Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting comparing PID values of 2 Files in shell Options Post 302152280 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 19th of December 2007 10:54:34 AM
Old 12-19-2007
This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. PID's change as processes create new children, end, etc.

try awk:
Code:
awk ' 
       if FILENAME=="regfile" {i++; arr[i]=$1}
       if FILENAME=="pidfile" { if (arr[$NR] > $1 { print $1, " is greater than ", arr[$NR]}
                                     if (arr[$NR] > $1 { print $1, " is less than ", arr[$NR]}
                                     if (arr[$NR] = $1 { print $1, " is  equal to ", arr[$NR]}

} ' regfile pidfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing CRON PID w/Current PPID

All, I've got a script that needs to check if it was started by cron. The code seems to be right, but it's not running correctly if cron starts it. Am I getting the pid's correctly? I'm not having any luck figuring it out. :confused: Any help is appreciated! CRON_ID=$(ps -aef | grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GregWold
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell script for comparing 2 files

Hi, how to read the 2 files and compare each other in shell script? i have 2 files test1 and test2, both files contains 20 character records.we have to compare file 1 records with file2, if exists then reject the record else we have to append it to test2 file. in file test1 around 100 single... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashanth.spl
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing 2 text files to get unique values??

Hi all, I have got a problem while comparing 2 text files and the result should contains the unique values(Non repeatable). For eg: file1.txt 1 2 3 4 file2.txt 2 3 So after comaping the above 2 files I should get only 1 and 4 as the output. Pls help me out. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing two files and dividing the values

Hi all, I am new to unix and I am trying hard to get this requirement, but no luck. I am trying to compare two cloumns in two files and if it matches, the last column in file1 must be divided by file2 and the output must be written in a new file. To elaborate the 2nd column in file1 (EUR) must be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: smadderla
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing two text files by a column and printing values that do not match

I have two text files where the first three columns are exactly the same. I want to compare the fourth column of the text files and if the values are different, print that row into a new output file. How do I go about doing that? File 1: 100 rs3794811 0.01 0.3434 100 rs8066551 0.01... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script for comparing two files

Hi, I have 2 files as below FILE1.dat co1|co2|co3 abnd|45.56|AZ dkny|30.2|PA sam|.23|VA FILE.CTL FILENAME|FILE1.dat NO OF RECORDS|3 CHECKSUM|75.99 Could you please help me to write a shell script to compare 1. TOTAL RECORDS from FILE1.dat with NO of RECORDS in FILE.CTL 2.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreamsportsteam
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing two test files and printing out the values that do not match

Hi, I have two text files with matching first columns. Some of the values in the second column do not match. I want to write a script to print out the rows (only the first column) where the values in the second column do not match. Example: Input 1 A 1 B 2 C 3 D 4 Input 2 A 2 B 2... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query the table and return values to shell script and search result values from another files.

Hi, I need a shell script, which would search the result values from another files. 1)execute " select column1 from table_name" query on the table. 2)Based on the result, need to be grep from .wft files. could please explain about this.Below is the way i am using. #!/bin/sh... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rami Reddy
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing the values of two files

Hi Am trying to compare the values of two files.. One is a big file that has many values and the other is a small file.. The big file has all values present in small file.. # cat SmallFile 4456602 22347881 7471282 15859891 8257690 21954701 7078068 18219229 2883826 6094959 100000 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing same column from two files, printing whole row with matching values

First I'd like to apologize if I opened a thread which is already open somewhere. I did a bit of searching but could quite find what I was looking for, so I will try to explaing what I need. I'm writing a script on our server, got to a point where I have two files with results. Example: File1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mitabrev83
6 Replies
trace(1)						      General Commands Manual							  trace(1)

Name
       trace - trace system calls of programs

Syntax
       trace [options] cmd args...

Description
       The  command  with  no flag arguments traces for the given cmd and args all system calls made and prints a time stamp, the PID, call and/or
       return values and arguments and puts its output in the file trace.dump.

Options
       -f filename
	       Puts dump in file filename.

-z      Echos arguments only.

Only one of the following option arguments can be specified at one time.

-c#     Traces given PIDs and their children.  Up to sixteen PIDs can be specified.

-g#     Traces given groups only.  Up to sixteen Group IDs can be specified.

-p#     Traces given PIDs only.	Up to sixteen PIDs can be specified.

-s#     Traces given system calls only.	Up to sixteen PIDs can be specified.

-u#     Traces given UIDs only.	Up to sixteen PIDs can be specified.

Examples
       trace -f ls.dump ls -l /dev >ls.out
       runs the cmd ls -l /dev and puts the trace in ls.dump and output in ls.out.
       trace -f csh.trace -p $$ &
       will trace your login shell in the background. To stop the trace just send it a termination signal (that is, kill -TERM trace_pid).

Restrictions
       Due to security, no one, not even the super-user can trace anyone else's programs. This sort of negates some of the usefulness  of  the	-g
       and -u flags.

The program cannot be traced.

Only 16 numbers can be given to the -c, -p, -g, -u, and -s flags.

The kernel configuration file must contain the following:
       options	       SYS_TRACE
       pseudo-device   sys_trace

In addition, the superuser must use the following command sequence to create the device:
       cd /dev
       MAKEDEV trace
       If both lines are not in the configuration file or if the device is not made, the message "Cannot open /dev/trace" appears.

Files
       /dev/trace     read only character special device for reading syscall data.

trace.dump     default file for the system call trace data.

See Also
       open(2), close(2), ioctl(2), select(2), read(2), trace(5)

trace(1)