Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Openbsd as gateway Problem
Special Forums IP Networking Openbsd as gateway Problem Post 302152979 by porter on Saturday 22nd of December 2007 11:50:30 PM
Old 12-23-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_APIIT
Does my rl0 will crash with rl1 ?
My understanding is your router is on the same subnet as rl0, what is the address of your router, this should be the same as your default gateway or "mygate".

Then you rl0 subnet address range must include this gateway address.

So let's just sort out rl0, make sure you can ping the router and the router replies. The next step is confirm you can ping an address beyond the router.

You may want to set up /etc/resolv.conf so that either

(a) you use a name server beyond the router

(b) you use the router as the nameserver itself as long as it does DNS proxy.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

please help with openbsd 2.9

Please help. I have downloaded the openbsd 2.9 snapshot from ftp.openbsd.org. the following files were downloaded from the snapshot dir. ( the whole dir. was downloaded ) base29,bsd,bsd.rd,cdrom29.fs,cksum,comp29,etc29,all three floppy images,game29,index,install.ata,install.chs... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Blunt_Killer
11 Replies

2. BSD

OpenBSD : mount problem

hi I have two hhd's. One is primary disk which holds the OpenBSD system and the other is my download disk (disk2). I formatted disk2 in "ffs" type. And created a "disklabel", wd1a. The disklabel program says "No change made", but I can see the changes by "p" command. I cannot mount my disk2!... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fnoyan
1 Replies

3. BSD

[OpenBSD] DNS startup problem

I have the DNS files set up on my OpenBSD 4.0 amd64 system however when I run named, I get the following error in my logs: Sep 23 10:43:03 grunty named: starting BIND 9.3.2-P1 Sep 23 10:43:03 grunty named: /etc/named.conf:25: change directory to '/var/named' failed: file not found Sep 23... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BOFH
2 Replies

4. BSD

Trying to get into OpenBSD

I am an eight year Linux user and after getting into an argument with someone about OpenBSD overiding my theory that OS security is 50% OS and 50% admin skill, I decided to try OpenBSD for myself. I've tried BSDs before and haven't been able to get into them for day to dy use, but I am going to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
7 Replies

5. BSD

openbsd-pf

hello , I wondered if anyone could assist me in writing a simple packet filter firewall on my OpenBSD v4.5. All I intend doing is to have two firewalling machine on a separate network : 192.168.1.1 ext_if = xl0 (dhcp) // Internet interface int_if=xl1 // Internatl interface ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattjam
0 Replies

6. BSD

Xwindows Problem OPenBSD 4.6

Hi, I have OPENBSD 4.6 installed as a VM in Virtual Box on my Ubuntu 9.10 machine. Problem is that the XWindows will not start when I boot my OPENBSD VM. I am new to OPENBSD. How do I fix this problem? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
5 Replies

7. Linux

GNUGK-How to setup static gateway to gateway routing

Dear Sir I am a newbie in the world of IP telephony. I have been working with Asterisk PBX (SIP) and Cisco Call Manager (MGCP) but now I am learning on how to work GNUGK for H.323 Gatekeeper. I am having a problem, configuring static call routing on GNUGK in the section ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mfondoum
0 Replies

8. IP Networking

Small Problem about Default Gateway

I have Ubuntu linux Os with two eth cards. I can easily delete def gatewayg. But I can't add new one.. :confused::confused: When I run route-n: alperen@alperen-System-Product-Name:~$ route -n Kernel IP routing table Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mhnds
1 Replies

9. IP Networking

Routing problem : two interfaces one gateway

hi folks, i have a horstbox-router with the following configuration. it has 4 ethernet ports from wich one (wan0) is configured as an external modem via dhcp. at this port/interface(wan0) it is connected with my home network (other switch). this configuration results in the following... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: gencaslan
14 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Inconsistency between RedHat 6.5 global gateway and single gateway leads to loss of default gateway

Dear friends I use RedHat 6.5, which sets the gateway in the configuration file / etc / sysconfig / network as GATEWAY = 192.168.1.26, and the gateway in the configuration file / etc / sysconfig / network-scripts / ifcfg-eth11 as GATEWAY = 192.168.1.256. The two gateways are different.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tanpeng
6 Replies
IRDPD(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  IRDPD(8)

NAME
irdpd - internet router discovery protocol daemon SYNOPSIS
irdpd [-bsd] [-U udp-device] [-I ip-device] [-o priority-offset] DESCRIPTION
Irdpd looks for routers. This should be a simple task, but many routers are hard to find because they do not implement the router discov- ery protocol. This daemon collects information that routers do send out and makes it available. At startup irdpd sends out several router solicitation broadcasts. A good router should respond to this with a router advertisement. If a router advertisement arrives then no more solicitations are sent. The TCP/IP server has filled its routing table with the info from the advertisement, so it now has at least one router. If the advertisement is sent by a genuine router (the sender is in the table) then the irdpd daemon goes dormant for the time the advert is valid. Routers send new adverts periodically, keeping the daemon silent. Otherwise irdpd will listen for RIP (Router Information Protocol) packets. These packets are sent between routers to exchange routing information. Irdpd uses this information to build a routing table. Every now and then a router advertisement is sent to the local host to give it router information build from the RIP packets. Lastly, if a router solicitation arrives and there is no router around that sends advertisements, then irdpd sends an advertisement to the requestor. Note that this is a direct violation of RFC1256, as no host is supposed to sent those adverts. But alas the world is not always perfect, and those adverts make booting hosts find routers quickly with this help from their brothers. (Of course, they will lose the router soon if they don't have an irdpd daemon themselves.) OPTIONS
-b Broadcast advertisements instead of sending them to the local host only. This may be used to keep (non-Minix) hosts alive on a net without adverts. -s Be silent, do not send advertisements to hosts that ask for them. -d Debug mode, tell where info is coming from and where it is sent. Debugging can also be turned on at runtime by sending signal SIGUSR1 or turned off with SIGUSR2. -o priority-offset Offset used to make the gateway's preferences collected from RIP packets look worse than those found in genuine router adverts. By default -1024. SEE ALSO
set_net_default(8), boot(8), inetd(8), nonamed(8), rarpd(8). BUGS
Under standard Minix this daemon can't listen to two both IRDP and RIP at the same time, so it starts out with IRDP. It switches over to RIP if it can't find a router, or if it threatens to lose its router. It does not switch back. Irdpd may help a host that should not be helped, i.e. if it doesn't have an irdpd daemon with RIP collecting trickery. It will make System Administrators pull out their remaining hair trying to find out why a host can access outside networks for a some time after boot, but goes blind afterwards. AUTHOR
Kees J. Bot (kjb@cs.vu.nl) IRDPD(8)