Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting writing Enter key inside in shell script Post 302155542 by jiin on Friday 4th of January 2008 11:45:01 AM
Old 01-04-2008
writing Enter key inside in shell script

If you are attempting to automate interactive sessions within a script try using expect or perl. Expect has a utility called "autoexpect" which is similar to "script". It will record the session that you want to automate while you perform it once. Then simply edit out the noise. Then you may execute the script as many times as you like.

jiin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disabling ctrl-Z key inside shell script

Hi I have tried to disable the CTRL-Z key inside a shell(sh) script using the command trap "`echo "Ctrl-Z key disabled"`" 20But I am not able to exit from the script after pressing CTRL-Z key. How to proceed this? Need reply soon (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: suganthic
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pressing backspace key simulates enter key

Hi, Whenever i press the backspace key, a new line appears, i.e. it works like a enter key. :confused: Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

using enter key in shell script

without pressing the enter key ..manually... how can we read the enter key ..from the shell script..so that the script termintes automatically. eg: telnet a.b.c.d xxxx now " how to read the enter key" tho terminate the script (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bishweshwar
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to catch ENTER key inside the shell script?

Hi, I have a script in which i have to ask user to press the ENTER key to proceed further. can you please help me how can i achive this in my scripting? echo "All the executables builded Successfully " echo " Press Enter to Go Back to the Main Menu" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: plaban.rout
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

enter key solaris

Hi, When I run script on Sun Solaris (sassetup), it prompts to "Press Enter To Continue". Now I want to automate this, ie put sassetup in a script file. So, when I run this file, it should be executed automatically without waiting for anyone to press Enter Key. I have tried the following... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sajjunaqvi
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simulating enter key via shell script

How to simulate enter key via shell script (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to enter a return key in bash script?

Hi, I'm porting an install script from AIX to Red Hat (2.6.18-164.el5 #1 SMP) I have this script working in both AIX and HP-UX. The script is a wrapper for a Micro Focus Server Express install program. It responds to the install program questions with a here-now list. Responses includes... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: duker61
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sqlplus inside shell script writing to tmp file

Hi, facing an issue while calling sqlplus inside shell script. It for some reason goes to tmp file to write something and i get error as permission denied as i dont have access there. ANy idea why sqlplus writes in /tmp and how to change or stop this ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rushikeshs
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass enter key or selected character in bash script?

hi, i've bash script thats working... but now i need to add a line....that prompts for user input....like yes and 1 as complete install.... so here's how it looks... $ cd 9200 (cd into directory) $./install (hv to type ./install to run install then ask for) ----do you want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kernel11
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script termination without pressing Enter key[nohup]

I have a script in which we have used nohup. Once script is executed it will be terminated only when enter key is pressed. I want the script to be terminated without pressing enter key nohup imqbrokerd -name user_id port 2>1 1>$home_`date` & I am a newbie to shell, Kindly please help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Suganbabu
3 Replies
SCRIPT(1)							   User Commands							 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script - make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [options] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything displayed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves the dialogue in this file. If no filename is given, the dialogue is saved in the file type- script. OPTIONS
-a, --append Append the output to file or to typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c, --command command Run the command rather than an interactive shell. This makes it easy for a script to capture the output of a program that behaves differently when its stdout is not a tty. -e, --return Return the exit code of the child process. Uses the same format as bash termination on signal termination exit code is 128+n. -f, --flush Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: one person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo', and another can supervise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. --force Allow the default output destination, i.e. the typescript file, to be a hard or symbolic link. The command will follow a symbolic link. -q, --quiet Be quiet (do not write start and done messages to standard output). -t[file], --timing[=file] Output timing data to standard error, or to file when given. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. NOTES
The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D for the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. It is not recommended to run script in non-interactive shells. The inner shell of script is always interactive, and this could lead to unexpected results. If you use script in the shell initialization file, you have to avoid entering an infinite loop. You can use for example the .profile file, which is read by login shells only: if test -t 0 ; then script exit fi You should also avoid use of script in command pipes, as script can read more input than you would expect. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), scriptreplay(1) HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. script is primarily designed for interactive terminal sessions. When stdin is not a terminal (for example: echo foo | script), then the session can hang, because the interactive shell within the script session misses EOF and script has no clue when to close the session. See the NOTES section for more information. AVAILABILITY
The script command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux June 2014 SCRIPT(1)