Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: return the previous line
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting return the previous line Post 302151940 by user_prady on Tuesday 18th of December 2007 02:13:32 AM
Old 12-18-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perderabo
Excuse me? I just retested them on both of your data files. Both sed commands continue to work correctly for me on both of your files.

Code:
$ cat file1
*Comment Frame 641 at 666.667 us
000000,CB1F,0,0,0,0,1,0,1
*Main End
$ sed -n -e '/\*Main End/{H;g;p;q;};h' file1
*Main End
$ sed -n -e '/\*Main End/{g;p;q;};h' file1
$
$
$
$
$
$ cat file2
*Comment Frame
5,7E3D,0,0,0,0,1,0,1
*Main End
$ sed -n -e '/\*Main End/{H;g;p;q;};h' file2
5,7E3D,0,0,0,0,1,0,1
*Main End
$ sed -n -e '/\*Main End/{g;p;q;};h' file2
5,7E3D,0,0,0,0,1,0,1
$

Yeah You are absolutely right its working under Linux.
But In Sun OS it's not working..

Thank you ..

Last edited by user_prady; 12-18-2007 at 05:18 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return status of all previous runs

hi, I set the crontab to execute script A every 5 minutes from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm everyday, now at 12:00am I want to run another script if and only if all the previous runs of script A return OK, can anyone tell me how it could be done? thank you very very much! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpang_
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

return previous line for pattern match

Hi, Need some idea on file processing, I have file like below, Processing al sources ... ...No value found : CHECK. Completed comparing all sources. Comparing schedulers... Processing al targets ... ...No value found : From above I need to extract the line where "No value... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: braindrain
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: appending alternate line after previous line

Hi all, I have to append every alternate line after its previous line. For example if my file has following contents line 1: unix is an OS line 2: it is open source line 3: it supports shell programming line 4: we can write shell scripts Required output should be line1: unix is an OS it is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rish_max
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete line with match and previous line quoting/escaping problem

Hi folks, I've list of LDAP records in this format: cat cmmac.export.tmp2 dn: deviceId=0a92746a54tbmd34b05758900131136a506,ou=devices,ou=customer,ou=nl,o=upc cmmac: 00:13:11:36:a5:06 dn: deviceId=0a92746a62pbms4662299650015961cfa23,ou=devices,ou=customer,ou=nl,o=upc cmmac:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomas.polak
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed Comparing Parenthesized Values In Previous Line To Current Line

I am trying to delete lines in archived Apache httpd logs Each line has the pattern: <ip-address> - - <date-time> <document-request-URL> <http-response> <size-of-req'd-doc> <referring-document-URL> This pattern is shown in the example of 6 lines from the log in the code box below. These 6... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Proteomist
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove previous line if next & previous lines have same 4th character.

I want to remove commands having no output. In below text file. bash-3.2$ cat abc_do_it.txt grpg10so>show trunk group all status grpg11so>show trunk group all status grpg12so>show trunk group all status GCPKNYAIGT73IMO 1440 1345 0 0 94 0 0 INSERVICE 93% 0%... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raza Ali
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to remove fields space and append next line to previous line.?

awk 'BEGIN{FS = "Ç"} NR == 1 {p = $0; next} NF > 1 {print p; p = $0} NF <= 1 {p = (p " " $0)} END {print p}' input.txt > output.txt This is what the input data file looks like with broken lines Code: 29863 Ç890000000 Ç543209911 ÇCHNGOHG Ç000000001 Ç055 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cumeh1624
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find a string in a line in UNIX file and delete that line and previous 3 lines ?

Hi , i have a file with data as below.This is same file. But actual file contains to many rows. i want to search for a string "Field 039 00" and delete that line and previous 3 lines in that file.. Can some body suggested me how can i do using either sed or awk command ? Field 004... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vadlamudy
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print previous line of multiple pattern matched line?

