Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: swapspace problem
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat swapspace problem Post 302151145 by cdd315 on Thursday 13th of December 2007 04:43:57 PM
Old 12-13-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by porter
Unless programs are failing to run or failing to allocate sufficient memory to do their tasks then having 0% of swap space used is not a problem.
What do you do if it is a problem? I have a server running RHEL 3 update 5 in an Oracle RAC with two other identical servers. They all have 4GB of RAM and 2GB partitions for swap. The three servers are at high mem usage and usually into swap between 100MB - 600MB. One of the three has swap available but is not using it and we had to restart some Oracle services because they couldn't allocate memory. It was recently rebooted to try and solve the swap problem but as far as I can tell it's still not using swap.

Code:
[root@proteus ~]# free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:          3766       3666        100          0        205       2948
-/+ buffers/cache:        512       3254
Swap:         2047          0       2047
[root@proteus ~]# cat /proc/swaps 
Filename                        Type            Size    Used    Priority
/dev/sda3                       partition       2096472 0       -2

I've tried recreating the swap partition by doing a swapoff/mkswap/swapon on /dev/sda3. I've also tried creating a file based swap and adding that with no avail.

Any ideas?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with dd command or maybe AFS problem

Hi, folks. Sorry for bothering, but maybe someone could help me please. The problem is the following: there is some script that copies files from local file system to AFS. The copying is performed with dd command. The script copies data into some AFS volumes. The problem appeared with one... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anta
0 Replies

2. Linux

swapspace utilization.....

i just want to know that is the swapspace utilization is starts, after full utilization of memory space(ie., 100% utilization of memory)???? because i am facing the problem that swapspace utilization is 0% even the memory utilization is above 99%. please anyone suggest me...im very new to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rrlog
1 Replies

3. Solaris

problem in finding a hardware problem

Hi I am right now facing a strange hardware problem. System get booted with the following error: Fatal Error Reset CPU 0000.0000.0000.0003 AFSR 0100.0000.0000.0000 SCE AFAR 0000.07c6.0000.1000 SC Alert: Host System has Reset It happen 4 or 5 times and get the same error every time.I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
8 Replies

4. AIX

user login problem & Files listing problem.

1) when user login to the server the session got colosed. How will resolve? 2) While firing the command ls -l we are not able to see the any files in the director. but over all view the file system using the command df -g it is showing 91% used. what will be the problem? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pernasivam
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

Mail Problem. Maybe, it is a DNS Problem!

Hi, i've a redhat linux 9 upadated by redhat from 7 version to 9 version. A couple of days ago i was a problem with my mail, in other words i'm not able to get any email nor to send any email. I've a proxy configuration and i tried to set iptables in order to verify the port. The 110,255 and 995... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pintalgi
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DHCP problem and eth1 problem

At work I am trying to get this one Linux machine (let's call it ctesgm07) to behave like another Linux machine that we have (let's call it test007). test007 returns the following version info: cat /etc/debian_version: lenny/sid uname -a: Linux test007 2.6.27-7-generic #1 SMP Tue Nov 4... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sllinux
0 Replies

7. AIX

AIX OS problem? network problem?

Dear ALL. I installed AIX OS on customer sites. but Only one site is too slow when I connected telnet, ftp.. Ping is too fast. but telnet and FTP is not connected.. of course i check the configuration file on aix but it's normal. Do any Idea?? thanks in advance. - Jun - (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jeon Jun Seok
3 Replies

8. IP Networking

Problem with forwarding emails (SPF problem)

Hi, This is rather a question from a "user" than from a sys admin, but I think this forum is apropriate for the question. I have an adress with automatic email forwarding and for some senders (two hietherto), emails are bouncing. This has really created a lot of problems those two time so I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: carwe
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed Or Grep Problem OR Terminal Problem?

