Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting find charecter from its ascii value. Post 302146318 by Perderabo on Tuesday 20th of November 2007 01:50:21 AM
Old 11-20-2007
You can convert back and forth in a shell script with printf and od. For example a lower case "a" = octal 141...
Code:
$ printf a | od -An -to1
$ printf "\141 \n"
a
$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut First charecter in any string

I wannt to cut first char of any string. str=A2465443 out put will be. str1=A str2=2465443. I tried str2=${?%srt} str1=${str#$str2} it is not working. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comapring files charecter by charecter using AWK/Shell Script

Hi... I have a requrement to compare two files. for e.g. File 1 2007/08/19 09:48:10 DH-032 $APTA1: Device AATD8029 2007/08/19 09:48:10 DH-045 $APTA1: Device AATD8029 2007/08/19 09:48:10 DH-043 $APTA1: Device AATD8029 File 2 2007-08-19 09:48:10 DH-032... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evvander
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

charecter or number

Hi Friends, How to check a variable value is either charecter or number? With Regards / Ganapati (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ganapati
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find whether a file is transferred thro bin or ascii mode?

Hi Gurus, I need to find out, if i have transferred a file from ftp thro bin mode or ascii mode. Say if i have a file called "dec.sh"( u shuld normally transfer thro ascii mode). How can i find out that dec.sh is tranferred from ftp server thro ascii mode or bin mode? Any help would be... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashok_oct22
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete last charecter of each line.

Hi, I have file which is having the following content. 11082202^M 10951265^M 11482003^M 12820986^M 11309561^M 11092815^M 11103308^M 13024722^M 11343958^M 11280355^M 7516723^M i want to delete the last charecter "^M" from all the line and redirect to other line. Please help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shivanete
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert ascii values into ascii characters

Hi gurus, I have a file in unix with ascii values. I need to convert all the ascii values in the file to ascii characters. File contains nearly 20000 records with ascii values. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeeppvk
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

`find`, pulling 1st field from ASCII flat file as search/-name?

Hey Everyone! I have searched around for this on Unix.com and Google, and I'm either not phrasing my search properly or this is not as simple as I thought... I have a script that runs on a nightly basis that pulls one field worth of data from an internal MySQL database and populates to an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gecko12332
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

to delete charecter in a line

Hi, Using perl, how can I delete a charecter (specify the position number), in a line which starts with "GETR P" and another line starting with "GET P:=". This needs tro be done for many charecters in a line Thanks Vijayalakshmi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abc_81
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Hex to Ascii in a Ascii file

Hi All, I have an ascii file in which few columns are having hex values which i need to convert into ascii. Kindly suggest me what command can be used in unix shell scripting? Thanks in Advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HemaV
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Simple question about charecter count

Hi, I have collection of letters in a column such as: AA5678 AA9873434 .. .. I am trying to find the number of charecters in each. "echo "AA5678"|wc -c 7----------------> why does it give 7 instead of 6? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvosu
6 Replies
PRINTF(1)                                                          User Commands                                                         PRINTF(1)

NAME
printf - format and print data SYNOPSIS
printf FORMAT [ARGUMENT]... printf OPTION DESCRIPTION
Print ARGUMENT(s) according to FORMAT, or execute according to OPTION: --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit FORMAT controls the output as in C printf. Interpreted sequences are: " double quote \ backslash a alert (BEL)  backspace c produce no further output e escape f form feed new line carriage return horizontal tab v vertical tab NNN byte with octal value NNN (1 to 3 digits) xHH byte with hexadecimal value HH (1 to 2 digits) uHHHH Unicode (ISO/IEC 10646) character with hex value HHHH (4 digits) UHHHHHHHH Unicode character with hex value HHHHHHHH (8 digits) %% a single % %b ARGUMENT as a string with '' escapes interpreted, except that octal escapes are of the form or NNN %q ARGUMENT is printed in a format that can be reused as shell input, escaping non-printable characters with the proposed POSIX $'' syntax. and all C format specifications ending with one of diouxXfeEgGcs, with ARGUMENTs converted to proper type first. Variable widths are han- dled. NOTE: your shell may have its own version of printf, which usually supersedes the version described here. Please refer to your shell's documentation for details about the options it supports. AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report printf translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
printf(3) Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/printf> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) printf invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 PRINTF(1)