Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to modify the last line in the file. Post 302150841 by Smiling Dragon on Wednesday 12th of December 2007 09:41:03 PM
Old 12-12-2007
I don't fully understand what you are wanting to do here, but tail -c x should be able to get you the last x many characters.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to modify a line in a file

Hello I have an input that looks like this: d:/bla1/bla2/bla3/bla1.txt d:/bla1/bla2/bla4/bla2.txt d:/bla1/bla2/bla5/bla1.txt d:/bla1/bla2/bla6/bla2.txt d:/bla1/bla2/bla7/bla1.txt and i need the output to looks like this: d:/bla1/bla2/bla3/bla1_bla3.txt... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RoadKill
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify Specific Line of a Text File

Given a text file, how do you add a line of text after a specific line number? I believe I would want to use "sed" but I am unsure of the syntax. Thank you. Mike (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to modify perl script: Text file with line and more than 1 space

Dear Friends, I am beginner in Perl and trying to find the problem in a script. Kindly help me to modify the script. My script is not giving the output for the last field and followed text (LA: Language English). Input file & script as follows: Input file: Thu Mar 19 2:34:14 EDT 2009 STC... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srsahu75
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify sections of the line in a file

Hello.. I have a line in a file which I have to edit: the line looks like: <!]> Sometimes, the section of the line can have only one entry for cn, or maybe more than 2 like below: <!]> I have a variable which has the following value: CN="(cn=MNO)(cn=XYZ)" I need to replace the part... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with a shell script to modify one line and copy the next 9 to same file

Hi everyone, the problem is quite simple, yet I can't find an easy solution using awk. I need to search for a string in $3, then if I find this string, copy the line,modify $3, and copy the next 9 lines to the same file. My problem is in the copying of the lines... Finding and modifying... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Teroc
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use sed to modify a line above or below matching pattern?

I couldn't figure out how to use sed or any other shell to do the following. Can anyone help? Thanks. If seeing a string (e.g., TODAY) in the line, replace a string in the line above (e.g, replace "Raining" with "Sunny") and replace a string in the line below (e.g., replace "Reading" with... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sprinner
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify line with dynamic variable in awk

Hi, I'm guessing this is probably relatively straight forward to do in awk, but I just can't get my head round it! I have a log file of the following format: 3:03:35 (lmgrd) TIMESTAMP 10/14/2011 3:20:41 (MLM) IN: "MATLAB" user1@host1.private.dns.zone 3:21:05 (MLM) IN: "MATLAB"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrissycc
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify a file by another file: add new line and variable after string is found

hello, I have problem with writing/adjusting a shell script. I searched forum and unfortunately couldn't write scipt based on the information I found. I never wtire such so it's hard for me and I do need to modify one script immediately. case looks like: 1. 'file' that needs to be modified... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bipbip
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify one line in a plain text file

Hi everyone, I want to know, if there is a way to modify one line in a text file with unix script, with out re-writing all the file. For example, i have this file: CONFIGURATION_1=XXXX CONFIGURATION_2=YYYY CONFIGURATION_3=ZZZZ supose i have a command or function "modify" that... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xedrox
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Modify text file if found multiple pattern match for every line.

Looking for help, i have input file like below and want to modify to expected output, if can without create additional file, hope can direct modify it. have 2 thing need do. 1st is adding a word (testplan generation off) after ! ! IPG: Tue Aug 07 14:31:17 2018 2nd is adding... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: kttan
16 Replies
MAKE(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   MAKE(1)

NAME
make - a program for maintaining large programs SYNOPSIS
make [-f file] [-iknpqrst] [option] ... [target] OPTIONS
-f Use file as the makefile -i Ignore status returned by commands -k On error, skip to next command -n Report, but do not execute -p Print macros and targets -q Question up-to-dateness of target -r Rule inhibit; do not use default rules -s Silent mode -t Touch files instead of making them EXAMPLES
make kernel # Make kernel up to date make -n -f mfile # Tell what needs to be done DESCRIPTION
Make is a program that is normally used for developing large programs consisting of multiple files. It keeps track of which object files depend on which source and header files. When called, it does the minimum amount of recompilation to bring the target file up to date. The file dependencies are expected in makefile or Makefile , unless another file is specified with -f. Make has some default rules built in, for example, it knows how to make .s files from .c files. Here is a sample makefile . d=/user/ast # d is a macro program: head.s tail.s# program depends on these cc -o program head.s tail.s# tells how to make program echo Program done. # announce completion head.s: $d/def.h head.c # head.s depends on these tail.s: $d/var.h tail.c # tail.s depends on these A complete description of make would require too much space here. Many books on UNIX discuss make . Study the numerous Makefiles in the MINIX source tree for examples. SEE ALSO
cc(1). MAKE(1)