Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: pattern matching
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting pattern matching Post 302158161 by mercuryshipzz on Monday 14th of January 2008 02:31:02 PM
Old 01-14-2008
pattern matching

Hi,
I am newbee to perl.

I wanna search a file and fetch a pattern starting with
"Total pancakes produced:" and get the numeric value present after the colon.

but, the filename and the phrase(Total pancakes producedSmilie must be given as input since the input varies everytime.

For example:

the file we are gonna search might contain:

Total pancakes produced: 30
Total muffin produced: 50
Total donuts produced: 70

i want to get the number 30 from tat file. the filename mite be bakers.txt
assuming that the file might have only one occurance of this particular phrase we give as input.

i am able fetch for one string but not for a bunch of string

Since the line contains only one numeric value always i wud do it by using \d.

can anybody give suggestions for my problem?

thanks,
mercury

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

comment/delete a particular pattern starting from second line of the matching pattern

Hi, I have file 1.txt with following entries as shown: 0152364|134444|10.20.30.40|015236433 0233654|122555|10.20.30.50|023365433 ** ** ** In file 2.txt I have the following entries as shown: 0152364|134444|10.20.30.40|015236433 0233654|122555|10.20.30.50|023365433... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: imas
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pattern Matching

Hi Folks, I have the following requirement: I have a file that is containing numerous queries. The tables name mentioned in the queries are in the following format : SchemaName.Tablename. e.g COPDB.TableName. I need to take out all the COPDB.TableName pattern and write it to a different... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siv_Pat
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern Matching

Hi Folks, I have the following requirement: I have a file that is containing numerous queries. The tables name mentioned in the queries are in the following format : SchemaName.Tablename. e.g COPDB.TableName. I need to take out all the COPDB.TableName pattern and write it to a different... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siv_Pat
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting the lines matching a pattern, in between two pattern, and generate a tab

Hi all, I'm looking for some help. I have a file (very long) that is organized like below: >Cluster 0 0 283nt, >01_FRYJ6ZM12HMXZS... at +/99% 1 279nt, >01_FRYJ6ZM12HN12A... at +/99% 2 281nt, >01_FRYJ6ZM12HM4TS... at +/99% 3 283nt, >01_FRYJ6ZM12HM946... at +/99% 4 279nt,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: d.chauliac
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - matching pattern one but not pattern two

All, I have the following file: -------------------------------------- # # /etc/pam.d/common-password - password-related modules common to all services # # This file is included from other service-specific PAM config files, # and should contain a list of modules that define the services... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RobertBerrie
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find pattern suffix matching pattern

Hi, I am trying to get a result out of this but fails please help. Have two files /tmp/1 & /tmp/hosts. /tmp/1 IP=123.456.789.01 WAS_HOSTNAME=abcdefgh.was.tb.dsdc /tmp/hosts 123.456.789.01 I want this result in /tmp/hosts if hostname is already there dont want duplicate entry. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshwebspere
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: printing lines AFTER pattern matching EXCLUDING the line containing the pattern

'Hi I'm using the following code to extract the lines(and redirect them to a txt file) after the pattern match. But the output is inclusive of the line with pattern match. Which option is to be used to exclude the line containing the pattern? sed -n '/Conn.*User/,$p' > consumers.txt (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: essem
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP - Regex for matching string containing pattern but without pattern itself

The sample file: dept1: user1,user2,user3 dept2: user4,user5,user6 dept3: user7,user8,user9 I want to match by '/^dept2.*/' but don't want to have substring 'dept2:' in output. How to compose such regex? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep -v lines starting with pattern 1 and not matching pattern 2

Hi all! Thanks for taking the time to view this! I want to grep out all lines of a file that starts with pattern 1 but also does not match with the second pattern. Example: Drink a soda Eat a banana Eat multiple bananas Drink an apple juice Eat an apple Eat multiple apples I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: demmel
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Big pattern file matching within another pattern file in awk or shell

Hi I need to do a patten match between files . I am new to shell scripting and have come up with this so far. It take 50 seconds to process files of 2mb size . I need to tune this code as file size will be around 50mb and need to save time. Main issue is that I need to search the pattern from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitin_daharwal
2 Replies
footprints(1)						      General Commands Manual						     footprints(1)

NAME
footprints - summarize information from compiler footprint records SYNOPSIS
filename... DESCRIPTION
The command scans the named object files, analyzes the compiler footprint records stored in those files, and generates a summary report. This report is intended for use by HP support and lab engineers to assist in problem diagnosis. The report contains the following information: o Total number of compilation units found. o Earliest and latest compiler timestamp, and the linker timestamp (if available). o Total size of text and data segments. o List of compiler versions used, with number of compilation units compiled with each version. o List of options used, with number of compilation units compiled with each option setting. This list is separated into two groups, with the most interesting options in the first group, followed by all remaining options alphabetized in the second group. The following file types are recognized: o Executable files and shared libraries. The command will attempt to find all dependent, non-system shared libraries and will print a separate report for each shared library. If the or environment variable is set, it will search for dependent libraries in the directories listed in the environ- ment variable (if is set, will be ignored). It will also use the embedded search path in the object file. If a shared library cannot be located, a diagnostic will be printed and execution will continue. o Archive libraries. The command will scan each object file member of the archive. o Relocatable object files. The command will scan the named object files. The command supports SOM and ELF object file formats, 32-bit and 64-bit code, and PA-RISC and Integrity systems. It supports compiler footprints produced by the HP C and C++ compilers. Compilation units produced by other compilers may not be reflected in the summary. Options The command recognizes the following options: Print the version number and quit. Verbose mode: prints detail information about each compilation unit found. Prints warnings for possible compatibility problems. Currently, it prints a warning for any compilation units built for Integrity systems with a C/C++ compiler earlier than Version A.05.50. Warnings are printed to stderr with three asterisks at the beginning of the line. EXAMPLES
The following example shows the beginning of a typical summary report: Scanning /usr/bin/ksh ... Compiler footprint summary Number of compilation units: 51 Earliest compiler timestamp: N/A Latest compiler timestamp: N/A Linker timestamp: 15-Jul-2006 13:07 UTC Total size: 425.8K (text) 24.8K (data) version [A.06.11/ANSI C 51] architecture [ipf32 51] -O [01 1] [02 50] PBO [off 51] -g [off 51] debugopt [off 51] +Ointeger_overflow [moderate 51] +Olit [const 51] +eh [off 51] -fpeval [float 51] -inline [1 1] [2 50] -link_type [dynamic 51] -mt [(off) 51] -rodata [cond 51] ... The line shows that all 51 compilation units were compiled with Version A.06.11 of the ANSI C compiler. The line shows that the applica- tion was compiled for Integrity systems (Itanium(R) Product Family) in the 32-bit data model. The line shows that one compilation unit was compiled at the default level of optimization (level 01), and the other 50 were compiled at level 02. According to the line, all 51 were compiled without profile-based optimization. The line shows that no compilation units were compiled with the symbolic debug option. Otherwise, the line would show the number of compi- lation units compiled with various combinations of symbolic debug and higher optimization levels. For on/off options like settings listed in parentheses represent a default setting not overridden by a compiler option. Many of the options in the footprint record do not correspond directly to a command-line compiler switch, or have a different spelling, and are included in this report for use by HP support and lab engineers. See cc(1) for a description of supported command-line switches. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
cc(1), elfdump(1), odump(1). footprints(1)