Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Hex editing
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Hex editing Post 302149790 by jim mcnamara on Friday 7th of December 2007 02:32:44 PM
Old 12-07-2007
From the top
0A = newline character which is expected in unix text files
0D0A = DOS or windows textfile cr/lf

Changing the cr/lf to 20 is the same as joining the line beneath the cr/lf line to the cr/lf line. Is that what you really want: appending lines?

dos2ux (or dos2unix) is a utility that will get rid of DOS carriage return/linefeed characters and make them standard newlines.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ascii To Hex

How will I display on screen a UNIX ascii file with its HEX equivalent. I want to check whether 0D 0A is coming at the end of the file which I am generating from UNIX. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: augustinep
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Modifying binary file by editing Hex values ?

Hi , i'm using special binary file (lotus notes) and modifying an hexadecimal address range with windows hex editor and it works fine ! The file is an AIX one and i'm forced to transfert (ftp) it before modifying it and re-transfert ! NOW i would do this directly under AIX ! I can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nicol
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for a hex character?

Hi guys , i would want to count the concurrences of the 0A hex char in a text file , then if no matches i need to add a 0A at the end of the line. Any ideas? thx.Regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Klashxx
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hex Conversion

I need to have my scripts import volume groups and mknod devices files. I have most of the script working but the device file needs to be in the format 0x??0000 (where the question marks are my HEX representations of the volume group number. I have the code below and the output it produces which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: insania
2 Replies

5. Programming

After converting the hexstr to Hex and storing the Hex in a char*

Hi All, My main intension of is to convert the Hexstring stored in a char* into hex and then prefixing it with "0x" and suffix it with ',' This has to be done for all the hexstring char* is NULL. Store the result prefixed with "0x" and suffixed with ',' in another char* and pass it to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rvan
1 Replies

6. Programming

ascii to hex

Hello guys, i want to convert a text file to hex and have written this code : int main(int argc, char **argv) { ifstream file; string fileName = "CODEZ"; file.open(fileName.c_str()); // oeffen im Text-Modus if(file) {... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kingbruce
5 Replies

7. Programming

What is the difference between ios::hex and std::hex?

Hi, Is there really a difference between these two, std::hex and ios::hex?? I stumbled upon reading a line, "std::ios::hex is a bitmask (8 on gcc) and works with setf(). std::hex is the operator". Is this true? Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to specify a FS as HEX value in AWK

Hi All, I have one input file seperated with Hex decimal B1 value. And i want to process this file. And iam creating an awk script to process this file. How can I specify the Field seperator as HEX B1 in my awk. Please help. Thanks in advance.:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: psk_kumar
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace with "sed" some hex values by other hex values?

Assume I have a file \usr\home\\somedir\myfile123.txt and I want to replace all occurencies of the two (concatenated) hex values x'AD' x'A0' bytwo other (concatenated) hex values x'20' x'6E' How can I achieve this with the gnu sed tool? Additional question: Is there a way to let sed show... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pstein
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert vi editing to text editing

Dear Guru's I'm using Putty and want to edit a file. I know we generally use vi editor to do it. As I'm not good in using vi editor, I want to convert the vi into something like text pad. Is there any option in Putty to do the same ? Thanks for your response. Srini (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thummi9090
6 Replies
dosif(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							  dosif(4)

NAME
DOSIF - DOS interchange format DESCRIPTION
The DOS Interchange Format (DOSIF) is the name given to the media format used by the DOS operating system. This format is based upon that used in IBM PC and PC AT and HP Vectra systems. Use the and commands to convert files between HP-UX and DOS file formats; see dos2ux(1). Use these utilities to retrieve information from a DOSIF volume. The dos*(1) utilities are the only HP-UX commands that can interact directly with the contents of a DOSIF volume. The only other way to interact with the contents of a DOSIF volume is to use an HP-UX DOS emulation or coprocessor facility such as SoftPC or the DOS Coproces- sor. The command cannot be used on a DOSIF volume because the operating system does not recognize it (see mount(1M)). When constructing file names for the dos*(1) commands, start with the HP-UX path name of the DOSIF volume, then add a colon followed by the file name: or This file naming convention is suitable for use only in arguments of the dos*(1) utilities. It does not constitute a legal path name for any other use in HP-UX applications. Metacharacters and can be used when specifying both HP-UX and DOS file names. These must be quoted when specifying a DOS file name, because file name expansion is performed by the DOS utilities, not by the shell. The dos*(1) utilities expand file names as described in regexp(5) in the section. By convention, if the HP-UX device name and a trailing colon are specified, but no file or directory name is provided (for example, the root of the DOS file system is assumed. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Specify DOSIF file accessed through HP-UX special file Example 2 Specify DOSIF file accessed through the DOS volume stored as HP-UX file SEE ALSO
dos2ux(1). dosif(4)