Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extracting a substring starting from last occurance of a string/character Post 302152192 by nr_shan on Wednesday 19th of December 2007 01:55:10 AM
Old 12-19-2007
Ram,

You can use "basename" keyword in Unix.

for eg:

if you have a file (test1) with the content like below:

/aaa/bbb/ccc/ddd/xyz.txt
/bbb/ccc/ddd/123.txt

then your command must be like this:

for i in `cat test1`
do
File_Name=`basename $i`
echo $File_Name
done

Output:
xyz.txt
123.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed, grep, awk, regex -- extracting a matched substring from a file/string

Ok, I'm stumped and can't seem to find relevant info. (I'm not even sure, I might have asked something similar before.): I'm trying to use shell scripting/UNIX commands to extract URLs from a fairly large web page, with a view to ultimately wrapping this in PHP with exec() and including the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ropers
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script for extracting out the shortest substring from the given starting and en

hi all, i need an urgent help for writing a shell script which will extract out and print a substring which is the shortest substring from the given string where first and last character of that substring will be given by the user. for e.g. if str="abcdpqracdpqaserd" now if the user gives 'a'... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajd
18 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED: Extracting text between first occurance of foo in front of bar

Suppose I have a text file that contains the tags <foo> and <bar>. The text file can have unlimted occurances of <foo> and <bar> and looks somthing like this: <foo> Some Text <foo> Some Text <bar> Some Text <foo> Some (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ArterialTool
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting the last character of a string

How to extract the last character of a string in bash? ---------- Post updated at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:55 PM ---------- Suppose "abcde" is a string. i want to extract the last character i.e. "e". (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting substring from string

Hi awk and sed gurus, Please help me in the following. I have the following entries in the file ABCDErules AbHDPrules ABCrules -- -- and other entries in the file. Now, I want to extract from the file that contain entries for *rules and process it separately. How can i do it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdosanjh
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a substring from a string in unix

Hi, I would like to extract a substring from a string in unix. eg: ./checkfile.sh -- i need only checkfile.sh from this string. Could someone help me out in this... Regards Arun (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumarmc
19 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

In Sed how can I replace starting from the 7th character to the 15th character.

Hi All, Was wondering how I can do the following.... I have a String as follows "ACCTRL000005022RRWDKKEEDKDD...." This string can be in a file called tail.out or in a Variable called $VAR2 Now I have another variable called $VAR1="000004785" (9 bytes long), I need the content of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohullah
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting substring

Hi, I have string in variable like '/u/dolfin/in/DOLFIN.PRL_100.OIB.TLU.001.D20110520.T040010' and i want to conevrt this string into only "DOLFIN.PRL_100.OIB.TLU.001.D20110520.T040010" (i.e file name). Is there any command to extracting string in some part ?(rather than whole path)? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shyamu544
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on extracting a substring from the input string

Hi, I am new to Unix. I am trying to extract a substring from an input string: Ex - input string: deploy_v11_9_1 i want to extract and store the value v11_9_1 from the input string in a new variable. I am using following command in my shell script file: echo "Enter the folder name u... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pranav Bhasker
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting substring within string between 2 token within the string

Hello. First best wishes for everybody. here is the input file ("$INPUT1") contents : BASH_FUNC_message_begin_script%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_debug%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_end_script%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_error%%=() { local... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies
DisplayOfCCC(3X11)						  XLIB FUNCTIONS						DisplayOfCCC(3X11)

NAME
DisplayOfCCC, VisualOfCCC, ScreenNumberOfCCC, ScreenWhitePointOfCCC, ClientWhitePointOfCCC - Color Conversion Context macros SYNTAX
DisplayOfCCC(ccc) XcmsCCC ccc; VisualOfCCC(ccc) XcmsCCC ccc; ScreenNumberOfCCC(ccc) XcmsCCC ccc; ScreenWhitePointOfCCC(ccc) XcmsCCC ccc; ClientWhitePointOfCCC(ccc) XcmsCCC ccc; ARGUMENTS
ccc Specifies the CCC. DESCRIPTION
The DisplayOfCCC macro returns the display associated with the specified CCC. The VisualOfCCC macro returns the visual associated with the specified CCC. The ScreenNumberOfCCC macro returns the number of the screen associated with the specified CCC. The ScreenWhitePointOfCCC macro returns the screen white point of the screen associated with the specified CCC. The ClientWhitePointOfCC macro returns the client white point of the screen associated with the specified CCC. SEE ALSO
XcmsCCCOfColormap(3X11), XcmsConvertColors(3X11), XcmsCreateCCC(3X11), XcmsDefaultCCC(3X11), XcmsSetWhitePoint(3X11) Xlib - C Language X Interface X Version 11 Release 6.6 DisplayOfCCC(3X11)