Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming interrupt a blocking lock(F_SETLKW) Post 302152743 by porter on Friday 21st of December 2007 03:32:43 AM
Old 12-21-2007
alarm/SIGALRM sounds like the right thing here.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to lock keyboard without using lock command

how can I lock my keyboard while I'm away from the computer without using lock command. What other commands gives me the option to lock keyboard device? thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dianayun
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Trapping Interrupt From 'ulimit'

I want to know the interrupt passed to a process through 'ulimit' I am running a process which gets killed when the 'ulimit -t' reaches. But after killing the process I want to start another process which would send a message or do some clean up or anything at all. To do the same I am... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrnuttynuts
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

timer interrupt

hello all since a process running in kernel mode cannnot be preempted by any other process what would be the status of Timer interrupt that occurs when the time quantum of a process is elapsed? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: compbug
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending an interrupt in a script?

Is it possible to sent a ^C interrupt via the command line? For example if I want to tail a log for 10 minutes at a time, kill the tail and then start it again is there a way to go about that? I would imagine there would be some way to do it by finding and killing the PID, but I'm curious if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

hunting down for software interrupt causes

Hi, i have an rhel box with around 20 %soft every 2 seconds. The box is idle. How do i start hunting down what's causing this? i believe /proc/interrupts is hardware related, procinfo is basically the same. where else can i look? thanks, Marc (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcpascual
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

Security Question: Lock after invalid login, Session Lock and Required Minimum Password Length

Hello all, If anyone has time, I have a few questions: How do I do the following in Linux. We are using Red Hat and Oracle Enterprise Linux, which is based on Red Hat too. 1. How to lock the account after a few (like 3) invalid password attempts? 2. How do you lock a screen after 30... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nstarz
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Interrupt storm detected on "irq 20" throttling interrupt source

I receive the following warning messages on a very new machine which has FreeBSD 8.1 x64 installed on it: Interrupt storm detected on "irq 20" throttling interrupt source It is unclear what this means and what its origins are (motherboard? CPU? RAM?). I can start the desktop and the message is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Testing privileges -lock lockfile /var/lock/subsys/..- Permission denied

Hi all, I have to test some user priviliges. The goal is to be sure that an unauthorized user can't restart some modules (ssh, mysql etc...). I'm trying to automate it with a shell script but in same cases I got the syslog broadcast message. Is there any way to simply get a return code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Is there any shell command to show which interrupt handler handle which interrupt number?

Hi, all: Is there any shell command to show which interrupt handler handle which interrupt number in the system? li,kunlun (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: liklstar
5 Replies

10. Programming

Which are blocking and non-blocking api's in sockets in C ?

among the below socket programming api's, please let me know which are blocking and non-blocking. socket accept bind listen write read close (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: VSSajjan
2 Replies
ALARM(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						  ALARM(3)

NAME
alarm -- set signal timer alarm LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> unsigned int alarm(unsigned int seconds); DESCRIPTION
This interface is made obsolete by setitimer(2). The alarm() function sets a timer to deliver the signal SIGALRM to the calling process after the specified number of seconds. If an alarm has already been set with alarm() but has not been delivered, another call to alarm() will supersede the prior call. The request alarm(0) voids the current alarm and the signal SIGALRM will not be delivered. Due to setitimer(2) restriction the maximum number of seconds allowed is 100000000. RETURN VALUES
The return value of alarm() is the amount of time left on the timer from a previous call to alarm(). If no alarm is currently set, the return value is 0. SEE ALSO
setitimer(2), sigaction(2), sigsuspend(2), signal(3), sleep(3), ualarm(3), usleep(3) HISTORY
An alarm() function appeared in Version 7 AT&T UNIX. BSD
April 19, 1994 BSD