Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: how to put a # in a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to put a # in a file Post 302152159 by nr_shan on Tuesday 18th of December 2007 11:36:51 PM
Old 12-19-2007
Try this command

sed -e 's/pop3/#pop3/g' -e 's/named/#named/g' -e 's/smtpd/#smtpd/g' /etc/inetd

P.S: The above command will replace all pop3 content with "#pop3" similarly for other pattern as well.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Take a file from the system and put on tape and reset the file to 0 bytes

:mad: I did this the other day but one of my support personnel removed my history so i could call it back up to remeber the exact command since i am air-headed at times. I am trying to take a 30 MEG file off the system and drop it to tape then i want to make the file go back to being 0 bytes so... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JackieRyan26
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Put strings around the file name

I have a file(old file) with names in it like Jolly Mirani Han Lee stuart Lloyd I want string to be added to these names . New file should look like 'jolly mirani' 'han lee' 'stuart lloyd' I tried using sed command but doesn't work for string but it do work for paranthesis. Can some one... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jolly
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

TOP out put to a file

How to copy a top output to some file...! i am getting a blank data only top << file1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bullz26
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Put two lines into one from file

Hello, I have a script that generates the following file named /tmp/rfkill: rf55 pts/13 Jul 10 06:38 (10.72.11.44) 15782 pts/13 5:07 b rf56 pts/15 Jul 10 06:53 (10.72.11.9) 18552 pts/15 0:28 b rf55 pts/39 Jul 10 09:12 (10.72.11.44) 19354 pts/39... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I want some selected data from first file and put into other file in specified format

I have a file with follwing content ---------------------------------- SCHEDULE XXXXXXXXX#JOBCOUNT ON EVERYDAY AT 0000 PRIORITY 50 SCHEDULE XXXXXXXXX#ABCDEFGH ON EVERYDAY AT 0001 PRIORITY 29 SCHEDULE... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shreyas
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get a column from one file and put it in another

I have 2 files that I would need from one file the 3rd column and put into the second file. Preferably in KSH . For example file one has file1: Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 file2: Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 So take Column 3 and put into file1 making it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bombcan1
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

split input data file and put into same output file

Hi All, I have two input file and need to generate a CSV file. The existing report just "GREP" the records with the Header and Tailer records with the count of records. Now i need to split the data into 25 records each in the same CSV file. id_file (Input file ) 227050994 232510151... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rasmith
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

put script into file

hi, ok having here some code like: #!/bin/bash echo " hello " # say hello to the user echo " $HOME " echo " $HOSTNAME " echo " $(uname) " echo " today is $(date) " echo " $(whoami) is currently logged in " now my question is how to change the code so that the info is not... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: me.
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get Data From CSV File and put into a txt file

Hi Guys, File A I have File A as CSV Format.... No R SS MK Par value S AL A1 PKL123 Lo12 1 S AL A2 PKl123 Lo34 22 S AL A3 PkLK234 Lo67 -34 S AL A4 PkLK235 Lo09 120 S AL A5 PkLK236 Lo76 19 S AL A6 PkLK237 Lo44 -17 S AL A7 PkLK238 Lo90 2 S AL A8 PkLK239 Lo34 -9 I want file B like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract data from a log file and put it in a file

Hi, I would like to seek your help for a script that will extract data from log file and put it in a file. Sample log file 2018-10-23 12:33:21 AI ERROR -- tpid: SAMPLE_TH account: 123456789 aiSessionNumber: 660640464 mapName: xxx to yyy errorDesc: Translation Error:ErrorNumber : 993 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neverwinter112
2 Replies
XLASSIE(1x)							   User Commands						       XLASSIE(1x)