I don't know if you guys get this problem sometimes at Terminal but I had been having this problem since yesterday :( Maybe I overdid the Terminal. Even the codes that used to work doesn't work anymore. Here is what 's happening: * I wanted to remove lines containing digits so I used this... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexeu
25 Replies

10. IP Networking

Router problem or ISP problem ?

Hi everyone, I am experiencing discontinuity of Internet service, this started 1 month ago. Everything worked very well for 1 year of intensive use, but now, I have problems reaching my gateway. The gateway is not my router but a node belonging to my ISP and I share the same public IP with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: remic
3 Replies
MKSWAP(8)						       System Administration							 MKSWAP(8)

NAME
mkswap - set up a Linux swap area SYNOPSIS
mkswap [options] device [size] DESCRIPTION
mkswap sets up a Linux swap area on a device or in a file. The device argument will usually be a disk partition (something like /dev/sdb7) but can also be a file. The Linux kernel does not look at partition IDs, but many installation scripts will assume that partitions of hex type 82 (LINUX_SWAP) are meant to be swap partitions. (Warning: Solaris also uses this type. Be careful not to kill your Solaris partitions.) The size parameter is superfluous but retained for backwards compatibility. (It specifies the desired size of the swap area in 1024-byte blocks. mkswap will use the entire partition or file if it is omitted. Specifying it is unwise - a typo may destroy your disk.) After creating the swap area, you need the swapon command to start using it. Usually swap areas are listed in /etc/fstab so that they can be taken into use at boot time by a swapon -a command in some boot script. WARNING
The swap header does not touch the first block. A boot loader or disk label can be there, but it is not a recommended setup. The recom- mended setup is to use a separate partition for a Linux swap area. mkswap, like many others mkfs-like utils, erases the first partition block to make any previous filesystem invisible. However, mkswap refuses to erase the first block on a device with a disk label (SUN, BSD, ...). OPTIONS
-c, --check Check the device (if it is a block device) for bad blocks before creating the swap area. If any bad blocks are found, the count is printed. -f, --force Go ahead even if the command is stupid. This allows the creation of a swap area larger than the file or partition it resides on. Also, without this option, mkswap will refuse to erase the first block on a device with a partition table. -L, --label label Specify a label for the device, to allow swapon by label. -p, --pagesize size Specify the page size (in bytes) to use. This option is usually unnecessary; mkswap reads the size from the kernel. -U, --uuid UUID Specify the UUID to use. The default is to generate a UUID. -v, --swapversion 1 Specify the swap-space version. (This option is currently pointless, as the old -v 0 option has become obsolete and now only -v 1 is supported. The kernel has not supported v0 swap-space format since 2.5.22 (June 2002). The new version v1 is supported since 2.1.117 (August 1998).) -h, --help Display help text and exit. -V, --version Display version information and exit. NOTES
The maximum useful size of a swap area depends on the architecture and the kernel version. The maximum number of the pages that is possible to address by swap area header is 4294967295 (UINT_MAX). The remaining space on the swap device is ignored. Presently, Linux allows 32 swap areas. The areas in use can be seen in the file /proc/swaps mkswap refuses areas smaller than 10 pages. If you don't know the page size that your machine uses, you may be able to look it up with "cat /proc/cpuinfo" (or you may not - the con- tents of this file depend on architecture and kernel version). To set up a swap file, it is necessary to create that file before initializing it with mkswap, e.g. using a command like # fallocate --length 8GiB swapfile Note that a swap file must not contain any holes. Using cp(1) to create the file is not acceptable. Neither is use of fallocate(1) on file systems that support preallocated files, such as XFS or ext4, or on copy-on-write filesystems like btrfs. It is recommended to use dd(1) and /dev/zero in these cases. Please read notes from swapon(8) before adding a swap file to copy-on-write filesystems. ENVIRONMENT
LIBBLKID_DEBUG=all enables libblkid debug output. SEE ALSO
fdisk(8), swapon(8) AVAILABILITY
The mkswap command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux March 2009 MKSWAP(8)