Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: naming a file to hostname
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting naming a file to hostname Post 302146254 by deaconf19 on Monday 19th of November 2007 06:30:46 PM
Old 11-19-2007
ok i will provide everything in detail.
the file i have is called sys_diag that i downloaded from SUN that someone wrote.
I that file on my machine in /var/tmp
when you run this script it will generate a .html file so this is my script
#!/bin/sh
list='01 02 03 04 05"
for x in $list ; do
echo $x
rcp test:/var/tmp/sys_diag test${x}:/tmp
rsh test${x} /tmp/sys_diag -o -u (-o and -u are switches for location)
once it runs it prompts for a location to store the file so i enter /tmp
(right here i need the rename of the .html file that is in tmp)
rsh test${x} mv /tmp/sysd_*/*.html 10.200.xxx.xxx:/tmp
rsh test${x} rm -r /tmp/sysd_*
/opt/firefox/firefox /tmp/*.html

basically i copy the script from my box to the remote box run it on the remote system. Then i just bring over the *.html file to my local machine and launch it in a browser. I know it all looks complicated but the above is the only scripting i really know for now. what i will do is create and database of all system information and update it once a month for other sites to view if they have questions about the system since they usually do. this will all be in .html web based

Solaris 9

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for file naming

Hi All, I am looking for a Unix shell script for file naming such that the file names itself as KARAN0001. The 4 digit sequence number must start at 0001 and end at 9999. After 9999 is reached, the number must reset to 0001. Can anyone please help me with that. Thanks & Regards ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karansachdeva
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

issue in naming a file

Hi, I want to create a file named 'abc(+1)' and append the data of file 'abc' to it. But getting error as unexpected'(' when i tried to use the following command. cat abc > abc(+1) Is there any other way to include brackets along with +1 in the file name? TIA. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vimalr
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

#file naming

hi all, Please advise at what circumstance those file will become -rwxr-xr-x 1 psa psa 1969088 Aug 18 2006 #libaa.sl -rwx------ 1 psa psa 2166784 Jul 25 2006 #libcrypto.sl.0.9.7 -rwx------ 1 psa psa 904040 Jul 25 2006 #libxxx.sl -rwx------ 1 psa ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rauphelhunter
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

file naming question

Hi, I need some help! I have a file in which i im splitting into 20 different files each called model_001.in model_002.in etc... i would like to make directory for each file using only the name and not the extension so that the directory names are model_001 model_002 etc. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: olifu02
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

File splitting, naming file according to internal field

Hi All, I have a rather stange set of requirements that I'm hoping someone here could help me with. We receive a file that is actually a concatenation of 4 files (don't believe this would change, but ideally the solution would handle n files). The super-file looks like:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Leedor
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File naming format

Hi, su - oracle<<EOC export PATH=${PATH}:${ORACLE_HOME}/bin exit EOC set `sqlplus -S $user_name/$password@$tns<<EOS set head off select min(time),max(time) from products; exit; EOS` var1=$1 var2=$2 su - oracle -c "exp user/pass@localdb... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: milink
7 Replies

7. Red Hat

File System Naming Convention

Hi, I am installing a new RHEL 5 application server containing JBOSS along with other specific 3rd party applications. I know that this usually gets installed in /opt but I was thinking of installing these on a new separtate lv / file system instead. i.e. /<my_new_FS_name> rather than... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duffs22
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

file naming in a script

#!/bin/bash while read inputline do what="$inputline" echo $what; if ; then exit fi $reextend $what $print ls -a done this is my code i am trying to change all of the file types of a certain directory to another file type but im not all the way there can someone help please (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: domdom110
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Naming file with special characters ?

Hi all, I have a problem with file naming in linux. I have to create a file named like 11/22.csv but shell displays error: no such file or dir. Problem is / character in the file name. I searched unix linux naming concepts and it's restricted in OS. Please tell me if there's any other chance? OS... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sembii
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with naming the file

Hi, I have a folder that contains files abc.txt def.txt ....and so on Inside abc.txt, I have @<TRIPOS>MOLECULE 4|Chelerythrine|abcb11_earlyIdentification_Stronginhib_washed_ligprep|sdf|1|dock Inside def.txt, I have @<TRIPOS>MOLECULE... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rossi
6 Replies
PMHOSTNAME(1)						      General Commands Manual						     PMHOSTNAME(1)

NAME
pmhostname - report hostname SYNOPSIS
$PCP_BINADM_DIR/pmhostname [hostname] DESCRIPTION
pmhostname reports the name of the host hostname as returned by gethostbyname(3N). If hostname is not specified, then the local host name is retrieved using gethostname(2) and this is than passed to gethostbyname(3N). pmhostname provides a service for shell scripts that mimics the logic formerly used by Performance Co-Pilot applications when trying to determine the official name of a host. PCP applications no longer use DNS-based heuristics, and therefore this command is deprecated. If gethostbyname(3N) fails, the input host name (either hostname or the result from calling gethostname(2)) is reported. PCP ENVIRONMENT
Environment variables with the prefix PCP_ are used to parameterize the file and directory names used by PCP. On each installation, the file /etc/pcp.conf contains the local values for these variables. The $PCP_CONF variable may be used to specify an alternative configura- tion file, as described in pcp.conf(5). SEE ALSO
named(1), nsd(1), nslookup(1), gethostname(2), gethostbyname(3N), pcp.conf(5), pcp.env(5) and resolver(5). Performance Co-Pilot PCP PMHOSTNAME(1)