Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers assigning values to a variable Post 302151234 by vino on Friday 14th of December 2007 12:55:34 AM
Old 12-14-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by trichyselva

ddd=`abc_uik_20070925_033743.Z`
echo $ddd

this doesnot produce desired result it is telling that

abc.ksh: abc_uik_20070925_033743.Z: not found

can any one help
What are you trying to do ?

Remember that ` and ' are not the same. If you wrap a string within `, then the shell will try to execute whatever the string says. What you need is to wrap the string within '.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Assigning values to an array

The way I've been using arrays currently have been: #!/bin/ksh set -A myArray myArray=value1 myArray=value2 myArray=value3 myArray=value4 Is there a way I can assign values to an array that will automatically place the value into the next element in the array like: myArray=value1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem assigning values to variable

Date of Request: 20080514 10:37 Submitted By: JPCHIANG i want to get the value "JPCHIANG" only in read a file, however, when i do this: name=`"$line"|cut -d " " -f8` it display all the line and append 'not found' at the end of the statement the $line is actually a variable in a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: finalight
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning the values to an Array

hi every body, i donot know how to assign a array varible with a file see i having file more file property1 Name property2 Address the above two line are tab Space seperated between the property and its value i want to seperate it and assign to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kkraja
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning multiple values to a variable

Hi Guru`s, I have to write a prog. which will traverse through diff. directories and then extract some data from files. I have written it and its working fine. But I have tested it in 1 folder. There are many folders and I need to loop through each of them. I am not sure abt the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: unx100
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh help assigning specific values to variable in script

Hi - Help needed. I have an input file that looks something like this, but with a lot more entries: A Customer1 B 4500 C 8000 A Customer2 B 6422 C 8922 I need to be able to print details for each customer on one line per customer. ie. if I could print these to a file and then cat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning a set of values to a variable

I wnat to assign a set of values to a variable and use it in if condition. for example: i=$1 d=1 2 3 4 5 6 if then echo "Fine" else echo "Check" fi i will either of the value in d, i.e. i can be 1 or 2 or any value in d, How this can be done? Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning fields values to different variables

Hi, I have this code: cat file.txt | awk -F, 'NR==1{print $6","$8","$10","$20","$21","$19}' > file.tmp VAR1=`cat file.tmp | cut -d "," -f1` VAR2=`cat file.tmp | cut -d "," -f2` VAR3=`cat file.tmp | cut -d "," -f3`; VAR4=`cat file.tmp | cut -d "," -f4`; VAR5=`cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tr0cken
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with assigning multiple values to a variable

I have a situation where my variable needs to pick up any of the 4 values from the environment it is in for e.g i am on server named a server=a (script running on this server) ftp servers= b c d e ----- the parameter passed should be any of these values in these 4 values, if not throw an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Assigning a value to a variable name then running a loop on these values

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could assist me for (what is probably) a very straightforward answer. I have input files containing something like File 1 Apples Apples Apples Apples File 2 Bananas Bananas Bananas Bananas (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hubleo
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning numeric values to variable

I have a code like this v_num=9 comp_num=39 if then echo "pass" fi echo "end" I am getting an error ksh: v_num=99 comp_num=39 if then echo "pass" fi echo "end" (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swayam123
3 Replies
COLORS(3)						   libbash colors Library Manual						 COLORS(3)

NAME
colors -- libbash library for setting tty colors. SYNOPSIS
colorSet <color> colorReset colorPrint [<indent>] <color> <text> colorPrintN [<indent>] <color> <text> DESCRIPTION
General colors is a collection of functions that make it very easy to put colored text on tty. The function list: colorSet Sets the color of the prints to the tty to COLOR colorReset Resets current tty color back to normal colorPrint Prints TEXT in the color COLOR indented by INDENT (without adding a newline) colorPrintN The same as colorPrint, but trailing newline is added Detailed interface description follows. Available colors: Green Red Yellow White The color parameter is non-case-sensitive (i.e. RED, red, ReD, and all the other forms are valid and are the same as Red). FUNCTIONS DESCRIPTIONS
colorSet <color> Sets the current printing color to color. colorReset Resets current tty color back to normal. colorPrint [<indent>] <color> Prints text using the color color indented by indent (without adding a newline). Parameters: <indent> The column to move to before start printing. This parameter is optional. If ommitted - start output from current cursor position. <color> The color to use. <color> The text to print. colorPrintN [<indent>] <color> The same as colorPrint, except a trailing newline is added. EXAMPLES
Printing a green 'Hello World' with a newline: Using colorSet: $ colorSet green $ echo 'Hello World' $ colorReset Using colorPrint: $ colorPrint 'Hello World'; echo Using colorPrintN: $ colorPrintN 'Hello World' AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <gil@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), libbash(1) Linux Epoch Linux