Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: path variables
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers path variables Post 302151829 by sszd on Monday 17th of December 2007 02:23:43 PM
Old 12-17-2007
path variables

I'm looking for an explanation to what appears to be some kind of shell substitution values found in various path environment variables such as PATH, CDPATH, MANPATH, etc. These values appear as things like %T, %S, %N, %L. I'm not sure what these mean, and have searched through a multitude of man pages looking for some sort of explanation. I don't know if they are related specifically to the shell, the OS, or the path variable itself. What I would like to know is, what do these mean, and what are all the possible values? Better yet, what documentation or man pages talk about these so I can read about these myself? Here are some examples of how I've seen these values used.

export CDPATH=:/${HOME}\
:/some_directory_path/some_subdirectory\
:/another_directory_path/another_subdirectory/%N

export SCHEMESEARCHPATH=/net/${DEFAULTHOST}/~/%T/%N%S\
:/usr/atria/config/ui/Schemes/%N%S

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Path Autocomplete w/ Variables

Suppose there exists a file, "/home/andrew/product/test". And suppose I set $FOO to "/home/andrew/product/"? I can't seem to type "$FOO/t" and then Escape (csh) in order to autocomplete. Is this possible in other shells? If not, then why? If so, then why can't csh do it, and how can I make... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: acheong87
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing Commands From Non-Standard Path (Changing user's PATH secretely???)

Hi: I have a requirement as below: I have some standard Unix commands modified and kept them in a directory say /usr/clsh/bin. For example I have a script named "ls" kept here which is modified version of "ls" (say it always gives long listing i.e. ls -l). When any user logs on and types... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramesh_samane
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve directory path from full file path through sh

Hi, I have a file abcd.txt which has contents in the form of full path file names i.e. $home> vi abcd.txt /a/b/c/r1.txt /q/w/e/r2.txt /z/x/c/r3.txt Now I want to retrieve only the directory path name for each row i.e /a/b/c/ /q/w/e/ How to get the same through shell script?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix Library path variables.

Library path variables. I need to know the library rnvironment variable in linux. Ie, I install zlib directory in the custom path /usr/local/mylib and give --enable-zlib in the ffmpeg install, ffmpeg should check for the zlib libraries in the path /usr/local/mylib. Currently it checks /usr/lib... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anilcliff
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 11 + PATH enviroments variables

Ok, this is the little annoying. I can't set up $PATH variable for all non root users on Solaris 11 express. oracle@DevelopBox01:/export/home/oracle$ cat /etc/default/login ........ # PATH sets the initial shell PATH variable #... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files from parent path to multiple child path using bash in efficient way

Hi All, Can you please provide some pointers to move files from Base path to multiple paths in efficient way.Folder Structure is already created. /Path/AdminUser/User1/1111/Reports/aaa.txt to /Path/User1/1111/Reports/aaa.txt /Path/AdminUser/User1/2222/Reports/bbb.txt to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikgv417
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate class path dynamically based on source path

Hi experts, I have multiple file names ending with .jsp located in $SOME_DIR, $SOME_DIR/f1/,$SOME_DIR/f2/test,$SOME_DIR/f3/fa and there are equivalent class files in $SOME_DIR/WEB-INF/classes/_pages,$SOME_DIR/WEB-INF/classes/_pages/_f1,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: oraclermanpt
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Command to see the logical volume path, device mapper path and its corresponding dm device path

Currently I am using this laborious command lvdisplay | awk '/LV Path/ {p=$3} /LV Name/ {n=$3} /VG Name/ {v=$3} /Block device/ {d=$3; sub(".*:", "/dev/dm-", d); printf "%s\t%s\t%s\n", p, "/dev/mapper/"v"-"n, d}' Would like to know if there is any shorter method to get this mapping of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert Relative path to Absolute path, without changing directory to the file location.

Hello, I am creating a file with all the source folders included in my git branch, when i grep for the used source, i found source included as relative path instead of absolute path, how can convert relative path to absolute path without changing directory to that folder and using readlink -f ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekhar419
4 Replies

10. Programming

Makefile missing include path Although the path exists and defined

i have make file which i try to make them generic but it keeps to compline it missing include directory this is the makefile : CXX=g++ CPPFAGS= -Wall -O0 -g -std=c++14 INCLUDES = -I/home/vagrant/libuv/include -Isrc LIBS_DIRS = -L/home/vagrant/libuv/build LDFLAGS=... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
7 Replies
cd(1)								   User Commands							     cd(1)

