Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: execlp to sort
Top Forums Programming execlp to sort Post 302147879 by matrixmadhan on Thursday 29th of November 2007 12:05:49 AM
Old 11-29-2007
Code:
ret = execlp("sort","sort","-T", "/tmp","zma.txt",NULL);

Jim,
I feel using absolute paths here would be much more better.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

execvp and execlp?

Hi mates, Is there any difference between execvp and execlp? any comment will be appreciated. abdul:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abdul
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

ENOENT error occurs while issueing execlp command

/************************************************************************ * * TEST NAME: setrlimitd_su.c * * PURPOSE: To verify the soft (rlim_cur) and hard (rlim_max) limit * of process RLIMIT_DATA resources correctly inherited by * the exec() system call. * * RESULT: function call should... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mansa
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Sort Floating Numbers Using the Sort Command?

Hi to all. I'm trying to sort this with the Unix command sort. user1:12345678:3.5:2.5:8:1:2:3 user2:12345679:4.5:3.5:8:1:3:2 user3:12345687:5.5:2.5:6:1:3:2 user4:12345670:5.5:2.5:5:3:2:1 user5:12345671:2.5:5.5:7:2:3:1 I need to get this: user3:12345687:5.5:2.5:6:1:3:2... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: daniel.gbaena
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How it work?? the execlp

int main () { int p=1; while (p>0) p=fork(); execlp("prog",prog",Null); return 0; } and thanks :b: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: foufo07
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Script to sort the files and append the extension .sort to the sorted version of the file

Hello all - I am to this forum and fairly new in learning unix and finding some difficulty in preparing a small shell script. I am trying to make script to sort all the files given by user as input (either the exact full name of the file or say the files matching the criteria like all files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankaj80
3 Replies

6. Programming

How use exec, execlp, ....

Hello, I need to do a function in ansi c for linux that work like command cp.I try with this but doesn't work: int copy (char *src, char *dst) { ret = execlp("/bin/cp", "cp", "/home/linux/working", (char*)src,(char*)dst) return 0; } The copy function must do the next "cp origein.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NewBe
2 Replies

7. Programming

Problem with fork() and execlp process

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I have a task to use a fork to create multiple processes and then use execlp to run another program to add 2 numbers. The problem I am having is we are supposed to use the exit() call in the execlp to return the small integer. This is a bad way to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johnathan_1017
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sort word and general numeric sort at the same time

Input file: 100%ABC2 3.44E-12 USA A2M%H02579 0E0 UK 100%ABC2 5.34E-8 UK 100%ABC2 3.25E-12 USA A2M%H02579 5E-45 UK Output file: 100%ABC2 3.44E-12 USA 100%ABC2 3.25E-12 USA 100%ABC2 5.34E-8 UK A2M%H02579 0E0 UK A2M%H02579 5E-45 UK Code try: sort -k1,1 -g -k2 -r input.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort help: How to sort collected 'file list' by date stamp :

Hi Experts, I have a filelist collected from another server , now want to sort the output using date/time stamp filed. - Filed 6, 7,8 are showing the date/time/stamp. Here is the input: #---------------------------------------------------------------------- -rw------- 1 root ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Difference of Sort -n -k2 -k3 & Sort -n -k2,3

Hi, Could anyone kindly show me a link or explain the difference between sort -n -k2 -k3 & sort -n -k2,3 Also, if I like to remove the row with repetition at both $2 and $3, Can I safely use sort -u -k2 -k3 Example; 100 20 30 100 20 30 So, both $2 and $3 are same and I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indra2011
2 Replies
EXEC(3) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   EXEC(3)

NAME
execl, execlp, execle, execv, execvp - execute a file SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> extern char **environ; int execl(const char *path, const char *arg, ...); int execlp(const char *file, const char *arg, ...); int execle(const char *path, const char *arg , ..., char * const envp[]); int execv(const char *path, char *const argv[]); int execvp(const char *file, char *const argv[]); DESCRIPTION
The exec family of functions replaces the current process image with a new process image. The functions described in this manual page are front-ends for the function execve(2). (See the manual page for execve for detailed information about the replacement of the current process.) The initial argument for these functions is the pathname of a file which is to be executed. The const char *arg and subsequent ellipses in the execl, execlp, and execle functions can be thought of as arg0, arg1, ..., argn. Together they describe a list of one or more pointers to null-terminated strings that represent the argument list available to the executed program. The first argument, by convention, should point to the file name associated with the file being executed. The list of arguments must be terminated by a NULL pointer. The execv and execvp functions provide an array of pointers to null-terminated strings that represent the argument list available to the new program. The first argument, by convention, should point to the file name associated with the file being executed. The array of pointers must be terminated by a NULL pointer. The execle function also specifies the environment of the executed process by following the NULL pointer that terminates the list of argu- ments in the parameter list or the pointer to the argv array with an additional parameter. This additional parameter is an array of point- ers to null-terminated strings and must be terminated by a NULL pointer. The other functions take the environment for the new process image from the external variable environ in the current process. Some of these functions have special semantics. The functions execlp and execvp will duplicate the actions of the shell in searching for an executable file if the specified file name does not contain a slash (/) character. The search path is the path specified in the environment by the PATH variable. If this variable isn't specified, the default path ``:/bin:/usr/bin'' is used. In addition, certain errors are treated specially. If permission is denied for a file (the attempted execve returned EACCES), these functions will continue searching the rest of the search path. If no other file is found, however, they will return with the global variable errno set to EACCES. If the header of a file isn't recognized (the attempted execve returned ENOEXEC), these functions will execute the shell with the path of the file as its first argument. (If this attempt fails, no further searching is done.) RETURN VALUE
If any of the exec functions returns, an error will have occurred. The return value is -1, and the global variable errno will be set to indicate the error. FILES
/bin/sh ERRORS
All of these functions may fail and set errno for any of the errors specified for the library function execve(2). SEE ALSO
sh(1), execve(2), fork(2), environ(5), ptrace(2) COMPATIBILITY
On some other systems the default path (used when the environment does not contain the variable PATH) has the current working directory listed after /bin and /usr/bin, as an anti-Trojan-horse measure. Linux uses here the traditional "current directory first" default path. The behavior of execlp and execvp when errors occur while attempting to execute the file is historic practice, but has not traditionally been documented and is not specified by the POSIX standard. BSD (and possibly other systems) do an automatic sleep and retry if ETXTBSY is encountered. Linux treats it as a hard error and returns immediately. Traditionally, the functions execlp and execvp ignored all errors except for the ones described above and ENOMEM and E2BIG, upon which they returned. They now return if any error other than the ones described above occurs. CONFORMING TO
execl, execv, execle, execlp and execvp conform to IEEE Std1003.1-88 (``POSIX.1''). BSD MANPAGE
1993-11-29 EXEC(3)