Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ls - maximum number of files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers ls - maximum number of files Post 302149780 by Perderabo on Friday 7th of December 2007 11:16:32 AM
Old 12-07-2007
ls -f
should be able to handle any size of directory. The other forms of ls try to read the entire directory into virtual memory for sorting and can bump into the max size for a data segment.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Maximum number of threads per user

Anybody knows how to setup Maximum number of threads per user or some other value on Sun Solaris 8. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: s_aamir
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum number of users allowed

How do i determen (what command) the max. number of users allowed Thanks in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: siza
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

maximum number of input on solaris

Hi, Can anyone tell me what the maximum amount of input characters is on solaris command line? (standard ksh I think) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marcello
1 Replies

4. Programming

maximum number of dots in a domain name

maximum number of dots in a domain name - not a sub-domain name. for example: mydomain.com ------ one dot mydomain.com.au ------ two dots do you know maximum number of dots in a domain name and could you provide a sample? thx. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hello20009876
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Maximum Number of threads suuported????

Hi, Anybody knows the maximum number of threads suuported by a process in solaris os. Please reply Thanks in advance :( (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Agnello
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

maximum number of arguments

Hi, What is the maximum number of arguments that could be passed to zsh ? To find out that I tried a simple script. And the maximum number of arguments that could be passed turned out to be 23394 #! /bin/zsh arg=1 i=1 subIndex=23000 while do arg=$arg" "$i i=$(($i + 1))... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maximum number of characters in a line.

Hi, Could any one please let me know what is the maximum number of characters that will fit into a single line of a flat file on a unix. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shivdatta
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum number of sed squeezing

Hi all, What is the maximum number of sed squeezing in one shell?? I've surprised with this message when I squeezed 50 sed in the same shell: 253: Identifier too long - maximum length is 18.This is what I've did in my sed query | sed -e "s/ 0 /Default /" | sed -e "s/ 1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: leo_ultra_leo
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum number of data in Python

Hi all, I would like to save my output data in two columns. I tried print(x,y) but have two problems: 1. There are ~10000 values for each x and y, but the intermediates are omitted; 2. I'd like to list data in two columns instead of two arrays (BTW, it's fine as I can format it using other... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sxiong
3 Replies
lvmadm(1M)																lvmadm(1M)

NAME
lvmadm - display limits associated with a volume group version SYNOPSIS
vg_vers] DESCRIPTION
The command is used to perform the actions below: o Display the limits associated with a volume group version. o Display the LVM configuration that is contained in and files for the indicated volume group version. o Update the entries of the bootable volume group and the boot information present in the boot disk either during or after boot. With the boot disk's physical location changing prior to reboot or when the system is booted with a cloned disk, the entries of the bootable volume group and the boot information present in the boot disk may be out of sync with the kernel. In such a situation, follow- ing root volume group activation (either during boot or post boot) use the command in migrate mode option) to update the information present in the file and the boot information present in the boot disk with the kernel. See lvm(7) for more details. Options and Arguments recognizes the following options: Display a table of limits for the indicated volume group version. Display limits or configuration for volume group version vg_vers. The default is to display limits for all supported volume group versions. Display the LVM configuration that is contained in the and files. Produce a compact listing of fields described in The output is a list of colon separated fields formatted as: Update the information present in the file for the bootable volume group and the boot information present in the boot disk, with the information present in the kernel, if there is any mismatch. Display With -t Option For each volume group version to be displayed (one if is specified, all if is omitted) displays the following. VG Version The volume group version. Max VG Size (Tbytes) The maximum size of a volume group in terabytes. Max LV Size (Tbytes) The maximum size of a logical volume in terabytes. Max PV Size (Tbytes) The maximum size of a physical volume in terabytes. Max VGs The maximum number of volume groups this volume group version supports on a system. Max LVs The maximum number of logical volumes in a volume group. Max PVs The maximum number of physical volumes in a volume group. Max Mirrors The maximum number of mirrors for a logical volume. Max Stripes The maximum number of stripes for a logical volume. Max Stripe Size (Kbytes) The maximum stripe size for a logical volume in kilobytes. Max LXs per LV The maximum number of extents in a logical volume. Max PXs per PV The maximum number of extents in a physical volume. Max Ext Size (Mbytes) The maximum size of an extent in megabytes. Display with -l Option For each volume group version to be displayed (one if is specified, all if is omitted) displays the following: o The list of volume groups that exist on the system, and o The list of physical volumes belonging to each of the volume groups. The LVM configuration displayed by this option is from data contained in the and files. The command fails if these files are missing or corrupt. Compact Listing (-F Option) The option generates a compact and parsable listing of the command output in colon separated fields formatted as The option is designed to be used by scripts. The resulting command output may be split across multiple lines. The output may include new keys and/or values in the future. If a key is deprecated, its associated value is set to Compact Listing for -t option Below is a sample output: Compact Listing for -l option Below is a sample output: EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the language in which messages are displayed. If is not specified or is null, it defaults to "C" (see lang(5)). If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, all internationalization variables default to "C" (see environ(5)). EXAMPLES
Display a table of limits for volume group version 2.0. Display the LVM configuration file contents for volume group version 1.0. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
vgcreate(1M), lvm(7). lvmadm(1M)