Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how ./example.sh differs from . /example.sh and ./ example.sh Post 302150411 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 11th of December 2007 11:30:50 AM
Old 12-11-2007
The first one is correct if example.sh is in the current working directory.

The second one is correct if example.sh is in the root directory which is named /
AND you want to source the script (not run in a subshell) dot space scriptname:
Code:
.  myscript.sh

is called sourcing a script

The third one is completely wrong in anyway I can think of.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

gcc output size differs on same version of solaris

Hello everybody, I am having two machines. I am using g++v2.95 When I do the build,the size of output file on both machines differ. I am not able to find what can be the problem. Both the machines are solaris 5.6 The command is : g++ -c -g -I./ -I../../../include -I/usr/local/include/g++-3... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manishs13
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

print the first 5 lines in which 2 files differs

it is a simple problem, but I am totally new to shell programming There are 2 files. I have to print the 5 five lines which are different. I appreciate any help. 10x. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: atticus
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

pid differs

I always find that the pid I get from: /var/run/syslog-ng.pid and ps -ef |grep syslog-ng are different. this also happens on other pids. why? If I am going to kill a process, which pid should I use? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fredao
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp. copy if size differs

Hi. On my system there is a script which making backup to ftp site. But it leaves copy of files on local machine. Then i go to Midnight Commander and check manually with MC features - i open ftp directory and copy files <if size differs>. So, how can i do the last thing in shell or other... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kukuruku
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script execution differs in cron

I have the following script (MyScript): #!/bin/sh ps U erv | grep -v grep | grep -F "/usr/bin/collect -o 101" echo "Result: $?" When executed from the command line, I get ... (the line containing /usr/bin/collect -o 101) Result: 0 (which is correct since collect is running) When I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost_neko
4 Replies

6. Programming

how abstract class differs in Java and C++?

hello all, i want to know if there is any difference in working and syntax declaration of abstract class in Java and C++. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: haravivar
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

PPID differs in script and prompt

I tried several times to get answer to the below problem. Someone can please help me? $ cat p1.sh #!/bin/sh `./c1.sh &` while # indefinite loop do x=5; done $ cat c1.sh # sleep for 10 sec and exit #!/bin/sh sleep 10; Execute P1 as ./p1 & $ ps -eaf | grep c1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alexalex1
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output of echo $$ differs in Script than console

Hi All, I have a very basic query for 'echo $$' command. When I am executing echo $$ on console then it is giving different output than the execution of echo $$ in a script. Console Output: ------------------------- bash-3.2$ echo $$ 15610 bash-3.2$ In Script:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishdivs
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output differs when run manually and when cron job executes it

I get a different output when i manually run the .sh script and when it is run by a cron job. Please help me .. TMP1="/lhome/bbuser/script/wslog/sar.t1" TMP2="/lhome/bbuser/script/wslog/sar.t2" TMP3="/lhome/bbuser/script/wslog/sar.t3" OUTPUT="/lhome/bbuser/script/wslog/sar.out"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nithinankam
8 Replies
suspend(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)