Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users how to erase files from a tape used previously on Windows operating system Post 302147979 by drl on Thursday 29th of November 2007 09:39:26 AM
Old 11-29-2007
Hi.

I would move the drive to a different computer and try it there. I would acquire / buy / borrow a tape that is supposed to work on that drive and verify that the drive is OK and that such tapes are readable. I have 2 DDS drives, the older one cannot handle all the tapes that the newer one can, as Perderabo mentioned ... cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Operating System

Can anyone give me info on networking features of the Unix Operating System please. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: WaveZero
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Operating System

Which is much more powerful as an operating system: 1. Windows 2000 2. Windows 98 3. Windows XP 4. Windows ME 5. Unix 6. Linux and why is it much more powerful than the other operating systems that i have mentioned. thanks for your info... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alecks1975
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

installing Windows over UNIX operating system

Hello All I don't know much about UNIX operating system and in need of help. I am trying to install Windows Operating System on a desktop that already has UNIX. When you start the system it immediately takes me to a GRUB prompt. I tried putting in the installation disk before starting the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockbold
4 Replies

4. AIX

Can I install AIX operating system on a PC that is running windows 7?

Hi All, I was wondering if I can install AIX 6.1 on my D harddrive and have Windows 7 on my C harddrive. If so, can anybody help me with the installation of AIX? I am totally new to AIX and don't know how to install it. Tried getting info from google on how to install AIX but couldn't... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AIX_Beginner
2 Replies

5. AIX

Erase AIX rootvg system disk

Hello all, I need help for erasing IBM P5 machine running AIX 5.3. I have 2 system disks (Hardware mirror) and i'm looking for a way like a LIVE CD bootable CD so I can boot with the cd and then format the system disks with a "secure erase" software. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kobi gabai
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to erase tape data in unix V4.0 D?

hi! my computer is... System: Digital Personal Workstation 433a Processor: Digital Alpha 21164, 433 MHz Memory: 64 MB OS: Digital Unix Console (SRM), Digital Unix V4.0D how to erase tape data? I tried with mt erase but no success. My tape is 120m. So, how can i erase tape? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: akz
5 Replies

7. AIX

View tape backup files on RHEL5 Operating System

I have an AIX server with a tape Library residing on it. I intend to restore the data backed up to the tape on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. First , i would want to view the contents of the tape on RHEL 5(x86) but seems to be giving an input output error. I observed that if i backup to tape on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: optimum
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

View tape backup files on RHEL5 Operating System

I have an AIX server with a tape Library residing on it. I intend to restore the data backed up to the tape on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. First , i would want to view the contents of the tape on RHEL 5(x86) but seems to be giving an input output error. I observed that if i backup to tape on... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: optimum
20 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Best Operating System

Hello All, I want to install Linux on my machine, so please tell me one thing which is the best to install- 1.)Red Hat 2.)Cent OS 3.)Red Hat 4.)Ubuntu 5.)Fedora except that if there is any please tell me. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What's my Operating System

Can we know the operating given the IP address or DNS of the host. All I have is file://myserver/myapp (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
4 Replies
tms(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							    tms(4)

Name
       tms - TMSCP magnetic tape interface

Syntax
       For UNIBUS, Q-bus:
	  controller klesiu0 at uba0
	  controller uq0 at klesiu0 csr 0174500 vector uqintr
	  tape tms0 at uq0 drive 0

For MSI Bus:
	  adapter msi0 at nexus?
	  controller dssc0 at msi0 msinode 0
	  tape tms0 at dssc0 drive 3

For VAXBI:
	  controller klesib0 at vaxbi0 node 0
	  controller uq0 at klesib0 vector uqintr
	  tape tms0 at uq0 drive 0

controller aie0 at vaxbi? node?
	  controller bvpssp0 at aie0 vector bvpsspintr
	  tape tms0 at bvpssp0 drive 0

For MSI Bus:
	  adapter msi0 at nexus?
	  controller dssc0 at msi0 msinode 0
	  tape tms0 at dssc0 drive 0

For VAX CI/HSC:
	  adapter ci0 at nexus?
	  adapter ci0 at vaxbi? node?
	  controller hsc0 at ci0 cinode 6
	  tape tms0 at hsc0 drive 3

Description
       Prior to Version 2.0, this device was referenced by tmscp(4).

The  TMSCP  driver  provides  a standard tape drive interface, as described in This is a driver for any controller that adheres to the Tape
       Mass Storage Control Protocol (TMSCP).  The TMSCP controllers communicate with the host through a packet-oriented protocol termed the  Tape
       Mass  Storage  Control Protocol.  This driver also supports n-buffered reads and writes to the raw tape interface (used with streaming tape
       drives).  See for further details.

Tape Support
       TK50, TK70, TF70, TU81, TU81e, TA78, TA79, TA81, RV20, TA90, TA90E, TA91

Diagnostics
       All diagnostic messages are sent to the error logger subsystem.

Files
See Also
       mtio(4), nbuf(4), MAKEDEV(8), uerf(8), tapex(8)
       Guide to the Error Logger

tms(4)