Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ftp append question
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications ftp append question Post 302148968 by sysgate on Tuesday 4th of December 2007 11:27:51 AM
Old 12-04-2007
from "man ftp" :
Quote:
append local-file [remote-file]
Append a local file to a file on the remote machine. If remote-
file is left unspecified, the local file name is used in naming
the remote file after being altered by any ntrans or nmap set-
ting. File transfer uses the current settings for type, format,
mode, and structure.
Note : this "append" command may differ in your version of unix, so check the man page first.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP question

Hi all, I have a simple script that runs each night and transfers a number of files to a remote server. Before files are transferred existing files on the remote box are deleted. All works OK except the deletion part on the remote box returning no such file or directory. As work around Ihave... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tzp2ft
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FTP Question

Hi, I'm attempting to FTP several files using MGET. My problem is that I need to cd to a directory with this naming convention: YYMMDDHHMM - where the hour and minute is unknown When I issue cd /ftpdirectory/YYMMDD* from FTP, I receive "No such file or directory I need a way to get the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kdreaves
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP Question

How do I setup a parameter driven executable script which FTP's a file (input as a parameter) in Unix (AIX) to my desktop (Windows) ? For example I would ideally like to do this - Unix Prompt> FtpFetch abc.log and get this abc.log on my desktop. Thanks to anyone that can help! I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kapjag
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

append question

I have a .pl script that is grabbing information and creating two different .txt files, I need to append one to the other. open GARPFILE; open GARPFILEXX; cat $gGarpFileXx >> $gGarpFile; close GARPFILE; close GARPFILEXX; but I'm getting this: Useless use... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mr_evans2u
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP Question

I'm basically trying to FTP a file to a differnt node, first putting the FTP commmands into a text file and then piping the commands file into the ftp command as follows.... echo "user $USERNAME $PASSWORD" > ftp_cmds echo "put $SQLOUT /users/$USERNAME/$SQLOUT" >> ftp_cmds echo "quit" >>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: djkane
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: simple question on string append

I want to append a decimal number to a string. But I want to restrict the number to only 2 decimal points for e.g: my $output = "\n The number is = "; my $number = 2.3333333; $output = $output . $number; But I want the $output as: "The number is = 2.33"; and not 2.3333333 (I do not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: the_learner
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ftp append

What is the syntax for an ftp that is appending to the target file? I understand to use the append command, but how do you tell it which source file to append to which target file. ftpEngine() { ftp -inv ${FTP_SERVER} << EOF_FTP >> ${FTP_LOG} user ${FTP_USER} ${FTP_PSWD} cd ${FTP_DIR1}... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brdholman
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

append date time stamp via ftp script

I have searched several thread and not found my solution, so I am posting a new qustion. I have a very simple script on an AIX server that FTPs 2 files to a MS FTP server. These 2 files are created on the AIX server every hour, with a static name. I need to FTP the files to the MS server, but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sknisely
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

question about append columns

I like to do the following, please help! Thanks a lot for f in seq(f1 f2 f3 g1 h1 t2) do cut -d "+" -f2 $f > $f.nums paste ? # each loop will attach additional column to the created file $f.nums, how to do this??? done (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ksgreen
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ftp with bash, append file where left off

I'm working on a bash script to finish uploading a file. I need a way to get $filesize so that "restart $filesize" will work. Here is my script: ftp -n -v <<END_SCRIPT open ftp.$domain user $user@$domain $password size $file restart $filesize put $file quit END_SCRIPTWayne Sallee... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: WayneSallee
9 Replies
tftp(1c)																  tftp(1c)

Name
       tftp - trivial file transfer program

Syntax
       tftp [host] [port]

Description
       The  command  provides  the  user interface to the Internet standard Trivial File Transfer Protocol.  The program allows a user to transfer
       files to and from a remote network site.  The remote host can be specified on the command line.	If you specify the remote host on the com-
       mand line uses host as the default host for future transfers.

If  a  port is specified, uses that port number instead of the standard service port.  When the user invokes the program enters its command
       interpreter and awaits instructions.  The prompt tftp> is displayed on the screen.

The following commands are recognized by

?		   Displays a help message that gives a brief summary of the commands.

ascii		   Specifies mode ascii.

binary		   Specifies mode binary.

connect host-name [ port ]
			   Sets the host and, optionally, sets port for transfers.  Note that the TFTP	protocol  does	not  maintain  connections
			   between transfers.  Because merely remembers what host should be used for transfers instead of actually creating a con-
			   nection, it is not necessary to use the command.  The remote host can be specified as part of the or commands.

get remote-file... [ local-file ]
			   Gets a file or set of files from the specified sources.  If the host has already been specified, the source can  be	in
			   the	form of a filename on the remote host.	If the host has not been specified, the source can be a string of the form
			   host:file, specifying both a host and filename at the same time.  If the latter form is used, the last hostname entered
			   becomes the default for future transfers.

mode		   Sets the file transfer type to network ASCII or binary.  The default type is network ASCII.

put local-file... [ remote-file/directory ]
			   Puts  a file or set of files to the specified remote file or directory.  If the remote host has already been specified,
			   the destination can be a filename on it.  If the remote host has not been specified, the destination can be a string of
			   the	form  host:filename,  specifying  both a host and filename at the same time.  If the latter form is used, the last
			   hostname entered becomes the default for future transfers.  If the remote-directory form is used, the  remote  host	is
			   assumed to be a UNIX machine.

quit		   Exits the program.

rexmt		   Sets the retransmit timer.

status		   Shows what believes to be the current connection status.

timeout		   Set the transaction timeout.

trace		   Sets the packet trace flag.

verbose		   Sets the verbose mode flag.

Restrictions
       Since the TFTP protocol does not support any authentication, files must be world read (writable) on the remote system.

Because	there  is  no user-login validation within the TFTP protocol, the remote site should have some sort of file access restrictions in
       place.  The exact methods are specific to each site.

tftp(1c)