Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting String search and return value from column Post 302157739 by fpmurphy on Saturday 12th of January 2008 02:24:48 AM
Old 01-12-2008
Code:
#/bin/ksh

read value?"Enter the value to search for: "

awk -v val=$value '$8 == val  { printf("%s %s %s %s\n", $2, $3, $4, $5) }' infile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for string dublicates in column

Hi I have a file with one column. There are a few replicas in this column, that is some lines look exactly the same. I want to know the ones that occur twice. Inputfile.xml "AAH.dbEUR" "ECT.dbEUR" "AEGN.dbEUR" "AAH.dbEUR" "AKZO.dbEUR" ... Here I would like to be informed that... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lulle
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search string and return only the 5th line

I have looked at almost every posting on here regarding, grep, sed, awk, nawk, perl methods to perform this function, but they are just not returning the results I hope to see. Example File: abcdef 123456 ghijkl 7890123 7890123 7890123 7890123 mnopqrs 456789 This is the most... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: doza22
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search in a column by a string

Hi All, My file looks like : hsdhj dsajhf jshdfajkh jksdhfj jkdhsfj shfjhd shdf hdsfjkh jsdfhj hdshf sdjh dhs foot dsjhfj jdshf dasfh jdsh dsjfh jdfshj david Now, I want to search entire column by a string... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for string and return lines above and below

Hi, I have a file with the following contents: COMPANY ABCD TRUCKER JOE SMITH TRUCK 456 PLATE A12345678 TRUCKER BILL JONES TRUCK 789 PLATE B7894561 I need to create a script or search command that will search for this string '789' in the file. This string is unique and only... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: doza22
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search for string and return substring

Hi, I have a file with the following contents: I need to create a script or search command that will search for this string 'ENDC' in the file. This string is unique and only occurs in one record. Once it finds the string, I would like it to return positions 101-109 ( this is the date of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lenora2009
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search for string and return binary result?

Hi, I have a problem that I am sure someone will know the answer to. Currently I have a script which returns a binary output if it finds a certain search string (in this case relating to a DRBD cluster) as follows: searchstring="cs:Connected st:Primary/Secondary ds:UpToDate/UpToDate" && echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: almightybunghol
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a string in a particular column of file and return the line number of the line

Hi All, Can you please guide me to search a string in a particular column of file and return the line number of the line where it was found using awk. As an example : abc.txt 7000,john,2,1,0,1,6 7001,elen,2,2,0,1,7 7002,sami,2,3,0,1,6 7003,mike,1,4,0,2,1 8001,nike,1,5,0,1,8... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunshankar.c
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: need to have egrep to return a text string if the search pattern has NOT been found

Hello all, after spending hours of searching the web I decided to create an account here. This is my first post and I hope one of the experts can help. I need to resolve a grep / sed / xargs / awk problem. My input file is just like this: ----------------------------------... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bash4ever
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Recursively search the string from a column in no. of files

i have a file named keyword.csv(contains around 8k records) which contains a no. of columns. The 5th column contains all the keywords. I want to recursively search these keywords in all .pl files(around 1k) and display the filename....Afterthat i will use the filename and some of the column from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a column a return a set of words

Hi I have two files. One is a text file consisting of sentences i.e. INPUT.txt and the second file is SEARCH.txt consisting of two or three columns. I need help to write a script to search the second column of SEARCH.txt for each set of five words (blue color as set one and green color as set... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
6 Replies
sccs-val(1)							   User Commands						       sccs-val(1)

NAME
sccs-val, val - validate an SCCS file SYNOPSIS
/usr/ccs/bin/val - /usr/ccs/bin/val [-s] [-m name] [-rsid] [-y type] s.filename... DESCRIPTION
The val utility determines if the specified s.files meet the characteristics specified by the indicated arguments. val can process up to 50 files on a single command line. val has a special argument, `-', which reads the standard input until the end-of-file condition is detected. Each line read is indepen- dently processed as if it were a command line argument list. val generates diagnostic messages on the standard output for each command line and file processed and also returns a single 8-bit code upon exit as described below. The 8-bit code returned by val is a disjunction of the possible errors, that is, it can be interpreted as a bit string where (moving from left to right) the bits set are interpreted as follows: bit 0 = missing file argument bit 1 = unknown or duplicate option bit 2 = corrupted s.file bit 3 = can not open file or file not in s.file format bit 4 = the SCCS delta ID (SID) is invalid or ambiguous bit 5 = the SID does not exist bit 6 = mismatch between %Y% and -y argument bit 7 = mismatch between %M% and -m argument val can process two or more files on a given command line, and in turn can process multiple command lines (when reading the standard input). In these cases, an aggregate code is returned which is the logical OR of the codes generated for each command line and file pro- cessed. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -s Silent. Suppresses the normal error or warning messages. -m name Compares name with the %M% ID keyword in the s.file. -rsid Checks to see if the indicated SID is ambiguous, invalid, or absent from the s.file. -y type Compares type with the %Y% ID keyword. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of val: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWsprot | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sccs(1), sccs-admin(1), sccs-delta(1), sccs-get(1), sccs-help(1), what(1), sccsfile(4), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) DIAGNOSTICS
Use the SCCS help command for explanations (see sccs-help(1)). SunOS 5.10 30 Sep 2002 sccs-val(1)