Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris script for Gzip thousands of file Post 302154205 by frank_rizzo on Friday 28th of December 2007 11:54:15 AM
Old 12-28-2007
Try this

Code:
ls prefix* | while read f
do
   if ! gzip -t ${f} 2>/dev/null
   then
      gzip ${f} 
      # you might want to rename ${f}.gz to ${f} here
   fi
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

gzip in shell script called by cron

I'm puzzled by this one. I hope you can explain it to me. I have a ksh shell script that gzips a file among other things. This works perfectly fine when the script is manually run through a shell. However, when the same script is run through cron, it does everything correctly, but it will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hbau419
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I send a file as an attachment (gzip file) on a Unix system

Hi, How do I send a file as an attachment (gzip file) on a Unix system ? Using sendmail. Please help me. :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lacca
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to truncate thousands of file names

Folder of e-mails in maildir format had been corrupted. Typical file name is 1246281161.6777.m21JH:2,S . The " :2,S prevents " copying to another device. How can I simply remove the last four characters? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: steve900
2 Replies

4. Solaris

gzip a file and append creation date stamp to file

I want to gzip a file and append the creation date to the end of the file. How can I accomplish this task. Basically they are log files which need a creation date stamp appended to make sure they do not overwrite other log files. -jack (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacktravine
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script with dates to gzip and remove

Good morning all! I am new to programming and trying to learn; please be patient. I am wanting to write a script that takes the current date and gzip 5 days or older, then remove 10 days or older. This is the directory I want to work in; this is what it looks like ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

gzip and encrypted in a shl script

After I move the file to a directory, I need to gzip and encrypted. I never do this in a shl script, I do it from the command line and it works.. cd /home/nelnet spinel:/home/nelnet$ gpg -e 2010_11_07_05_11_xxxxxx_bills.dat.gz `/home/nelnet/.gnupg/gpg.conf' `/home/nelnet/.gnupg/gpg.conf'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rechever
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

gzip vs pipe gzip: produce different file size

Hi All, I have a random test file: test.txt, size: 146 $ ll test.txt $ 146 test.txt Take 1: $ cat test.txt | gzip > test.txt.gz $ ll test.txt.gz $ 124 test.txt.gz Take 2: $ gzip test.txt $ ll test.txt.gz $ 133 test.txt.gz As you can see, gzipping a file and piping into gzip... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hanfresco
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with a script to gzip/move files

Hi Please can you help me in writing a script to find files on a specific directory, and of extension "tap" but only of the month of september, gzip and move them to another directory. Your help will be appreciated. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help/How-to - simple UNIX script / gzip (beginner)

Hey all, I would like to ask your help and sorry in advance for my ignorance since I am a complete beginner in this. I need to create a UNIX script that will: - scan a small number of folders and subfolders (see a similar file tree in the attachment) - - for each final folder (each of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: McNulty
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script not able to zip the file using gzip

Hi all, I am calling Temp.sh and it is has simple line $gpath=`which gzip` $gpath $FilePath/My_temp.log if I run this script, logging to server then its works fine. But when I send this script over the SSH it does not work at it. gzip is command is not execute. I am using gzip 1.6... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: girijajoshi
2 Replies
GZFORCE(1)						      General Commands Manual							GZFORCE(1)

NAME
gzforce - force a '.gz' extension on all gzip files SYNOPSIS
gzforce [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
gzforce forces a .gz extension on all gzip files so that gzip will not compress them twice. This can be useful for files with names trun- cated after a file transfer. On systems with a 14 char limitation on file names, the original name is truncated to make room for the .gz suffix. For example, 12345678901234 is renamed to 12345678901.gz. A file name such as foo.tgz is left intact. SEE ALSO
gzip(1), gznew(1), gzmore(1), gzgrep(1), gzdiff(1), gzexe(1) ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgzip | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | External | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gzip is available in the SUNWgzipS package. GZFORCE(1)