Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cutting a tab delimiter file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cutting a tab delimiter file Post 302148251 by devjxh on Friday 30th of November 2007 11:33:39 AM
Old 11-30-2007
Thread IT Resource Center forums - Remove columns in file asks almots an identical question.

Responses available with both perl and awk

# awk -F'\t' 'NR>1 {for(i=1;i<=20;++i) printf(i<20?"%s\t":"%s\n",$i)}' ofile

# perl -nle 'print if $.==1;@a=split;print join "\t", @a[0..19] file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cutting columns if delimiter has more than one charecter

Hi, My file looks like abc$%sdfhs$%sdf$%sdfaf$% here as seen delimiter is $%...now how cas i take out second field as cut command expect delimiter as single charecter only.....is there is any other way thanks and regards mahabunta (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahabunta
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cutting a portion of a line seperated by pipe delimiter

Hi, In the below line a|b|10065353|tefe|rhraqs|135364|5347575 dgd|rg|4333|fhra|grhrt|46423|urdsgd Here i want to cut the characters in between the second and third pipe delimiter and then between fifth and sixth delimiter and retain the rest of the line. My output should be ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragavhere
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

append data in a file by using tab delimiter

Hi, I need to append the data in to a file by using tab delimiter. eg: echo "Data1" >> filename.txt echo "\t" >> filename.txt (its not working) echo "Data2" >> filename.txt. the result sould be like this. Data1 Data2 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sharmila_P
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delimiter: Tab or Space?

Hello, Is there a direct command to check if the delimiter in your file is a tab or a space? And how can they be converted from one to another. Thanks, G (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cutting columns if delimiter has more than one charecter (|^)

Hi All, I am having a file with the delimiter '|^'. File name:test_dlim.csv I want to cut the first field of this using awk command. I tried with the help of the following link:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: boopathyvasagam
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting a part of line till delimiter

here are the few scenarios... isoSizeKB text NOT NULL, reserved1 varchar(255), KEY `deviceId` (`deviceId`) `d5` varchar(255) COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci DEFAULT NULL, `dHead` enum('HistoryInfo','Diversion') COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci, `ePR` int(11) DEFAULT '0', PRIMARY KEY (`id`) ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Making a Tab delimiter file to Comma

How can i make a tab delimiter file to a comma delimiter??? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: saggiboy10
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two tab-delimiter files

Hi, I have two files like: file1 chr1 40 chr1 50 chr2 10 chr2 60 file2 chr1 30 chr1 50 chr2 15 chr2 20 and want to get the difference of column 2 when column 1 is the same in both files. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: linseyr
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting a string using more than one character as delimiter

Hi , I have a set of files in a folder which i need to cut in to two parts.... Sample files touch AE_JUNFOR_2014_MTD_2013-05-30-03-30-02.TXT touch AE_JUNFOR_2014_YTD_2013-05-30-03-30-02.TXT touch temp_AE_JUNFOR_2014_MTD_2013-05-30-03-30-02.TXT touch... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chillblue
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting values with delimiter

Hi All, I have a string with , delimiter america,finland,netherlands Now i want these values to be stored in file as below with newline character at end of each value america finland netherlands Regards Prasad (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna_gnv
3 Replies
cut(1)								   User Commands							    cut(1)

NAME
cut - cut out selected fields of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
cut -b list [-n] [file...] cut -c list [file...] cut -f list [-d delim] [-s] [file...] DESCRIPTION
Use the cut utility to cut out columns from a table or fields from each line of a file; in data base parlance, it implements the projection of a relation. The fields as specified by list can be fixed length, that is, character positions as on a punched card (-c option) or the length can vary from line to line and be marked with a field delimiter character like <TAB> (-f option). cut can be used as a filter. Either the -b, -c, or -f option must be specified. Use grep(1) to make horizontal ``cuts'' (by context) through a file, or paste(1) to put files together column-wise (that is, horizontally). To reorder columns in a table, use cut and paste. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: list A comma-separated or blank-character-separated list of integer field numbers (in increasing order), with optional - to indicate ranges (for instance, 1,4,7; 1-3,8; -5,10 (short for 1-5,10); or 3- (short for third through last field)). -b list The list following -b specifies byte positions (for instance, -b1-72 would pass the first 72 bytes of each line). When -b and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -c list The list following -c specifies character positions (for instance, -c1-72 would pass the first 72 characters of each line). -d delim The character following -d is the field delimiter (-f option only). Default is tab. Space or other characters with special meaning to the shell must be quoted. delim can be a multi-byte character. -f list The list following -f is a list of fields assumed to be separated in the file by a delimiter character (see -d ); for instance, -f1,7 copies the first and seventh field only. Lines with no field delimiters will be passed through intact (use- ful for table subheadings), unless -s is specified. -n Do not split characters. When -b list and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -s Suppresses lines with no delimiter characters in case of -f option. Unless specified, lines with no delimiters will be passed through untouched. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file A path name of an input file. If no file operands are specified, or if a file operand is -, the standard input will be used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of cut when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte (2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Mapping user IDs A mapping of user IDs to names follows: example% cut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd Example 2: Setting current login name To set name to current login name: example$ name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d' '` ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of cut: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were output successfully. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
grep(1), paste(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) DIAGNOSTICS
cut: -n may only be used with -b cut: -d may only be used with -f cut: -s may only be used with -f cut: cannot open <file> Either file cannot be read or does not exist. If multiple files are present, processing continues. cut: no delimiter specified Missing delim on -d option. cut: invalid delimiter cut: no list specified Missing list on -b, -c, or -f option. cut: invalid range specifier cut: too many ranges specified cut: range must be increasing cut: invalid character in range cut: internal error processing input cut: invalid multibyte character cut: unable to allocate enough memory SunOS 5.10 29 Apr 1999 cut(1)