Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: What Is A Codec? Anyone
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting What Is A Codec? Anyone Post 302146403 by Neo on Tuesday 20th of November 2007 10:24:42 AM
Old 11-20-2007

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

DivX Codec

im new to Linux... im trying to use my DivX movies and have downloaded the codec from DivX.Com ... i am unsure as to how to proceed from here... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HMSS013
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mp3 codec

I just need a mp3 codec that will decode mp3s so I can play them with my media player (probably going to be using XMMS) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Synbios
0 Replies

3. Linux

Error: codec search

I am using openSuse11 - kde3.5. My konqueror give strange error msg saying search for codec whenever there is video file in folder. I am using mplayer as default. Konq is Ok but kdialog appears with error message about codec search. What should i do? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amit gangarade
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Is there any freeware codec pack available on OpenSolaris?

Today I installed OpenSolaris on my laptop , everything works fine just I can not listen MP3 music and I can not watch any videos :confused: I looked , and found Codeina , it is not freeware (except MP3) ! I installed some plugins I found on net (from sunfreepacks.com | Free Archives &... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
0 Replies
MESG(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           MESG(1)

NAME
mesg - display (or do not display) messages from other users SYNOPSIS
mesg [option] [n|y] DESCRIPTION
The mesg utility is invoked by a user to control write access others have to the terminal device associated with standard error output. If write access is allowed, then programs such as talk(1) and write(1) may display messages on the terminal. Traditionally, write access is allowed by default. However, as users become more conscious of various security risks, there is a trend to remove write access by default, at least for the primary login shell. To make sure your ttys are set the way you want them to be set, mesg should be executed in your login scripts. ARGUMENTS
n Disallow messages. y Allow messages to be displayed. If no arguments are given, mesg shows the current message status on standard error output. OPTIONS
-v, --verbose Explain what is being done. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. EXIT STATUS
The mesg utility exits with one of the following values: 0 Messages are allowed. 1 Messages are not allowed. >1 An error has occurred. FILES
/dev/[pt]ty[pq]? SEE ALSO
login(1), talk(1), write(1), wall(1), xterm(1) HISTORY
A mesg command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. AVAILABILITY
The mesg command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux July 2014 MESG(1)