year. Thus, today, in 1999, 0 would refer to 2000, and 45 to 2045, but 55 would refer to 1955. Twenty years from now, 55 would instead refer to 2055. This is messy, but matches the way people currently think about two digit dates. Whenever possible, use an absolute four digit year instead. The scheme above allows interpretation of a wide range of dates, particularly if 4-digit years are used. Please note, however, that the range of dates that can be actually be handled depends on the size of an integer (time_t) on a given plat- form. Currently, this is 32 bits for most systems, yielding an approximate range from Dec 1901 to Jan 2038. Both timelocal() and timegm() croak if given dates outside the supported range. IMPLEMENTATION
These routines are quite efficient and yet are always guaranteed to agree with localtime() and gmtime(). We manage this by caching the start times of any months we've seen before. If we know the start time of the month, we can always calculate any time within the month. The start times are calculated using a mathematical formula. Unlike other algorithms that do multiple calls to gmtime(). timelocal() is implemented using the same cache. We just assume that we're translating a GMT time, and then fudge it when we're done for the timezone and daylight savings arguments. Note that the timezone is evaluated for each date because countries occasionally change their official timezones. Assuming that localtime() corrects for these changes, this routine will also be correct. BUGS
The whole scheme for interpreting two-digit years can be considered a bug. The proclivity to croak() is probably a bug. perl v5.8.0 2002-06-01 Time::Local(3pm)