NAME
xlassie - mailbox counter for X SYNOPSIS
xlassie [options] DESCRIPTION
The xlassie program is a replacement for the standard X mail notification tool, XBiff. It has several useful enhancements over XBiff. * Counts the number of new messages you have * Can query remote mail on a POP3 server or on an IMAP server * Can count local mail with an mbox or a maildir style spool * Uses less memory than XBiff (or any other X mail checker) * Can run a command when clicked on, and/or when new mail arrives * Can toggle an LED indicating availability of mail * Supports both the KDE and the WindowMaker applet protocols * Runs as a standard X application When the count is 0 (no mail) it is displayed in a less obtrusive color. When mail arrives a beep is emitted, and the updated unread mes- sage count is displayed. When xlassie is running, the following interactive commands are available: q Quit gracefully. mouse click Spawn '-command' (if any), otherwise update mail count. xlassie 1.8 OPTIONS
-h, -help Print usage and exit -v, -version Print version and exit -V, -verbose Chatter on about this and that -name <name> Set application class name (default: xlassie) -bg <color> Background color (default: White) -fg <color> Foreground color (default: Black) -hilight [<color>] Use a different foreground color when there is non-zero mail (default: Red) -update <number> Check mail every <number> seconds (default: 5 sec local, 60 sec remote) -bell Ring bell when count increases from zero -led [<number>] Light-up keyboard LED <number> if mail exists (default: 1) -fn <fontname> Font for the new mail count -display <displayname> X server to connect to -geometry <geometry> Window geometry -shape Use a shaped window -spool <filename> File to use for mail spool or maildir directory -mailcommand <command> Command to execute on new mail arrival -clickcommand <command> Command to execute when clicked upon (default: CHECK_MAILBOX) -offset <number> Mail display count offset (for debugging) -pop3 <server> Connect to pop3 server rather than local mail spool -apop3 <server> Like -pop3, but uses a different method. Use when -pop3 doesn't find the correct number -imap <server> Use the IMAP protocol instead of pop3 -imapfolder <folder> Use this folder instead of INBOX -username <name> Username for pop3/imap server, when different from local username -password <password> Password to use on pop3/imap server. Use the password 'ask' to be prompted for the password on stdin. -offline Don't exit when the server is unreachable -wmaker, -kde Do stuff to get swallowed into the WindowMaker or KDE dock. Normally unneeded: WindowMaker and KDE should be autodetected. -nokde, -nowmaker Don't do the stuff to get swallowed ENVIRONMENT
If set MAIL is the mail spool or maildir directory to use, unless otherwise specified on the command line. X RESOURCES
When reading X resources, two class names xlassie and xbiff are recognized (in that order) unless the -name is used. The class name xbiff allows resources common to both xbiff and xlassie to be easily configured, while the class name xlassie allows resources unique to this program. If no resources are specified, suitable defaults will be used. Command-line arguments can be used to override resource settings. The following resources are allowed (e.g, "xlassie.RESOURCE"): name: name Use the specified name as a class name for this application (default: xlassie). background: color Use the specified color as this application's background color. The 'bg' resource is also recognized (default: White). foreground: color Use the specified color as this application's foreground color. The 'fg' resource is also recognized (default: Black). hightlight: color Use the specified color as this application's foreground color when there is non-zero mail. The 'hilight' resource is also recog- nized (default: Red). update: number Use the specified number to note how many seconds should be used to check mail every (default: 5 seconds local, 60 seconds remote). bell: boolean Use the specified boolean value to affect the ringing of the system bell when mail is received (default: False). led: number Use the specified number to light-up the LED specified if mail exists (default: 1). font: fontname Use the specified fontname as the application's font. The 'fn' resource is also recognized. geometry: geometry Use the specified X window geometry. shape: boolean Use the specified boolean value to affect shaped window creation (default: False). spool: filename Use the specified filename as the mail spool or maildir directory. mailcommand: command Use the specified command to execute on new mail arrival. The 'mailcmd' resource is also recognized. If you have a %d in the com- mand, it will get replaced with the number of new messages. Remember to put quotes around the command if it's longer than one word. If you want the command to run the background, put a '&' at the end. clickcommand: command Use the specified command to execute when application is clicked on. The 'clickcmd' resource is also recognized (default: CHECK_MAILBOX). pop3: server Use the specified pop3 server rather than local mail spool. apop3: server Use the specified pop3 server rather than local mail spool but while using a different access method. This option is useful when -pop3 doesn't find the correct number. imap: server Use the specified imap server rather than local mail spool. username: name Use the specified login name for pop3/imap server access when different from local username. password: password Use the specified login password for pop3/imap server access. offline: boolean Use the specified boolean value to affect whether access is continued in the case a remote server is unreachable (default: False). wmaker: boolean Use the specified boolean value to affect the ability to get swallowed into a WindowMaker dock (default: False). kde: boolean Use the specified boolean value to affect the ability to get swallowed into a KDE dock (default: False). nokde: boolean Use the specified boolean value to affect the inability to get swallowed into a KDE dock (default: False). nowmaker: boolean Use the specified boolean value to affect the inability to get swallowed into a WindowMaker dock (default: False). AUTHOR
Original XLassie by Trent Piepho <xyzzy@speakeasy.org>. Modified by - Barak A. Pearlmutter <barak@cs.may.ie> - Nadim Shaikli <nadim@arabeyes.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1998-2001, Trent Piepho. Copyright of modifications held by their respective authors. Licensed under the GNU General Public License v2 (GPL). xlassie 1.8 October 2011 XLASSIE(1x)