NAME
cd, chdir, pushd, popd, dirs - change working directory SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/cd [directory] sh cd [argument] chdir [argument] csh cd [dir] chdir [dir] pushd [+n | dir] popd [+ n] dirs [-l] ksh cd [-L] [-P] [arg] cd old new DESCRIPTION
/usr/bin/cd The /usr/bin/cd utility changes the current directory in the context of the cd utility only. This is in contrast to the version built into the shell. /usr/bin/cd has no effect on the invoking process but can be used to determine whether or not a given directory can be set as the current directory. sh The Bourne shell built-in cd changes the current directory to argument. The shell parameter HOME is the default argument. The shell parame- ter CDPATH defines the search path for the directory containing argument. Alternative directory names are separated by a colon (:). The default path is <null> (specifying the current directory). The current directory is specified by a null path name, which can appear immedi- ately after the equal sign or between the colon delimiters anywhere else in the path list. If argument begins with `/', `.', or `.. ', the search path is not used. Otherwise, each directory in the path is searched for argument. cd must have execute (search) permission in argu- ment. Because a new process is created to execute each command, cd would be ineffective if it were written as a normal command; therefore, it is recognized by and is internal to the shell. (See pwd(1), sh(1), and chdir(2)). chdir is just another way to call cd. csh If dir is not specified, the C shell built-in cd uses the value of shell parameter HOME as the new working directory. If dir specifies a complete path starting with ` / ', ` . ', or ` .. ', dir becomes the new working directory. If neither case applies, cd tries to find the designated directory relative to one of the paths specified by the CDPATH shell variable. CDPATH has the same syntax as, and similar seman- tics to, the PATH shell variable. cd must have execute (search) permission in dir. Because a new process is created to execute each com- mand, cd would be ineffective if it were written as a normal command; therefore, it is recognized by and is internal to the C-shell. (See pwd(1), sh(1), and chdir(2)). chdir changes the shell's working directory to directory dir. If no argument is given, change to the home directory of the user. If dir is a relative pathname not found in the current directory, check for it in those directories listed in the cdpath variable. If dir is the name of a shell variable whose value starts with a /, change to the directory named by that value. pushd pushes a directory onto the directory stack. With no arguments, exchange the top two elements. +n Rotate the n'th entry to the top of the stack and cd to it. dir Push the current working directory onto the stack and change to dir. popd pops the directory stack and cd to the new top directory. The elements of the directory stack are numbered from 0 starting at the top. +n Discard the n'th entry in the stack. dirs prints the directory stack, most recent to the left; the first directory shown is the current directory. With the -l argument, produce an unabbreviated printout; use of the ~ notation is suppressed. ksh The Korn shell built-in cd command can be in either of two forms. In the first form it changes the current directory to arg. If arg is - the directory is changed to the previous directory. The shell variable HOME is the default arg. The environment variable PWD is set to the current directory. If the PWD is changed, the OLDPWD environment variable shall also be changed to the value of the old working directory, that is, the current working directory immediately prior to the call to change directory (cd). The shell variable CDPATH defines the search path for the directory containing arg. Alternative directory names are separated by a colon (:). The default path is null (specifying the current directory). The current directory is specified by a null path name, which can appear immediately after the equal sign or between the colon delimiters anywhere else in the path list. If arg begins with a ` / ', ` . ', or ` .. ', then the search path is not used. Other- wise, each directory in the path is searched for arg. If unsuccessful, cd attempts to change directories to the pathname formed by the con- catenation of the value of PWD, a slash character, and arg. -L Handles the operation dot-dot (..) logically. Symbolic link components are not resolved before dot-dot components are processed. -P Handles the operand dot-dot physically. Symbolic link components are resolved before dot-dot components are processed. If both -L and -P options are specified, the last option to be invoked is used and the other is ignored. If neither -L nor -P is specified, the operand is handled dot-dot logically. The second form of cd substitutes the string new for the string old in the current directory name, PWD and tries to change to this new directory. The cd command cannot be executed by rksh. Because a new process is created to execute each command, cd would be ineffective if it were written as a normal command; therefore, it is recognized by and is internal to the Korn shell. (See pwd(1), sh(1), and chdir(2)). OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: directory An absolute or relative pathname of the directory that becomes the new working directory. The interpretation of a relative pathname by cd depends on the CDPATH environment variable. OUTPUT
If a non-empty directory name from CDPATH is used, an absolute pathname of the new working directory is written to the standard output as follows: "%s ", <new directory> Otherwise, there is no output. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of cd: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. CDPATH A colon-separated list of pathnames that refer to directories. If the directory operand does not begin with a slash ( / ) character, and the first component is not dot or dot-dot, cd searches for directory relative to each directory named in the CDPATH variable, in the order listed. The new working directory sets to the first matching directory found. An empty string in place of a directory pathname represents the current directory. If CDPATH is not set, it is treated as if it were an empty string. HOME The name of the home directory, used when no directory operand is specified. OLDPWD A pathname of the previous working directory, used by cd-. PWD A pathname of the current working directory, set by cd after it has changed to that directory. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned by cd: 0 The directory was successfully changed. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), pwd(1), sh(1), chdir(2), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 13 Jul 2004 cd(1)