Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to copy owner permissions to group Post 302154673 by ynixon on Tuesday 1st of January 2008 03:30:09 AM
Old 01-01-2008
How to copy owner permissions to group

Hi,
I need a command or a script to change the group permissions to be the same as the owner permissions for all my files and directories (recursive)
any idea ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

owner and group in Linux

I am bit unclear of how Linux was set in the real world, please advise me how it's supposed to be. When I log in as root and do a ls -l, I find: /boot, /, /var, /usr, /tmp, /home, /u01, /u02, /u03 and of of this partition is owned by root and the group also belong to root. Is that the way it's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lapnguyen
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

permission, owner and group

hello I search a script (ksh for Aix 5.3) to save all permissions, groups and owner for all files. Because we work much to change it, and a mystake ......! So i want execute this script to save/ execute permissions for all files. If you have this script, thank you for your help ;) best... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i copy user permissions(privileges) to a group

Hey there I have a problem and i was hoping that you guys could help me out I want to copy a user privileges to a group and i need to copy all privileges(Recursively) every directory with all its sub directories and I tried some solution and it did not work. I used the following command:- ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Dark Knight
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

automatically change owner and group

We have a program that when a new account is created using the webpage it creates a new directory on the linux filesystem for the account. The problem is the process that creates the directory is as root user, as I want ftpuser to be able to login I have to manually login and chown -R the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using find to search for any owner having execute permissions.

Hi I need help. I need to use find (or grep I don't care) to recursively search for files who have any kind of executable permissions (group and/or owner and/or other). I am looking for *.c and *.h This what I am using now: find . -name *.h -perm -111 -print but I don't want to retype that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dissectcode
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting group and owner with mkdir?

Hi, As root, I want to create a directory and set the group and ownership permissions at the same time with one command, instead of making the directory, then going back and doing a chown and chgrp. I don't see an option for this in the mkdir man page. Would I pipe chown and chgrp with my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moose123
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding the Group Owner Name

Hi all, How can i find the group owner name...??? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mansahr143
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing permissions from all users including owner

Hello all: I will include a "requirement" for an issue I am attempting to solve for my boss. Basically, he would like to know if there is a way to prevent users and owner from editing 'write' script in Vi. - While working in Unix Vi, users would be able to keep all the previous versions... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: bruski4
15 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

To identify the group owner

If I have to identify the group owner of an AIX group, what is the command to be used. Example: there is an mqadm group, how do I find the owner of this group? Please help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
6 Replies

10. AIX

Files without owner and group

Dears it is normal that the below binaries stay without any owner and group I have checked it in many servers and the like the below /usr/lpp/bos.net/inst_root/etc/ipsec# ls -lrt total 248 -r-xr-xr-x 1 987 987 13589 Jun 29 2005 default_group -r-xr-xr-x ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thecobra151
5 Replies
logindevperm(4)                                                    File Formats                                                    logindevperm(4)

NAME
logindevperm, fbtab - login-based device permissions SYNOPSIS
/etc/logindevperm DESCRIPTION
The /etc/logindevperm file contains information that is used by login(1) and ttymon(1M) to change the owner, group, and permissions of devices upon logging into or out of a console device. By default, this file contains lines for the keyboard, mouse, audio, and frame buffer devices. The owner of the devices listed in /etc/logindevperm is set to the owner of the console by login(1). The group of the devices is set to the owner's group specified in /etc/passwd. The permissions are set as specified in /etc/logindevperm. Fields are separated by TAB and/or SPACE characters. Blank lines and comments can appear anywhere in the file; comments start with a hash- mark, ` # ', and continue to the end of the line. The first field specifies the name of a console device (for example, /dev/console). The second field specifies the permissions to which the devices in the device_list field (third field) will be set. These permissions must be expressed in octal format. For example, O774. A device_list is a colon-separated list of device names. Note that a device name must be a /dev link. A device entry that is a directory name and ends with "/*" specifies all entries in the directory (except "." and ".."). For example, "/dev/fbs/*" specifies all frame buffer devices. Once the devices are owned by the user, their permissions and ownership can be changed using chmod(1) and chown(1), as with any other user- owned file. Upon logout the owner and group of these devices will be reset by ttymon(1M) to owner root and root's group as specified in /etc/passwd (typically other). The permissions are set as specified in the /etc/logindevperm file. FILES
/etc/passwd File that contains user group information. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), chown(1), login(1), ttymon(1M), passwd(4) NOTES
/etc/logindevperm provides a superset of the functionality provided by /etc/fbtab in SunOS 4.x releases. SunOS 5.10 22 Oct 2003 logindevperm(4)