Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Add spaces between Characters Post 302147523 by heyindy06 on Tuesday 27th of November 2007 10:51:07 AM
Old 11-27-2007
Add spaces between Characters

I need to add spaces in between characters in a string variable.

Is there a shortcut? I know you can remove the spaces with sed, but does sed have a way to add them?

Example:
I have: DATA01
I want it to be: D A T A 0 1

What I have done so far is to create a function that will parse thru each character and add a space after, but really would like a one line solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Counting characters, words, spaces, punctuations, etc.

I am very new to C programming. How could I write a C program that could count the characters, words, spaces, and punctuations in a text file? Any help will be really appreciated. I am doing this as part of my C learning exercise. Thanks, Ajay (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajay41aj
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace only first found white spaces with some other characters

Anybody can help me How can I replace only four first white spaces with , or any other characters aaaa 08/31/2004 08/31/2009 permanent Logical Processors in System: 64 bedad 08/16/2001 08/15/2011 permanent Logical Processors in System: 64 badnv14 05/31/2008 05/30/2013 permanent Logical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshan
5 Replies

3. Solaris

removing special characters, white spaces from a field in a file

what my code is doing, it is executing a sql file and the resullset of the query is getting stored in the text file in a fixed format. for that fixed format i have used the following code:: Code: awk -F":"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyanka3006
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replace characters with spaces between tag

I have a file where in some records are having the <Start> and <End> tag. There is data before the start tag , between the tages and after the End tag. I want to replace everything between the start & end tag with equivalent spaces. Input File afsdfaksddfs<start>12678<end>sgdfgdfsf... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: varunrbs
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Line & File Manipulation - add spaces between characters

Is there an awk, sed, vi or any line command that adds Field Separators (default spaces) to each line in a file? $cat RegionalData 12FC2525MZLP8266900216 12FC2525MZLP8266900216 12FC2525NBLP8276900216 12FC2525NBLP8276900216 Desired results: 1 2 F C 2525 MZ LP 826 690 02 16 1 2 F C... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MS75001
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert spaces between characters with pure shell

A file contains: abcdef I need : a b c d e f It's easy with sed sed 's/./& /g'but this is embedded linux that doesn't have sed/awk. The shell is unknown but it's bashlike. Parameter expansion works and seems promising and. A question mark seems to work as a wildcard, but there doesn't seem... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fubaya
5 Replies

7. AIX

Replace all TAB characters with white spaces

Dear Gurus Can you please advise me on how to Replace all TAB characters with white spaces in a text file in AIX? Either using vi or any utilities (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tenderfoot
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank/white spaces and special characters

Hello All , 1. I am trying to do a task where I need to remove Blank spaces from my file , I am usingawk '{$1=$1}{print}' file>file1Input :- ;05/12/1990 ;31/03/2014 ; Output:- ;05/12/1990 ;31/03/2014 ;This command is not removing all spaces from... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: himanshu sood
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Working with lines or variables that have spaces or special characters

Example: while read line do stat -c %G $line done < somefile.txtThe problem is that inside somefile.txt lines can have any symbol allowed as file name, like (). Even with spaces, it splits the words. somefile.txt:dira/my first jump.avi dirb/surf video (1080p).mkv (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tribe
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help with replacing characters without moving the spaces.

Could you please advise what is the best way to edit a file without disrupting the spaces? For example: I have within my file the value below, wherein I wanted to change VALUE2 to VALUETEST. The total characters on the field of VALUE2 is 15 characters. VALUE1|VALUE2<9 spaces>|VALUE3 but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asdfghjkl
3 Replies
lltag_formats(5)						File Formats Manual						  lltag_formats(5)

NAME
formats - Internal formats database file for lltag DESCRIPTION
The internal format database is usually stored in /etc/lltag/formats. The user may override this file by defining a $HOME/.lltag/formats. If this file exists, the system-wide one is ignored. These files contain entries starting with a line such as: [%n - %a - %t] A title between bracket that will be displayed at runtime. Then, the following 3 lines must be given to explain how the format is actually used to parse filenames: type = basename The type is either basename (to parse the last part of the path to a file) or path (to parse the directory part of the path to a file). When actually parsing the path to target files, basename and path parsers will be assembled. All possible combination will be tried. regexp = %L%N%S-%S%A%S-%S%A%L A string composed of any characters, with the following special fields: %L for delimiter (empty by default, multiple spaces if --spaces was given) %S for a space (or multiple spaces if --spaces was given) %N for numbers %A for an alphanumeric string without / %P for any path (alphanumeric string with /) %% for % indices = NUMBER,ARTIST,TITLE A list of fields to match (either given by their full name or associated letter) corresponding to each %N or %A field in the previ- ous format. It may be AUTHOR (or a), ALBUM (A), GENRE (g), NUMBER (n), TITLE (t), DATE (d), COMMENT (c) or IGNORE (i). See also FORMAT in the manpage of lltag for details about these fields. SEE ALSO
lltag(1) AUTHOR
Brice Goglin NOVEMBER 2006 lltag_formats(5)