Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: RAID5 problems on solaris
Operating Systems Solaris RAID5 problems on solaris Post 302157727 by frank_rizzo on Friday 11th of January 2008 09:59:44 PM
Old 01-11-2008
you have critical data but no backup??? Did you confirm if you have a failed disk?

what is the output of

Code:
/usr/sbin/metastat -i
iostat -En
dmesg

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

Raid5 Failure

Forgive me, I do not know much about RAID so I'm going to be as detailed as possible. This morning, our server's alarm was going. I found that one of our drives have failed. (we have 3) It is an Adaptec ATA RAID 2400A controller I'm purchasing a new SCSI drive today. My questions: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gseyforth
2 Replies

2. AIX

Can not increase capacity of the vg using raid5 with ssa disks

hi all, i have an p620 server. it has 2 scsi 18gb disks for aix4.3 OS and 3 ssa disks for database and an serialRAID adapter. 3 ssa disks configured raid level 5. to increase capacity of the datavg, i buy 2 ssa 18gb disks. but i can not add them to the existing datavg. i did the following... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tinhlx
1 Replies

3. AIX

Software-based RAID5 on Aix

Hello All. Is it possible? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sapbcer
5 Replies

4. AIX

how to mirror raid5

Hi, I have an ssa filesystem to move to san. We don't want any downtime. I heard that you can do a mirroring of existing file system on the san. The file system is a type of either raid 0, raid 1, or raid 5. Anyone know how to do this? Thanks in advance, itik (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
4 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Problem booting a linux (RAID5)

Hello, we have a problem with our system, a machine with a RAID5: - We can boot the system from CD only, if we try to boot from hard-disk the GRUB seems to be "freezed". What is the difference, why we can boot from CD if something is wrong? - Allways we retreive an error like: "raid array is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aristegui
6 Replies

6. Red Hat

Is overlapping two RAID5 arrays on same drives a bad idea ??

is placing two RAID5 arrays on disk as shown below Is advisable? Will this create performance problems? sda-(500GB) sdb-(1TB) sdc-(1TB) sdd-(1TB) (250MB)----------(250MB) ---------unused------------unused------->(/dev/md0) RAID1 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saed
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

RAID5 multi disk failure

Hi there, Don't know if my title is relevant but I'm dealing with dangerous materials that I don't really know and I'm very afraid to mess anything up. I have a Debian 5.0.4 server with 4 x 1TB hard drives. I have the following mdstat Personalities : md1 : active raid1 sda1 sdd1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
3 Replies

8. SuSE

Raid5

Hi all, I am currently using opensuse 12.1, We have Raid 5 array of 8 disks. A friend of mine accidently removed a drive & place it back and also added a new disk to it(making it 9 disks). now the output of mdadm --detail is as shown below si64:/dev # mdadm --detail /dev/md3 /dev/md3:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: patilrajashekar
1 Replies

9. Hardware

RAID5 + STRIPED LUNs

Hello Experts, I have few doubts on RAID 5 with LUNs carved as STRIPE and CONCAT RAID 5 = STRIPE + Parity mirroring I would like to know if the LUNs carved are CONCATE from RAID 5 disk array. Are the I/Os are spread accross the disks within the RAID 5 Array? And if I do carve STRIPED... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sybadm
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

Install RHEL6 on x3650M4 with RAID5

Hi All, I have a new x3650 M4 server with hardware RAID 5 configured 4 x 300 GB (HDD). The Raid controller is ServeRAID M5110e. Im getting "device not found" error during hardisk detection of RHEL6 install using DVD. Some pages over the net pointed to using ServerGuide media for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Solaris_Begin
1 Replies
iostat(1)						      General Commands Manual							 iostat(1)

NAME
iostat - Reports I/O statistics SYNOPSIS
iostat [drive...] [interval] [count] OPERANDS
Forces iostat to display specific drives. If drive is not specified (or the specified drive does not exist on the system or cluster, iostat displays the first two drives (even if more than two disk drives are configured in the system). Causes iostat to report once each interval seconds. The first report is for all time since the system was last booted, and each subsequent report is for the last interval only.The value must not be 0. Specifies the number of reports. For example, iostat 1 10 would produce 10 reports at 1-second intervals. You cannot specify count without interval because the first numeric argument to iostat is assumed to be interval. DESCRIPTION
The iostat command reports the following information: For terminals (collectively), the number of characters read and written per second. For each disk, the number of transfers per second and bytes transferred per second (in kilobytes). For the system, the percentage of time the system has spent in user mode, in user mode running low priority (nice) processes, in system mode, and idling. To compute this information, iostat counts data transfer completions, the number of words transferred for each disk, and the collective number of input and output characters for terminals. Also, each sixtieth of a second, iostat examines the state of each disk and makes a tally if the disk is active. When you issue an iostat command on a cluster member, it displays statistics only for those disks that are local to the member and that member's usage of those shared disks that it has mounted. It displays 0 for other disks in the cluster (those it doesn't have mounted), regardless of whether they are on the shared bus or are local to some other member. EXAMPLES
The output from this example displays cpu, terminal, and disk statistics for the first two disks on the system providing 5 reports at 1 second intervals: # iostat 1 5 tty floppy1 dsk9 cpu tin tout bps tps bps tps us ni sy id 0 3 0 0 0 0 1 0 4 95 4 58 0 0 0 0 1 0 2 97 1 53 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 98 5 59 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 98 6 60 0 0 0 0 1 0 2 97 The second example specifies device names in the command: # iostat dsk2 dsk3 cdrom2 tty dsk2 cdrom2 dsk3 cpu tin tout bps tps bps tps bps tps us ni sy id 0 13 11 5 5 2 2427 1213 0 1 1 98 SEE ALSO
Commands:vmstat(1) iostat(1)