Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: recreating /dev/null
Operating Systems HP-UX recreating /dev/null Post 302151719 by porter on Monday 17th of December 2007 04:19:18 AM
Old 12-17-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by pblake1
D-class HP 9000
Don't knock it, it's the only dual CPU machine I have.... Smilie

Anyway, the best I can offer is for HPUX 11.11

Code:
$ uname -a
HP-UX electra B.11.11 U 9000/725 2013052205 unlimited-user license
$ ls -ld /dev/null
crw-rw-rw-   1 bin        bin          3 0x000002 Dec 16 13:01 /dev/null

Quote:
If the file is a special file, the size field contains the major and minor device numbers rather than a size.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

>/dev/null

Maybe it's an stupid question but remeber... I'm Junior.. I use command line to run programs, and some of them gives a lot of information when, for example, you open a window or other actions. That's really bad because my terminal gets full of unwanted messages, so I use "bin file & >/dev/null"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: piltrafa
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/null

Hi , I am importing some table from /dev/null i dont understand what is /dev/null Sorry i am new to UNIX sam71 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam71
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Q1 :/dev/null Q2 -A

Hi, Q1-What does nroff -ms > /dev/null Q2- What does mean -A under STAT column : ps aux |head -20 UTIL PID %CPU %MEM SZ RSS TTY STAT STIME TIME COMMAND root 516 93,0 0,0 12 12 - A 04 nov 3906:51 wait Thank you. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
4 Replies

4. Solaris

What is /dev/tty /dev/null and /dev/console

Hi, Anyone can help My solaris 8 system has the following /dev/null , /dev/tty and /dev/console All permission are lrwxrwxrwx Can this be change to a non-world write ?? any impact ?? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: civic2005
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

/dev/null

Hi expert, May I know what is the difference between below cron tab entry ? 0,12 * * * * /abc/myscript.sh > /dev/null 2>&1 0,12 * * * * /abc/myscript.sh (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: olaris
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

/dev/null what is the use of it?

when do you use the path /dev/null (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: webmunkey23
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/null 2>&1 Versus /dev/null 2>1

How are these two different? They both prevent output and error from being displayed. I don't see the use of the "&" echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>&1 echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting standard out to /dev/null goes to file "/dev/null" instead

I apologize if this question has been answered else where or is too elementary. I ran across a KSH script (long unimportant story) that does this: if ; then CAS_SRC_LOG="/var/log/cas_src.log 2>&1" else CAS_SRC_LOG="/dev/null 2>&1" fithen does this: /usr/bin/echo "heartbeat:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbmorrisonjr
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with /dev/null Please

Hello All and a Happy New year to yous guys. I'm running the below command on my AIX box and it keeps giving me the message that the file doesn't exist. I know the file don't exist, but I don't want to see the error. 2>/dev/null doesn't work. bash-3.00$ ls -l C* | wc -l 2>/dev/null ls:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

2>/dev/null

Friends have the following problem a search may not find anything which would correct example: ls -ltr *prueba.txt | nawk '{ print $9 }' > Procesar.dat 2>/dev/null When he finds nothing gives me the following error ls: prueba.txt: No such file or directory because 2> / dev / null... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
4 Replies
MAKEDEV(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							MAKEDEV(3)

NAME
makedev, major, minor - manage a device number SYNOPSIS
#define _BSD_SOURCE #include <sys/types.h> dev_t makedev(int maj, int min); int major(dev_t dev); int minor(dev_t dev); DESCRIPTION
A device ID consists of two parts: a major ID, identifying the class of the device, and a minor ID, identifying a specific instance of a device in that class. A device ID is represented using the type dev_t. Given major and minor device IDs, makedev() combines these to produce a device ID, returned as the function result. This device ID can be given to mknod(2), for example. The major() and minor() functions perform the converse task: given a device ID, they return, respectively, the major and minor components. These macros can be useful to, for example, decompose the device IDs in the structure returned by stat(2). CONFORMING TO
The makedev() major() and minor() functions are not specified in POSIX.1, but are present on many other systems. NOTES
These interfaces are defined as macros. Since glibc 2.3.3, they have been aliases for three GNU-specific functions: gnu_dev_makedev(3), gnu_dev_major(3), and gnu_dev_minor(3). The latter names are exported, but the traditional names are more portable. SEE ALSO
mknod(2), stat(2) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2008-12-01 MAKEDEV(3)