Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix vs Linux
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix vs Linux Post 302158301 by jurrien on Tuesday 15th of January 2008 02:26:01 AM
Old 01-15-2008
basicly such questions mostly end in a flamewar.

But it depends why you want to chose

The biggest differences for a company will possibly ibe the company that gives support.
and how it runs on your platform you want to run it on.
and one other option you could use to select one is what special feature you want to to have what is only aviable in taste X.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Where do I download LINUX & UNIX?

where is unix or linux?

this is going to sound really stupid, but i am new to unix and only have a tiny bit of experience with it such as typing in commands. that's about it. where can i get a copy of the unix software? isn't free to download somewhere? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crimzon
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX VS. Linux

Aahhhh!! I am so much frustrated trying to recover my superuser account. I need help!!! Please can anyone tell me how to recover a the root account? Thank you in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pnoi_blitz
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux is Unix???

Could anyone explain if Linux is Unix? I'm a newbie here, just installed Oracle 8i on Redhat 7.2. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prettyman
4 Replies

4. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

What is unix and is linux a unix system

Unix is the name of an operating system. And unix is a registered trademark. This is what makes things murky. One of my favorite books is The Design and Implementation of the 4.3BSD UNIX Operating System. That book is out of print, but a newer book is available: The Design and Implementation... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
0 Replies

5. Linux

UNIX and LINUX

Hey there, new to the forum :) Im currently at university studying UNIX, but i need some help. Can someone help me out with operational / technical differences between the two? Even if You just give me some topics i can go research them... much appreciated Josh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kiwi_bloke
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix to LINUX

quick question that may bring long answers :) I am currently looking into porting an existing Recital system from Unix to Linux. possibly not a good idea :) Basically; Would i be better shooting myself in the foot now? or do you know if there would be a fair expense due to buying Linux and the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kuz972
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix on linux

hi all, i have a linux operating system...can i practice unix commands on linux system....there is any changes in the commands.....can any one post some meterial.. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madhu_msinus@ya
1 Replies

8. Fedora

Which is the better platform to learn UNIX/Linux (Kali Linux Vs. Red Hat or other)?

I just started a new semester and I started my UNIX class yesterday. I've already decided to use python along with my learning process but what I really want to use with it is Kali as my UNIX/Linux platform to learn off of since I already wanted to learn Cyber Sec. anyways. I just wanted to know if... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ApacheOmega
12 Replies

9. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

VIP Membership - The UNIX and Linux Forums - Get Your UNIX.COM Email Address Here

We work hard to make The UNIX and Linux Forums one of the best UNIX and Linux knowledge sources on the net. The site is certainly one of the top UNIX and Linux Q&A sites on the web. In order to provide certain members the best quality account services, you can now get some great extra features by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
2 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

YouTube: Forum Moderation @UNIX.com | The UNIX and Linux Forums

Forum Moderation @UNIX.com | The UNIX and Linux Forums https://youtu.be/WGwgibE4Rq0 Also note: In the video I mentioned removing legacy menu items in the ModCP which are unused. I have already "CSS'ed out" the unused menu items: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies
GIT-SHORTLOG(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-SHORTLOG(1)

NAME
git-shortlog - Summarize 'git log' output SYNOPSIS
git log --pretty=short | git shortlog [<options>] git shortlog [<options>] [<revision range>] [[--] <path>...] DESCRIPTION
Summarizes git log output in a format suitable for inclusion in release announcements. Each commit will be grouped by author and title. Additionally, "[PATCH]" will be stripped from the commit description. If no revisions are passed on the command line and either standard input is not a terminal or there is no current branch, git shortlog will output a summary of the log read from standard input, without reference to the current repository. OPTIONS
-n, --numbered Sort output according to the number of commits per author instead of author alphabetic order. -s, --summary Suppress commit description and provide a commit count summary only. -e, --email Show the email address of each author. --format[=<format>] Instead of the commit subject, use some other information to describe each commit. <format> can be any string accepted by the --format option of git log, such as * [%h] %s. (See the "PRETTY FORMATS" section of git-log(1).) Each pretty-printed commit will be rewrapped before it is shown. -w[<width>[,<indent1>[,<indent2>]]] Linewrap the output by wrapping each line at width. The first line of each entry is indented by indent1 spaces, and the second and subsequent lines are indented by indent2 spaces. width, indent1, and indent2 default to 76, 6 and 9 respectively. If width is 0 (zero) then indent the lines of the output without wrapping them. <revision range> Show only commits in the specified revision range. When no <revision range> is specified, it defaults to HEAD (i.e. the whole history leading to the current commit). origin..HEAD specifies all the commits reachable from the current commit (i.e. HEAD), but not from origin. For a complete list of ways to spell <revision range>, see the "Specifying Ranges" section of gitrevisions(7). [--] <path>... Consider only commits that are enough to explain how the files that match the specified paths came to be. Paths may need to be prefixed with "-- " to separate them from options or the revision range, when confusion arises. MAPPING AUTHORS
The .mailmap feature is used to coalesce together commits by the same person in the shortlog, where their name and/or email address was spelled differently. If the file .mailmap exists at the toplevel of the repository, or at the location pointed to by the mailmap.file or mailmap.blob configuration options, it is used to map author and committer names and email addresses to canonical real names and email addresses. In the simple form, each line in the file consists of the canonical real name of an author, whitespace, and an email address used in the commit (enclosed by < and >) to map to the name. For example: Proper Name <commit@email.xx> The more complex forms are: <proper@email.xx> <commit@email.xx> which allows mailmap to replace only the email part of a commit, and: Proper Name <proper@email.xx> <commit@email.xx> which allows mailmap to replace both the name and the email of a commit matching the specified commit email address, and: Proper Name <proper@email.xx> Commit Name <commit@email.xx> which allows mailmap to replace both the name and the email of a commit matching both the specified commit name and email address. Example 1: Your history contains commits by two authors, Jane and Joe, whose names appear in the repository under several forms: Joe Developer <joe@example.com> Joe R. Developer <joe@example.com> Jane Doe <jane@example.com> Jane Doe <jane@laptop.(none)> Jane D. <jane@desktop.(none)> Now suppose that Joe wants his middle name initial used, and Jane prefers her family name fully spelled out. A proper .mailmap file would look like: Jane Doe <jane@desktop.(none)> Joe R. Developer <joe@example.com> Note how there is no need for an entry for <jane@laptop.(none)>, because the real name of that author is already correct. Example 2: Your repository contains commits from the following authors: nick1 <bugs@company.xx> nick2 <bugs@company.xx> nick2 <nick2@company.xx> santa <me@company.xx> claus <me@company.xx> CTO <cto@coompany.xx> Then you might want a .mailmap file that looks like: <cto@company.xx> <cto@coompany.xx> Some Dude <some@dude.xx> nick1 <bugs@company.xx> Other Author <other@author.xx> nick2 <bugs@company.xx> Other Author <other@author.xx> <nick2@company.xx> Santa Claus <santa.claus@northpole.xx> <me@company.xx> Use hash # for comments that are either on their own line, or after the email address. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.5.3 01/14/2014 GIT-SHORTLOG(1)