Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search Mulitiple String pattern in a file Post 302146911 by LivinFree on Friday 23rd of November 2007 03:03:46 AM
Old 11-23-2007
Or 'egrep / grep -E':
Code:
egrep 'term1|term2|term3'

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Advance string pattern search Please

Here is my problem.. 1. I want to search all those files with file name starting AJ128**** (in all the sub directories also) 2. I want to search for the follwoing type of string line beging with string - 'AK*any_1_char*any_2_char*510' 3. I need to display list of file names... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sainj
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search pattern in a string and rename

Hi All, I have a string assigned to a variable. the string will be a filename. Something like below: file=testfile.dat.20009080_{arc}_2004809090 I need to check if the filename has a pattern like "_{arc}_" and if so I have to rename the file like below mv... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakgang
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to search for a pattern a string?

Hi all, I'm new in UNIX , so how to check if stringA is present within stringB ? Something similar to INSTR function in pl sql... Thanks a lot. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Leo_NN
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk search for string pattern in delimited file

I've got a semicolon delimited file. I would like to search for fields that match a pattern, and not hardcoded eg "mth". *th=something If the delimited field fulfills this condition, eg. mth=value I would like to print out both key and value for some number comparison. eg. if value > "12"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alienated
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed :Search and Replace a string pattern with empty in an xml file in unix

Search and Replace a string pattern with empty in an xml file in unix: My xml file would be like this : <Accounts><Name>Harish</Name><mobile>90844444444444445999 </mobile><TRIG>srcujim-1</TRIG></Accounts><Accounts><Name>Satish</Name><mobile>908999</mobile><TRIG>ettertrtt-1</TRIG></Accounts> ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: harish_s_ampeo
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a pattern in a String file and count the occurance of each pattern

I am trying to search a file for a patterns ERR- in a file and return a count for each of the error reported Input file is a free flowing file without any format example of output ERR-00001=5 .... ERR-01010=10 ..... ERR-99999=10 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: swayam123
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search string within a file and list common words from the line having the search string

Hi, Need your help for this scripting issue I have. I am not really good at this, so seeking your help. I have a file looking similar to this: Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. How are you? Hello, i am human and name=PQRS. I am good. Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. Good bye. Hello, i... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I use find command to search string/pattern in a file recursively?

Hi, How can I use find command to search string/pattern in a file recursively? What I tried: find . -type f -exec cat {} | grep "make" \; Output: grep: find: ;: No such file or directory missing argument to `-exec' And this: find . -type f -exec cat {} \; -exec grep "make" {} \;... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search a string inside a pattern matched block of a file

How to grep for searching a string within a begin and end pattern of a file. Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Baishali
8 Replies
XZGREP(1)							     XZ Utils								 XZGREP(1)

NAME
xzgrep - search compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
xzgrep [grep_options] [-e] pattern file... xzegrep ... xzfgrep ... lzgrep ... lzegrep ... lzfgrep ... DESCRIPTION
xzgrep invokes grep(1) on files which may be either uncompressed or compressed with xz(1), lzma(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), or lzop(1). All options specified are passed directly to grep(1). If no file is specified, then standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep(1). When reading from standard input, gzip(1), bzip2(1), and lzop(1) compressed files are not supported. If xzgrep is invoked as xzegrep or xzfgrep then egrep(1) or fgrep(1) is used instead of grep(1). The same applies to names lzgrep, lze- grep, and lzfgrep, which are provided for backward compatibility with LZMA Utils. ENVIRONMENT
GREP If the GREP environment variable is set, xzgrep uses it instead of grep(1), egrep(1), or fgrep(1). SEE ALSO
grep(1), xz(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), lzop(1), zgrep(1) Tukaani 2011-03-19 XZGREP(1)