Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Easy question for you pros
Operating Systems AIX Easy question for you pros Post 302146818 by bbbngowc on Thursday 22nd of November 2007 10:08:34 AM
Old 11-22-2007
Easy question for you pros

I have a folder with about 4000+ files. I would like to compress all these files with one command. When I type "compress *.ext" for example, I get "arg list too long". I tried the following:

for k in *
do
compress *.ext
done

Still got "The parameter list is too long." How can I compress all these files with a single command?

Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Easy question

Hi, Simple question. How do I convert a unix text file to a dos text file? Thanks Helen (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

easy question

I know the Sun Solaries versions are ( 2.3 , 2.4 , 2.5 ... 7 , 8 ) . But some times I see sun os v5.x what does it mean ?? also what is the last new machine for sun and what are its details specifications . Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamemi
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Another easy question

Hello Again, Ok guys. Thanks again for your help last time but I am in need of your experience again. I wrote this script: #!/bin/sh # List either files or directories in individual accounts # using 1, 2 or 3 with invalid case $1 in echo select 1 to see the FILES in your... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: catbad
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

A easy question.

this is the simple question, please help me! the question is: how to send exactly 50 ICMP Echo request packets with 500 bytes of payload to 202.139.129.221? I tried to use ping -F 500 202.139.129.221, but it didn't work. Thanks! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kikikaka
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hopefully an Easy Question

I have a file name in this format ABC_WIRE_TRANS_YYYYMMDD_00.DAT I need to cut out the _00 out of the file name everytime. It could be _00, _01,_02, etc .... How do I cut it out to look as follows? ABC_WIRE_TRANS_YYYYMMDD.DAT (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Easy sed question?

I have a line like: "Jun 19 12:56:22 routername 45454:" I want to keep all information except the seconds of the time. I tried: sed 's/..:..:../..:../g' but apparently I'm on the wrong track, because although that matches on the time, it replaces it with the literal ..:.. How... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: earnstaf
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

easy question

Hi everybody: Could anybody tell me if I have several files which each one it has this pattern name: name1.dat name2.dat name3.dat name4.dat name10.dat name11.dat name30.dat If I would like create one like: name_total.dat If I do: paste name*.dat > name_total.dat (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonet
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Easy Perl Question

How can I write a perl script to always only grab everything that is after Service: and before State: Service Transition - Service:jatthlink_jmsay_1 State:alive (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Easy Grep Question

This seems like an easy question, but I can't find an answer already posted. I want a command to return all of the lines in a file containing exactly a string I tried grep -x "372701" x.txt but this did not return anything I am just trying to search a file for lines which contain... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgrosecl
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Easy seq Question

Hi! I'm trying to do this: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - I'm using seq for this: seq 1 20 > filename.txt How do I get the "-"? I've tried -f per man but can't get anything to work. Also, is there an easier or better way than using sequence? Thanks! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TonyBe
6 Replies
WORD-LIST-COMPRESS(1)					 Aspell Abbreviated User's Manual				     WORD-LIST-COMPRESS(1)

NAME
word-list-compress - word list compressor/decompressor for GNU Aspell SYNOPSIS
word-list-compress c[ompress] | d[ecompress] DESCRIPTION
word-list-compress compresses or decompresses sorted word lists for use with the GNU Aspell spell checker. COMMANDS
-c, c, compress compress the plain text word list read from standard input. -d, d, decompress decompress the compressed word list read from standard input. EXAMPLES
Here are a few examples of how you can use word-list-compress word-list-compress d <wordlist.cwl >wordlist.txt Decompress file wordlist.cwl to text file wordlist.txt word-list-compress c <wordlist.wl >wordlist.cwl 2>errors.txt Compress wordlist.wl to wordlist.cwl and send any error messages to a text file named errors.txt LC_COLLATE=C sort -u <wordlist.txt | word-list-compress c >wordlist.cwl Sort a word list, then pipe it to word-list-compress to create a compressed binary wordlist.cwl file. word-list-compress d <words.cwl | aspell create master ./words.rws Decompress a wordlist, then pipe it to aspell(1) to create a spelling list. Please check the aspell(1) info manual for proper usage and options. TIPS
Word-list-compress is best used with sorted word list type files. It is not a general purpose compression program since the resulting files may actually increase in size. Word-list-compress accepts up to 255 text characters in the range of {0x21...0xFF}. If your word list requires a larger character set for certain languages or longer length for multi-word, scientific, medical, technical or other use, then it is recommended that you compress your word list using prezip-bin(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Word-list-compress normally exits with a return code of 0. If it encounters an error, a message is sent to standard error output (stderr), and word-list-compress exits with a non-zero return value. Error messages are listed below: (display help/usage message) Unknown command given on the command line so word-list-compress displays a usage message to standard error output. Corrupt Input This is only for the decompression command d. The input file is of an unknown format or the input file/stream is corrupted. You may have some valid output, but word-list-compress could not complete the process. If the input file is a compressed wordlist but you have no output file, then it may be a newer prezip-bin(1) version of compressed file, if so, try decompressing the file with prezip-bin(1) instead. Output Data Error The output is full, write protected, or has an error and can no longer be written to. SEE ALSO
aspell(1), aspell-import(1), prezip-bin(1), run-with-aspell(1) Aspell is fully documented in its Texinfo manual. See the `aspell' entry in info for more complete documentation. REPORTING BUGS
For help, see the Aspell homepage at <http://aspell.net> and send bug reports/comments to the Aspell user list at the above address. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Aaron Lehmann <aaronl@vitelus.com>, Brian Nelson <pyro@debian.org> and Jose Da Silva <digital@joescat.com>. GNU
2005-09-05 WORD-LIST-COMPRESS(1)