Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Getting Socket statistics
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Getting Socket statistics Post 302150597 by comp_wizard07 on Wednesday 12th of December 2007 12:13:31 AM
Old 12-12-2007
Getting Socket statistics

Is there any way to get the file descriptor statistics of a socket file descriptor? I know that the fstat, stat system calls are for this purpose, but I want to know it there any way to get socket connection statistics for a file descriptor(like socket flags, connection type etc).

Does /proc hold this information?

Please help...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Server Statistics ?

I'm trying to write a C program to view server statistics such as: - server general information - CPU usage - memory usage - running processes Cany anybody gives me hints on those system calls ?? ps: I'm using Tru64 unix (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Agent007
6 Replies

2. Programming

Socket Programming socket

Hello, I actually try to make client-server program. I'm using SCO OpenServer Release 5.0.0 and when I try to compile my code (by TELNET) I've got this error : I'm just using this simple code : and I get the same error if I use : If someone can help me, Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soshell
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

connect problem for sctp socket (ipv6 socket) - Runtime fail Invalid Arguments

Hi, I was porting ipv4 application to ipv6; i was done with TCP transports. Now i am facing problem with SCTp transport at runtime. To test SCTP transport I am using following server and client socket programs. Server program runs fine, but client program fails giving Invalid Arguments for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandrutiptur
0 Replies

4. Programming

which socket should socket option on be set

Hi all, On the server side, one socket is used for listening, the others are used for communicating with the client. My question is: if i want to set option for socket, which socket should be set on? If either can be set, what's the different? Again, what's the different if set option... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blademan100
1 Replies

5. AIX

Statistics Aix

Hello If there is a way to get a statistics from Aix box server from a month. cpu use, memory, disc use, etc. Maybe via smitty or I need to do a script. The os is Aix 5.3 Greetings (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
8 Replies

6. Programming

socket function to read a webpage (socket.h)

Why does this socket function only read the first 1440 chars of the stream. Why not the whole stream ? I checked it with gdm and valgrind and everything seems correct... #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/stat.h> #include <string.h> #include... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyler
3 Replies

7. Programming

Error with socket operation on non-socket

Dear Experts, i am compiling my code in suse 4.1 which is compiling fine, but at runtime it is showing me for socket programming error no 88 as i searched in errno.h it is telling me socket operation on non socket, what is the meaning of this , how to deal with this error , please... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vin_pll
1 Replies

8. IP Networking

Clarification - Setting socket options at the same time when socket is listening

I need clarification on whether it is okay to set socket options on a listening socket simultaneously when it is being used in an accept() call? Following is the scenario:- -- Task 1 - is executing in a loop - polling a listen socket, lets call it 'fd', (whose file descriptor is global)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jake24
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Anyone help to interpretate os statistics

Hi, Can anyone help me to explain following statistics of my unix box. /usr/sbin/swap -l swapfile dev swaplo blocks free /dev/dsk/c4 118,771 16 33560432 33319776 /dev/dsk/c4 118,763 16 33560432 33327184 /usr/sbin/swap -s total: 13429368k bytes allocated + 9830880k reserved =... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: giteshtrivedi
9 Replies
ACCEPT(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual							 ACCEPT(2)

NAME
accept -- accept a connection on a socket SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/socket.h> int accept(int socket, struct sockaddr *restrict address, socklen_t *restrict address_len); DESCRIPTION
The argument socket is a socket that has been created with socket(2), bound to an address with bind(2), and is listening for connections after a listen(2). accept() extracts the first connection request on the queue of pending connections, creates a new socket with the same properties of socket, and allocates a new file descriptor for the socket. If no pending connections are present on the queue, and the socket is not marked as non-blocking, accept() blocks the caller until a connection is present. If the socket is marked non-blocking and no pending connections are present on the queue, accept() returns an error as described below. The accepted socket may not be used to accept more con- nections. The original socket socket, remains open. The argument address is a result parameter that is filled in with the address of the connecting entity, as known to the communications layer. The exact format of the address parameter is determined by the domain in which the communication is occurring. The address_len is a value- result parameter; it should initially contain the amount of space pointed to by address; on return it will contain the actual length (in bytes) of the address returned. This call is used with connection-based socket types, currently with SOCK_STREAM. It is possible to select(2) a socket for the purposes of doing an accept() by selecting it for read. For certain protocols which require an explicit confirmation, such as ISO or DATAKIT, accept() can be thought of as merely dequeuing the next connection request and not implying confirmation. Confirmation can be implied by a normal read or write on the new file descriptor, and rejection can be implied by closing the new socket. One can obtain user connection request data without confirming the connection by issuing a recvmsg(2) call with an msg_iovlen of 0 and a non- zero msg_controllen, or by issuing a getsockopt(2) request. Similarly, one can provide user connection rejection information by issuing a sendmsg(2) call with providing only the control information, or by calling setsockopt(2). RETURN VALUES
The call returns -1 on error and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. If it succeeds, it returns a non-negative integer that is a descriptor for the accepted socket. ERRORS
The accept() system call will fail if: [EBADF] socket is not a valid file descriptor. [ECONNABORTED] The connection to socket has been aborted. [EFAULT] The address parameter is not in a writable part of the user address space. [EINTR] The accept() system call was terminated by a signal. [EINVAL] socket is unwilling to accept connections. [EMFILE] The per-process descriptor table is full. [ENFILE] The system file table is full. [ENOMEM] Insufficient memory was available to complete the operation. [ENOTSOCK] socket references a file type other than a socket. [EOPNOTSUPP] socket is not of type SOCK_STREAM and thus does not accept connections. [EWOULDBLOCK] socket is marked as non-blocking and no connections are present to be accepted. LEGACY SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/socket.h> The include file <sys/types.h> is necessary. SEE ALSO
bind(2), connect(2), connectx(2), listen(2), select(2), socket(2), compat(5) HISTORY
The accept() function appeared in 4.2BSD. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution March 18, 2015 4.2 Berkeley Distribution