Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Port Linux Driver to Unix
Operating Systems Linux Port Linux Driver to Unix Post 302148000 by ghost1 on Thursday 29th of November 2007 11:24:53 AM
Old 11-29-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by idle
1. The OS-X kernel is based on NetBSD.

2. Is this for an Intel Mac or a PowerPC Mac?

3. Could you explain what "the modem/printer port of the usb side in unix" means?

4. Do you have the source code for the Linux version, or just the binary driver?

5. Are you allowed to port their Intellectual Property to another OS? Will they own it if you do?

6. Have you ever done any programming? Writing a device driver is not something I'd recommend as a first project.
First off, Thanks for the help.

This is a intel based computer and the device i'm trying to control is a added peripheral on a Elo Touch Monitor. The POS System i'm using is asking for either a modem or Printer Port for the pole display. Which would be this device i'm trying to connect.

I've was on the phone yesterday with the company trying to get the source code but they can't release soft code out to customers. So all i really have is the Linux installers and data that came with it.

I told them i would give them the driver when i was done porting it for unix but after hearing a few chinese words from them they still wouldn't give me the soft code. So I'm guessing they don't care. I just need it for my two POS System. After I'm complete i will e-mail it to them, if they want it, they can have it.

I have never done any programming but i'm a quick learner and i have xcode i'm my side along with x11.Smilie

-ghost

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

modem driver for linux

how to get modem driver for linux on intel netvista a22p model?please help.Thanks.:( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xinubhaskar
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Book for Linux Basics and Linux device driver.

hai friend, I am new to Linux, i need a book for Linux basic and Linux device driver .. plz send the book name and author(Easy to learn and mostly used by programmers) and also send the link if it is available in Net... Thank you. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sundar.lsr
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with porting a linux SNC driver to OSX

Hi guys! I'm a regular joe, so this thread might be in the wrong section and if I appear dumb it mostly because I am..and have lack of knowledge about the unix world. :) Please move the tread if needed. To the problem. We are allot of people in the OSx86 community that need a linux driver... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Blackshore
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Porting a Linux Driver to Solaris

Hi all, Has anyone experience with proting a Linux driver (C-code) to Solaris 10? I have a Sunix SATA card with a inicio1622 chipset, but no driver available. From the website of inicio I downloaded the drivercode for Linux 2.4. Having done some investigation I found a Solaris driver... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: longwave
4 Replies

5. Ubuntu

driver for external drive case on usb port

Hi I have to buy my selfe external case for hdd but I don't know whether my ubuntu linux, needs some driver to be able to work with this device or it has inside of itselfe this driver ? rhx for help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: presul
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux driver installation and so on.

I find Linux drivers to be the most elusive topic that there is and have enough questions about them that could fill a guide or tutorial if there was one. From what I can gather drivers are installed by one of three ways. 1- Recompile the kernel to include a driver that is included in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: theKbStockpiler
2 Replies

7. Hardware

Difference between platform driver,codec driver and Machine driver

In general terms what are the differences platform driver,codec driver and Machine driver? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
1 Replies

8. Hardware

ATI Radeon HD 7450 DP Linux driver

I'm looking for Linux driver for ATI Radeon HD 7450 graphics card. The OS I'm using is RHEL5.7 server. The desktop is HP compaq elite 8300 SFF. Couldn't find it in hp.com support website. Downloaded AMD Catalyst 13.1 Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver (file size is 109MB) from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joker_789us
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Linux ODBC driver issue

Hi Gurus, I have a odbc in Linux. when I run command ldd. I got following result: # ldd DWora26.so linux-vdso.so.1 => (0x00007fff26355000) libpthread.so.0 => /lib64/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007fc31e70a000) librt.so.1 => /lib64/librt.so.1 (0x00007fc31e501000) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ken6503
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Graphics Driver Support in Linux

It's not exactly a question and more of a discussion. I found very less graphics application being developed for linux system. I'm not really fond of graphics programming and have a very little knowledge about it. Can any one suggest me that whether linux lack in ghraphics support? or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kg_gaurav
2 Replies
UMODEM(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						 UMODEM(4)

NAME
umodem -- USB modem support SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file: device umodem device ucom Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): umodem_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The umodem driver provides support for USB modems in the Communication Device Class using the Abstract Control Model. These modems are basi- cally standard serial line modems, but they are accessed via USB instead. They support a regular AT command set. The commands can either be multiplexed with the data stream or handled through separate pipes. In the latter case the AT commands have to be given on a device separate from the data device. The device is accessed through the ucom(4) driver which makes it behave like a tty(4). HARDWARE
Devices supported by the umodem driver include: o 3Com 5605 o Curitel PC5740 Wireless Modem o Kyocera AH-K3001V Mobile Phone(WILLCOM) o Kyocera WX320K Mobile Phone(WILLCOM) o Metricom Ricochet GS USB wireless modem o Sierra MC5720 Wireless Modem o Yamaha Broadband Wireless Router RTW65b o ELSA MicroLink 56k USB modem o Sony Ericsson W810i phone SEE ALSO
tty(4), ucom(4), usb(4) HISTORY
The umodem driver appeared in NetBSD 1.5. This manual page was adopted from NetBSD by Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org> in April 2002. BUGS
Only modems with multiplexed commands and data are supported at the moment. BSD
November 22, 2006 BSD