Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting comparison of strings in unix shell scripting Post 302157604 by jim mcnamara on Friday 11th of January 2008 12:24:08 PM
Old 01-11-2008
Code:
echo $VALUE >./logs/TCU-`date '+%Y%m%d-%H%M%S'`-PURGE.log
echo "$VALUE" | grep -q 'SUCCESS' 
return $?

will return 1 on failure 0 on success - is that what you mean?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting.

please give the difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison of 2 strings

I need some help with a script which accepts multiple rows of input (analysis from a virtual robot's testrun) from the standard in, and compares it as a whole with another file featuring erroneous data from a virtual robot's test run. What I want it to be able to do is slice off all the erroneous... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Retribution
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching strings in unix shell programming

#!bin/sh `clear` for i in $(seq -w 15 37); do #echo $i wget --dns-timeout=0.0005 http://napdweb${i}.eao.abn-iad.ea.com:8000/webcore/test/test.jsp -o 1 A=`cat 1` C=$(expr "$A" :... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: veerumahanthi41
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison of two files which contains strings using Shell scripting or PERL

Hi, I need sample code to compare the two files line by line which contains text strings and to print the difference in the third file. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudhakaryadav
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Case insensitive comparison of strings

Hi All, In one shell script I have In variable "i" I am getting a full path of a file. Now I want to compare something like -- upper(*Nav*)) I dont want to do like below because in each CASE statement I doing so many operations. Please guide me. Thanks in advance... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishalaksha
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract exact strings in shell scripting

/Path/snowbird9/nrfCompMgrRave1230100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message. /Path/snowbird6/nrfCompMgrRave1220100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message. /Path/snowbird14/nrfCompMgrRave920100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirisha
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Comparison in Korn shell scripting

I have a scenario to implement in Korn shell script. Here it is.. I need to compare two values to see whether they are same or not. The issue is that the values coming in for comparison can be a string or an integer which can be determined during run time only. Which korn shell comparison... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vani123
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Shell Scripting( Calling from Unix to PLSQL)

Hello Experts, I have the following questions to be discussed here at this esteemed discussion forum. I have two Excel sheets which contain Unix Commands llike creating directory the structure/ftp/Copy/Zip etc to basically create an environment. I need help in understanding some of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: faizsaadq
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison treating strings as zero integers

I'm trying to write a bash script to perform basic arithmetic operations but I want to run a comparison on the arguments first to check that they're a number greater than zero. I want an error to pop up if the arguments args aren't >= 0 so I have: if ! ]; then echo "bad number: $1" fi ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: TierAngst
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a name of a file by comparison of strings

Hello everybody, I need to create a file name from string. The thing is: I have a directory with files e.g: test.123 test.234 test.345 test.987 The name should be made from the first and last name of file alphabetically and from the directory, they are in, eg. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satin1321
2 Replies
MSSQL_FIELD_SEEK(3)													       MSSQL_FIELD_SEEK(3)

mssql_field_seek - Seeks to the specified field offset

SYNOPSIS
bool mssql_field_seek (resource $result, int $field_offset) DESCRIPTION
Seeks to the specified field offset. If the next call to mssql_fetch_field(3) won't include a field offset, this field would be returned. PARAMETERS
o $result - The result resource that is being evaluated. This result comes from a call to mssql_query(3). o $field_offset - The field offset, starts at 0. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Using mssql_field_seek(3) on the example for mssql_fetch_field(3) <?php // Connect to MSSQL and select the database mssql_connect('MANGOSQLEXPRESS', 'sa', 'phpfi'); mssql_select_db('php'); // Send a select query to MSSQL $query = mssql_query('SELECT * FROM [php].[dbo].[persons]'); // Construct table echo '<h3>Table structure for 'persons'</h3>'; echo '<table border="1">'; // Table header echo '<thead>'; echo '<tr>'; echo '<td>Field name</td>'; echo '<td>Data type</td>'; echo '<td>Max length</td>'; echo '</tr>'; echo '</thead>'; // Dump all fields echo '<tbody>'; for ($i = 0; $i < mssql_num_fields($query); ++$i) { // Fetch the field information, notice the // field_offset parameter is not set. See // the mssql_field_seek call below $field = mssql_fetch_field($query); // Print the row echo '<tr>'; echo '<td>' . $field->name . '</td>'; echo '<td>' . strtoupper($field->type) . '</td>'; echo '<td>' . $field->max_length . '</td>'; echo '</tr>'; // Move the internal seek pointer to the next // row in the result set mssql_field_seek($query, $i + 1); } echo '</tbody>'; echo '</table>'; // Free the query result mssql_free_result($query); ?> SEE ALSO
mssql_fetch_field(3). PHP Documentation Group MSSQL_FIELD_SEEK(3)