Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting problem escaping newline in ksh Post 302154436 by fpmurphy on Sunday 30th of December 2007 09:40:15 AM
Old 12-30-2007
To get "\n" printed you need to add another \

Code:
print "\\\n"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newline character not working for ksh

Newline character "\n" not working for ksh in linux AS 3.0 Command : $echo "Hi\nHi" $Hi\nHi $ Expected output : $echo "Hi\nHi" Hi Hi $ Can some help me on this Thanks in advance Sanish. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanikv
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping the * character in ksh.

Hi All, In ksh script i'm trying to assign "sqlstmt1" varaible value, update VAREntryTb set VAR10num = VAR1num * Mltplr where BusD = '$val1' and RunI = 1"` Hence i wrote below statement, the issue with this is shell is expanding "*" character adn thus subistuting it with the content of my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindcgi
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed ksh remove newline between 2 containers

If we assume that each line between the {} container is an XML document then What I want to remove the newline character from all lines within each container to have one XMDL document per line I wrote a bit of sed after trawling the web: e.g. #!/bin/sed -nf H /}/ { x s/\n//g p... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesJSC
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem using egrep: spaces and newline

Hello: I am working in bash and am a newbie. I want to eliminate spaces from strings. Since this is a basic operation, I searched online and implemented the suggestions; however, I am facing a problem here. I have an input file which looks like this: abc defghi jklmno pqrs tuvw xyzabcd... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: andyu11
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newline charachter in Ksh-Linux

Hello, I'm trying to create a muliti value shell variable with newlines inside it, So that I can read the values of that variable individually line by line, but KSH seems to be stripping my variable of newlines in LINUX, but UNIX its working fine. Here's Example : String =... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sanju1236
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ksh93 newline character problem

Hi , I am working on Linux, with ksh93 installed. The following statement echo \\n just prints \n on this shell. However on pdksh echo \\n gives a blank new line as a output. What is the correct way of printing a new line character on the ksh93? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: neeto
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed newline to tab ,problem

Input: gstreamer-plugins-good gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-ugly sed 's/\n/\t/g' infile It's not working. Output should be: gstreamer-plugins-good gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-ugly (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete line with match and previous line quoting/escaping problem

Hi folks, I've list of LDAP records in this format: cat cmmac.export.tmp2 dn: deviceId=0a92746a54tbmd34b05758900131136a506,ou=devices,ou=customer,ou=nl,o=upc cmmac: 00:13:11:36:a5:06 dn: deviceId=0a92746a62pbms4662299650015961cfa23,ou=devices,ou=customer,ou=nl,o=upc cmmac:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomas.polak
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping problem in a shell script

Hi, i made a gnuplot script which accepts a filename as parameter (using gnuplot -e) now i want to run this script from a shell script, the correct command (with a concrete parameter) looks like this: gnuplot -e 'name="filename.dat;col=2"' gplscript.gpl my shell script looks like this: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: franko007
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Escaping a variable in ksh

I am trying to echo a variable exactly to a script- echo "${var1} ${var2} >> output.output Gives me a blank file. I would like output.output to basically say: ${var1} ${var2} I think I need to use a special escape character for variables. Am I right in assuming that, and is it the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
8 Replies
suspend(1)							   User Commands							suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)