Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Finding unique reocrds at a particular field Post 302150416 by dsravan on Tuesday 11th of December 2007 11:50:11 AM
Old 12-11-2007
Finding unique reocrds at a particular field

I have a pipe delimited flat file. I want to grep the records that are unique in the 4th field and repeat only once in the file

for e.g.. if the file contains this 3 records

Quote:
00000|05232|25G|LAS VEGAS|SAN DIEGO/LAS VEGAS
00000|05233|25G|LAS VEGAS|SAN DIEGO/LAS VEGAS
00000|11404|25G|UP STATE NY|UPSTATE NY
i want to get the o/p as:
Quote:
00000|11404|25G|UP STATE NY|UPSTATE NY
I just gave a sample here and the file is huge one and i cant just grep from the above example.

can some body let me know how i can do this?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding Unique strings which match pattern

I need to grep for a pattern in a file. Files are huge and have several repeated occurances of the strings which match pattern. I just need the strings which contain the pattern in the output. For eg. The contents of my file are as follows. The pattern I want to match by is ABCD ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tektips
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl sort unique by one field only

Hi all, I've searched the forum and I can find some code to sort uniquely in perl but not by a single field. I have a file with data such as the following: 1,test,34 1,test2,65 2,test,35, 1,test3,34 2,test,34 What i want to do is sort it uniqely by the first field only so I'd end... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Donkey25
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with finding unique string in log file

Shell script help Here is 3 sample lines from a log file <date> INFO <java.com.blah> abcd:ID= user login <date> DEBUG <java.com.blah> <nlah bla> abcd:ID=123 user login <date> INFO <java.com.blah> abcd:ID=3243 user login I want to find unique "ID" from this log... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gubbu
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding unique entries without sorting

Hi Guys, I have two files that I am using: File1 is as follows: wwe khfgv jfo jhgfd hoaha hao lkahe This is like a master file which has entries in the order which I want. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the number of unique words in a file

find the number of unique words in a file using sort com- mand. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhikamune
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unique Field

I have this input file tilenet_test:clar_r5_performance:server_2:4.80762:0%:APM00083103999-009E,APM00083103999-009F tilenet_int:clar_r5_performance:server_2:4.80762:0%:APM00083103999-00C4... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: greycells
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding unique values in a hash (Perl)

Hi, I have a hash with unique keys associated with some data. my %FINALcontigs = ( 'mira_rep_c765:119reads**', 'ctctactggaagactgac', 'mira_rep_c7454:54reads**', 'atggatactgcgctgttgctaactactgga', 'mira_rep_c6803:12reads**', 'atcgactggatgcagggttgtggtttcta', ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdilts
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a text in files & replacing it with unique strings

Hallo Everyone. I have to admit I'm shell scripting illiterate . I need to find certain strings in several text files and replace each of the string by unique & corresponding text. I prepared a csv file with 3 columns: <filename>;<old_pattern>;<new_pattern> ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gordom
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print unique text in field

I am trying to use awk to print the unique entries in $2 So in the example below there are 3 lines but 2 of the lines match in $2 so only one is used in the output. File.txt chr17:29667512-29667673 NF1:exon.1;NF1:exon.2;NF1:exon.38;NF1:exon.4;NF1:exon.46;NF1:exon.47 703.807... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count of unique lines in field 4

When I use the below awk to count the unique lines in $4 for the input it seems to work. The answer is 3 because $4 is only unique 3 times in all the entries. However, when I use the same on actual data I get 56,536 and I know the answer should be 56,548. My question is there a better way to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
8 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)