Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: fail to telnet localhost 106
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu fail to telnet localhost 106 Post 302151549 by satimis on Sunday 16th of December 2007 10:10:43 AM
Old 12-16-2007
fail to telnet localhost 106

Hi folks,

Ubuntu 7.04 server amd64

On running;

$ telnet localhost 106
Code:
Trying 127.0.0.1...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

$ netstat -an | grep 106
$ sudo netstat -an | grep 106
both no printout

Pls advise where shall I check and how to fix the problem. TIA

P.S.
1)
confirmed with ISP port 106 is open

2)
I'm adding "change password" plugin on SquirrelMail. After installing poppassd on repo I tested it whether works according to /usr/local/squirrelmail/www/plugins/change_pass/INSTALL
Code:
Be sure to test and make certain your poppass daemon is working properly.
To test, try telneting into the daemon and changing a password:

$ telnet localhost 106
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
200 poppassd v1.8.1 hello, who are you?
user <username>
200 Your password please.
pass <oldpassword>
200 Your new password please.
newpass <newpassword>
200 Password changed, thank-you.
quit
200 Bye.
Connection closed by foreign host.

B.R.
satimis

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Telnet fail

Hi, I try to telnet to server: # telnet xx.xxx.1.72 1521 Trying xx.xxx.1.72... telnet: connect to address xx.xxx.1.72: Connection refused telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused iptables is off: # service iptables status Firewall is stopped. # And I have edit... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehrdad68
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

If Telnet fail abort other command..??

Hi Team, I my script i telent my node ip and after loging i run some commands...But some time login fail so i want to stop script at that time.. CONFIG_CHNG.sh printf 'Please Input Node ID : ' read node node="$node" #exec > node_log_$node.log 2>&1 #set -x >... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh Mankar
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Telnet failed to localhost.

Hi, I am trying telnet to localhost 514. But the connection is refusing. Port does not appear in netstat. IP table service is also off. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nishit
5 Replies
HOSTS(5)							File Formats Manual							  HOSTS(5)

NAME
hosts - hostname to IP address database SYNOPSIS
/etc/hosts DESCRIPTION
The hosts database lists the IP addresses and the hostnames that translate to these IP addresses. It is used by nonamed(8) in a network without name servers. A simple /etc/hosts may look like this: 127.0.0.1 localhost 192.9.200.1 darask 192.9.200.2 burask The localhost entry lists a special address that refers to the local host itself (a kind of /dev/tty for hosts.) You should only list it if nonamed needs it! The other entries are actual machines. The file may contain comments marked with '#'. You can have aliases (more hostnames on the same line), but it is not recommended, because nonamed can't present them to the system as CNAME records. An often seen form like 192.9.200.1 darask.home.cs.vu.nl darask is harmless though, and has the small advantage that you can use the short name in /etc/ethers so rarpd can match it at boot time. FILES
/etc/hosts Hosts database. SEE ALSO
ethers(5), nonamed(8), rarpd(8), boot(8). AUTHOR
Kees J. Bot (kjb@cs.vu.nl) HOSTS(5)