Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Best practice to run bash script in background Post 302150215 by Smiling Dragon on Monday 10th of December 2007 03:57:21 PM
Old 12-10-2007
There's no real difference. The first approach will work even if you have a different shell selected at the top of the script or have not set execute permissions on test.sh.

The second approach will use whatever shell is in the #! path and will only run if the execute bit is set.

Which approach to use depends on your environment and needs.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to run script at background

Hi all, I have a script like: echo Please input list file name: read listn for file in `cat $listn.txt` do send_file $file done normally, I will run the script like: :. resendfile Please input list filename: list1 #Then, the script will resend all file from the list1. However,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyv
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

set schedule to run a script at background while logout

Hi, How can I run a script at 9:00am and 6:00pm everyday? Can I run it at background while I logout my account? Please help!! Many Thanks!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: happyv
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there away to run script in background within the script

Hello all i have csh script called test.csh , and i need to run it in the background so i do : test.csh & but i wander can i tell within the script source to run it in the background automatically , without giving the user to add the "&" when executing in the shell ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to make your bash script run on a machine with csh and bash

hi, i have a script that runs on bash and would like to run it on a machine that has csh and bash. the default setting on that machine is csh. i dont want to change my code to run it with a csh shell. is there any way i can run the script (written in bash) on this machine? in other words is there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run script in the background with a time interval

I have a script I want to run in the background, and I have looked it up but I am not exactly sure how to do. First of all to run it in the background do you have to put something in the script or is it just a command when you go to run it. I found this solution to it but once again I am not to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mauler123
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script does not work if run in background

Dear All, I am trying to run a script in background like ./scriptname.sh & but when i try to run it in background it is giving me an error "syntax error at line 12: `(' unexpected" at the line 12, there is a function definition "function getFileList()". This script runs fine if i run on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bilalghazi
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to run the script in background, but having a problem

hi, we have a script which runs for the whole day and whenever the job fails, will send an alert to the mailbox. My problem here is that i need to give the jobname dynamically which is not possible if we run the script in background. Pls help me with this. Thanks Ajay (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayakunuri
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run command in background thru script

Dear All, Writing a script in which I want to run a command in background and keep it running even script is finished. I have tried like below, `truss -p <pid> >> & /tmp/log &` But doesnt work.. script goes running and nothing in log file. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deei
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Help] Bash script that runs in the background and checks for mails...

Hello! I have got a homework. The bash script runs in the background and checks the user's mailbox and when the user gets a new mail a popup window appears with some text and information about the sender (from who and when).I have no idea how to start, any help would be appreciated! Thank you:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: capo2ndfret
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to run a shell script in background without showing in the terminal?

Hi Guys, i am having a script which checks for ip address is pingable or not,when i execute this script in terminal it keeps on showing the pinging status of every ip address and it takes more time when i check for 100 ip address,How to do run a script in background without showing in the terminal... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meeran Rizvi
4 Replies
nohup(1)						      General Commands Manual							  nohup(1)

NAME
nohup - Runs a utility ignoring hangups and quits SYNOPSIS
nohup utility [argument...] Note The C shell has a built-in version of the nohup command. If you are using the C shell, and want to guarantee that you are using the com- mand described here, you must specify the full path /usr/bin/nohup. See the csh(1) reference page for a description of the built-in com- mand. STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: nohup: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
None OPERANDS
The name of a command to be invoked. Optional arguments required by the utility specified for invokation. DESCRIPTION
The nohup command runs utility, ignoring all hangups and QUIT signals. You can use this command to run programs in the background after logging off the system. To run a nohup command in the background, add an & (ampersand) to the end of the command. If nohup output is redirected to a terminal or is not redirected at all, the output is appended to the file nohup.out. If the file is cre- ated, the permission bits are set to Owner Read and Owner Write(600). If nohup.out is not writable in the current directory, the output is redirected to $HOME/nohup.out. If neither file can be created nor opened for appending, utility is not invoked. If standard error is a terminal, all output written to standard error is appended to the file receiving standard output. The nohup command accepts just one utility as an argument. To apply nohup to a pipeline or list of commands, enter the pipeline or list in a shell script file. Then run sh as utility using the following format: nohup sh -c file [Tru64 UNIX] You can also assign the shell file execute permission and run it as the utility in the form: nohup file NOTES
The term utility, rather than the term command, describes the argument to nohup because shell compound commands, pipelines, special built- in programs, and the like, cannot be handled directly. In addition, the term utility includes user application programs and shell scripts, not just the standard utilities. EXIT STATUS
The nohup command returns the following exit values: The specified utility was found, but could not be invoked. The error occurred in the nohup utility or the specified utility could not be found. The exit status is otherwise that of the utility. EXAMPLES
To leave a command running after logging out (sh only), enter: nohup find / -print & Shortly after you enter this, the following is displayed: 670 $ Sending output to nohup.out The process ID number changes to the background process started by the & (ampersand), in this case, 670. The $ (dollar sign) is the shell prompt. The message following informs you that the output from the find command is in the file nohup.out. Sending output... You can log out after you see these messages, even if the find command has not finished yet. If you are using csh, the built-in command nohup is executed instead of the system command. To execute the nohup system command, you must enter an absolute path. To do the same, but redirect the standard output to a different file, enter: nohup find / -print >filenames & This runs the find command and stores its output in a file named filenames. Now only the process ID and prompt are displayed. Wait for a second or two before logging out, because the nohup command takes a moment to start the command you specified. If you log out too quickly, utility may not run at all. Once utility has started, logging out does not affect it. To run more than one com- mand, use a shell script. For example, if you include the following shell script: comm -23 fi4 fi5 | comm -23 - fi6 | join -a1 - fi7 > comm.out and name it ncomm, you can run nohup for all of the commands in ncomm by entering: nohup sh ncomm If you assign ncomm Execute permission, you can obtain the same results by issuing the command: nohup ncomm To run this command in the background, enter: nohup ncomm & ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of nohup: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale for the for- mat and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. Determines the search path that will be used to locate the command to be invoked. FILES
Standard output and standard error file for nohup. SEE ALSO
Commands: csh(1), ksh(1), nice(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p) Functions: sigaction(2) Standards: standards(5) nohup(1)