Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX If the AIX need reboot after install fix pack or APAR? Post 302155257 by rhfrommn on Thursday 3rd of January 2008 09:53:51 AM
Old 01-03-2008
I've worked on several AIX upgrade rollouts in the past 18 months and they always include a reboot at the end as part of our standard procedure. I'm not sure if it is 100% required, you'd have to study the IBM documentation or ask them to be sure. But it is just too risky not to reboot. If you don't do it immediately and there is a problem next time you reboot it will be far harder to troubleshoot. And it may be too late to roll back the upgrade depending on what else has changed since.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Aix - Service Pack

I've recently installed ServicePack1 for Tecnology_Level 9 of AIX 5.2 . The result of installation is "OK" but with oslevel -s i dont see the service pack installed .... after many research i try (with many luck!!) instfix -i|grep SP and the result : All filesets for 5200-08-01_SP... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BabylonRocker
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maintenace Pack 3 Install on UNIXWARE

Hello, I just re-installed the MP3 for UNIXWARE on our system for the second time due to upper management decision and I received this message pasted below. The following packages were installed successfully: UnixWare 7.1.4 Maintenance Pack 3 <uw714mp3> Updated Base System Guides... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yorgy
0 Replies

3. AIX

install apar on aix53

Hi All, I was installing apar CVE-2008-0122 on my freshly test aix53. I followed the ibm site and run this 'installp -a -d libc_ifix -X all' and got this +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Pre-installation... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies

4. AIX

IY17981 fix required for aix 4.3.3 to aix 5L migration but not found

Hi, redbook documentation is telling that IY17981 fix is required for aix 4.3.3 to aix 5L migration. But there is no mention about that fix in any ML installation packages. - My system is ML11 : oslevel –r 4330-11 - But xlC.rte is on wrong version : lslpp -L xlC.rte xlC.rte ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: astjen
3 Replies

5. AIX

Latest AIX Service Pack

Hello, I am trying to install Oracle 11g on my AIX server and it requires at a minimum OS level 5300-05-06. I am currently at 5300-05-01. What do I need to upgrade this? Where can I get this sp? What are the step to install this? I am a DBA not sysadmin. We no longer have a sysadmin. Lucky... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dkranes
4 Replies

6. AIX

Remove APAR number from aix 5.3

Hi... Can i remove one APAR number from aix5.3.. If it is possible how to do.. Thanks.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumathi.k
3 Replies

7. AIX

How to install AIX Fix Pack 5300-06-06-0811

Hi All, I have this fix for AIX (5300-06-06-0811) and i need to install it. How can i do this? What are the prerequisites for this fix? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lucaxvu
1 Replies

8. AIX

APAR fix on AIX 53tl9

We have tried to install an APAR fix IZ20298 on a AIX test server. It is requiring a base level of bos.adt.prof of 5.3.0.0 I cannot find this file anywhere. I fould 5.3.0.1 and it still will not install without the base install. Any ideas where I can find bos.adt.prof 5.3.0.0? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daveisme
1 Replies

9. AIX

AIX Fix Pack update

Hi All, i'm try to update my aix 6100.06.05 to 6100.07.00. i download the 4,5 GB of FixPack buy i don't have a required package (devices.chrp.pci.rte 6.1.7.0) This package does not exist on the fix pack (i've check in the .toc file and in the .bff files) On ibm website i see that this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zio Bill
0 Replies
reboot(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 						reboot(3C)

NAME
reboot - reboot system or halt processor SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/reboot.h> int reboot(int howto, char *bootargs); DESCRIPTION
The reboot() function reboots the system. The howto argument specifies the behavior of the system while rebooting and is a mask con- structed by a bitwise-inclusive-OR of flags from the following list: RB_AUTOBOOT The machine is rebooted from the root filesystem on the default boot device. This is the default behavior. See boot(1M) and kernel(1M). RB_HALT The processor is simply halted; no reboot takes place. This option should be used with caution. RB_ASKNAME Interpreted by the bootstrap program and kernel, causing the user to be asked for pathnames during the bootstrap. RB_DUMP The system is forced to panic immediately without any further processing and a crash dump is written to the dump device (see dumpadm(1M)) before rebooting. Any other howto argument causes the kernel file to boot. The interpretation of the bootargs argument is platform-dependent. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, reboot() never returns. Otherwise, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The reboot() function will fail if: EPERM The {PRIV_SYS_CONFIG} privilege is not asserted in the effective set of the calling process. SEE ALSO
Intro(1M), boot(1M), dumpadm(1M), halt(1M), init(1M), kernel(1M), reboot(1M), uadmin(2) SunOS 5.11 22 Mar 2004 reboot(3C)