Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Opening Files as command line arguments Post 302157919 by Cactus Jack on Sunday 13th of January 2008 05:16:18 PM
Old 01-13-2008
Opening Files as command line arguments

Hi have set a command line argument where the user enters the filename.

I have set a condition that if the command line is null (user just enters return), the script will exit (with an error message).

However, what if the user types something and the file isn't found. How will I go about defining that condition?

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

command line arguments

Hi How to pass multi line text as a command line argument to a program. (i.e) ./a.out hi this is sample 0 file1 where hi this is sample should be stored in argv 0 in argv and so on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bankpro
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

arguments in command line

Hi all, How many arguments can we pass while testing a prgm at command line.. I encountered an issue while passing 10 arguments. For $10 its taking argument passed for $1 followed by 'zero'. can we pass more than 9 arguments /Is there any other way. Thanks, rrs (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrs
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

i want to list all command line arguments except

Hi all i want to list out all command line arguments except $1 i have passed to a script. Ex: sh cmdline.sh one two three four five o/p: two three four five (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naree
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

command line arguments

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have this while loop and at the end I am trying to get it to tell me the last argument I entered. And with it like this all I get is the sentence with no value for $1. Now I tried moving done after the sentence... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skooly5
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command line arguments.

I am working on a script wherein i need the user to enter the Build ID for eg:the command line will show enter the build ID Now on entering the build ID it should be assigned to @ARGV. How can this be done.? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Varghese
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command line arguments

hi, can someone how to accept command line arguments as a variable using in script? like: ./scriptname arguments by accept arguments, I can use it in my script? thx! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ikeQ
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

command line arguments

hi,,,, I want to create a command prompt, for example "prompt>", so my prompt need to handle commands, for example "prompt>cmd", so i want to know how to get arguments for my own commands cmd, i.e. default argc should contain arguments count and argv should point to the argument vector i.e, for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vins_89
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to read command line arguments?

I am new to schell scripting . My objective is to write a ksh shell script that performs following tasks: - 1. Script reads all command line arguments (arguments are file names) and checks if it contains charachters "abc" in it. 2. If it contains "abc" it will execute a binary file xyz <command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: acmilan
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Incorrect number of command line arguments and missing required files

I am developing a script. This script takes in one parameter which is the name of a file whose content is a list of names of some files. The script can check whether those files exist in current directory. Here is my question: If the number of provided parameters is less than one or one of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ray Sun
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Loop with command line arguments

Ubuntum, Bash version: 4.3.46 Hi, how can I create a loop where the command line arguments change (increase) and every time the number of arguments is different ? ### I have many gene names... that mean gene1=$2, gene2=$3, ...... geneN=$N+1 ### some time the number of gene is 25, other... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: echo manolis
7 Replies
test(1F)							   FMLI Commands							  test(1F)

NAME
test - condition evaluation command SYNOPSIS
test expression expression DESCRIPTION
test evaluates the expression expression and if its value is true, sets a 0 (TRUE) exit status; otherwise, a non-zero (FALSE) exit status is set; test also sets a non-zero exit status if there are no arguments. When permissions are tested, the effective user ID of the process is used. All operators, flags, and brackets (brackets used as shown in the second SYNOPSIS line) must be separate arguments to test. Normally these items are separated by spaces. USAGE
Primitives The following primitives are used to construct expression: -r filename True if filename exists and is readable. -w filename True if filename exists and is writable. -x filename True if filename exists and is executable. -f filename True if filename exists and is a regular file. -d filename True if filename exists and is a directory. -c filename True if filename exists and is a character special file. -b filename True if filename exists and is a block special file. -p filename True if filename exists and is a named pipe (FIFO). -u filename True if filename exists and its set-user-ID bit is set. -g filename True if filename exists and its set-group-ID bit is set. -k filename True if filename exists and its sticky bit is set. -s filename True if filename exists and has a size greater than 0. -t[fildes] True if the open file whose file descriptor number is fildes (1 by default) is associated with a terminal device. -z s1 True if the length of string s1 is 0. -n s1 True if the length of the string s1 is non-zero. s1 = s2 True if strings s1 and s2 are identical. s1 != s2 True if strings s1 and s2 are not identical. s1 True if s1 is not the null string. n1 -eq n2 True if the integers n1 and n2 are algebraically equal. Any of the comparisons -ne, -gt, -ge, -lt, and -le may be used in place of -eq. Operators These primaries may be combined with the following operators: ! Unary negation operator. -a Binary and operator. -o Binary or operator (-a has higher precedence than -o). `(expression)` Parentheses for grouping. Notice also that parentheses are meaningful to the shell and, therefore, must be quoted. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
find(1), sh(1), attributes(5) NOTES
If you test a file you own (the -r , -w , or -x tests), but the permission tested does not have the owner bit set, a non-zero (false) exit status will be returned even though the file may have the group or other bit set for that permission. The correct exit status will be set if you are super-user. The = and != operators have a higher precedence than the -r through -n operators, and = and != always expect arguments; therefore, = and != cannot be used with the -r through -n operators. If more than one argument follows the -r through -n operators, only the first argument is examined; the others are ignored, unless a -a or a -o is the second argument. SunOS 5.11 5 Jul 1990 test(1F)