Hello, I have below format log file, Comparing csv_converted_files/2201/9747.1012H67126.5077292103609547345.csv and csv_converted_files/22019/97447.1012H67126.5077292103609547345.csv Comparing csv_converted_files/2559/9447.1012H67126.5077292103609547345.csv and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindshukla81
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove new line starting with a numeric value and append it to the previous line

Hi, i have a file with multiple entries. After some tests with sed i managed to get the file output as follows: lsn=X-LINK-IN0,apc=661:0,state=avail,avail/links=1/1, 00,2110597,2094790,0,81,529,75649011,56435363, lsn=TM1ITP1-AM1ITP1-LS,apc=500:0,state=avail,avail/links=1/1,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
5 Replies
MORE(1) 							   User Commands							   MORE(1)

NAME
more - file perusal filter for crt viewing SYNOPSIS
more [options] file... DESCRIPTION
more is a filter for paging through text one screenful at a time. This version is especially primitive. Users should realize that less(1) provides more(1) emulation plus extensive enhancements. OPTIONS
Options are also taken from the environment variable MORE (make sure to precede them with a dash (-)) but command-line options will over- ride those. -d Prompt with "[Press space to continue, 'q' to quit.]", and display "[Press 'h' for instructions.]" instead of ringing the bell when an illegal key is pressed. -l Do not pause after any line containing a ^L (form feed). -f Count logical lines, rather than screen lines (i.e., long lines are not folded). -p Do not scroll. Instead, clear the whole screen and then display the text. Notice that this option is switched on automatically if the executable is named page. -c Do not scroll. Instead, paint each screen from the top, clearing the remainder of each line as it is displayed. -s Squeeze multiple blank lines into one. -u Suppress underlining. -number The screen size to use, in number of lines. +number Start displaying each file at line number. +/string The string to be searched in each file before starting to display it. --help Display help text and exit. -V, --version Display version information and exit. COMMANDS
Interactive commands for more are based on vi(1). Some commands may be preceded by a decimal number, called k in the descriptions below. In the following descriptions, ^X means control-X. h or ? Help; display a summary of these commands. If you forget all other commands, remember this one. SPACE Display next k lines of text. Defaults to current screen size. z Display next k lines of text. Defaults to current screen size. Argument becomes new default. RETURN Display next k lines of text. Defaults to 1. Argument becomes new default. d or ^D Scroll k lines. Default is current scroll size, initially 11. Argument becomes new default. q or Q or INTERRUPT Exit. s Skip forward k lines of text. Defaults to 1. f Skip forward k screenfuls of text. Defaults to 1. b or ^B Skip backwards k screenfuls of text. Defaults to 1. Only works with files, not pipes. ' Go to the place where the last search started. = Display current line number. /pattern Search for kth occurrence of regular expression. Defaults to 1. n Search for kth occurrence of last regular expression. Defaults to 1. !command or :!command Execute command in a subshell. v Start up an editor at current line. The editor is taken from the environment variable VISUAL if defined, or EDITOR if VISUAL is not defined, or defaults to vi if neither VISUAL nor EDITOR is defined. ^L Redraw screen. :n Go to kth next file. Defaults to 1. :p Go to kth previous file. Defaults to 1. :f Display current file name and line number. . Repeat previous command. ENVIRONMENT
The more command respects the following environment variables, if they exist: MORE This variable may be set with favored options to more. SHELL Current shell in use (normally set by the shell at login time). TERM The terminal type used by more to get the terminal characteristics necessary to manipulate the screen. VISUAL The editor the user prefers. Invoked when command key v is pressed. EDITOR The editor of choice when VISUAL is not specified. SEE ALSO
less(1), vi(1) AUTHORS
Eric Shienbrood, UC Berkeley Modified by Geoff Peck, UCB to add underlining, single spacing Modified by John Foderaro, UCB to add -c and MORE environment variable HISTORY
The more command appeared in 3.0BSD. This man page documents more version 5.19 (Berkeley 6/29/88), which is currently in use in the Linux community. Documentation was produced using several other versions of the man page, and extensive inspection of the source code. AVAILABILITY
The more command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util- linux/>. util-linux February 2014 MORE(1)