Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Killing Time
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Chat with iBot - Our RSS Robot Girl Killing Time Post 302146165 by Cameron on Monday 19th of November 2007 07:35:55 AM
Old 11-19-2007
Killing Time

Hi Golly,
What do you do to kill a bit of time when you have some spare ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

users killing

:confused: When users logout from the server 'who -u' command shows existance of the user without any prcess ID and 'kill -9' command becomes invalid. Any body have any idea how to solve this problem. let me know please. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: utpol_68
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

killing a process

I can kill running processes on my linux red hat system using ctrl-c but cannot do it from command line of another terminal using kill -2 pid. Although I can kill them from command line using kill -9 pid and other signals. I would like to do it using the kill -2 pid. Thanks for your suggestions (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbhayana
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

killing the process

Hi, First, I am running a scipt.While the script is running I realize that I dont want the script to be run so I am killing the script externally.Before the process gets terminated or killed it should delete all the temporary files created by the script.How to do this?Can anyone help me? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arthi
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

killing 300 process at the same time

Here's the scenario i have this servd process i want to kill, but i want to kill it one time. bash-2.03# ps -ef | grep servd | grep User123 | wc -l 300 bash-2.03# ps -ef | grep servd | grep User123 | more User123 2007 2006 0 03:17:09 pts/12 0:00 /usr/bin/su - User123 -c ssh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hrist
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the age of a unix process, killing old processes, killing zombie processes

I had issues with processes locking up. This script checks for processes and kills them if they are older than a certain time. Its uses some functions you'll need to define or remove, like slog() which I use for logging, and is_running() which checks if this script is already running so you can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukerman
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing a subshell

I am calling a script from with another script and reading its output one line at a time (using <childscript> | while read line) in the parent script. If the output exceeds a predefined number of lines I want to kill the child shell from within the parent shell. I decided to print the process ID... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: slash_blog
2 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Killing a process if it is not using any cpu time

Hi i am a newbie thanks in advance i have a process which keeps on running but doesn't use any CPU time and doesn't do the functionality which it is suppose to do . If i kill the process and start the process again then the process kicks in and starts using CPU time and continues to do its... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nick1982
3 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Automatically killing a process if it doesn't use any CPU time

Hi, I'm new to Linux. I have a windows server that run many processes on it. In some cases the processes doesn't exit properly or just stop working and the process needs to be killed. I was wondering how i can automatically (couple of times a day) check which process doesn't use any CPU... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramikom
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing the process ID's

Hi , I have a list of application process id's. Is there a way to kill all the process listed below using the script, except the once which are starting with " Genesis " adm 1522 ABC_Process.tra adm 1939 Genesis_Process.tra adm 2729 Genesis_Archive.tra adm 3259 xyz_Process.tra (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: murali1687
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing the process if running for long time in script

I am running a script which will read the data from fail line by line and call the Java program by providing the arguments from the each line. The Java code is working fast for few records and for some records its getting hanged not providing response for morethan one hour. Currently am... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshaila
4 Replies
psradm(1M)						  System Administration Commands						psradm(1M)

NAME
psradm - change processor operational status SYNOPSIS
psradm -f | -i | -n | -s [-v] [-F] processor_id psradm -a -f | -i | -n | -s [-v] [-F] DESCRIPTION
The psradm utility changes the operational status of processors. The legal states for the processor are on-line, off-line, spare, faulted, and no-intr. An on-line processor processes LWPs (lightweight processes) and can be interrupted by I/O devices in the system. An off-line processor does not process any LWPs. Usually, an off-line processor is not interruptible by I/O devices in the system. On some processors or under certain conditions, it might not be possible to disable interrupts for an off-line processor. Thus, the actual effect of being off-line might vary from machine to machine. A spare processor does not process any LWPs. A spare processor can be brought on-line, off-line or to no-intr by a privileged user of the system or by the kernel in response to changes in the system state. A faulted processor is identified by the kernel, which monitors the behavior of processors over time. A privileged user can set the state of a faulted processor to be on-line, off-line, spare or no-intr, but must use the force option to do so. A no-intr processor processes LWPs but is not interruptible by I/O devices. A processor can not be taken off-line or made spare if there are LWPs that are bound to the processor unless the additional -F option is used. The -F option removes processor bindings of such LWPs before changing the processor's operational status. On some architectures, it might not be possible to take certain processors off-line or spare if, for example, the system depends on some resource provided by the processor. At least one processor in the system must be able to process LWPs. At least one processor must also be able to be interrupted. Since an off-line or spare processor can be interruptible, it is possible to have an operational system with one processor no-intr and all other processors off-line or spare but with one or more accepting interrupts. If any of the specified processors are powered off, psradm might power on one or more processors. Only superusers can use the psradm utility. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -a Perform the action on all processors, or as many as possible. -f Take the specified processors off-line. -F Force the transition to the additional specified state. Required if one or more of the specified processors was in the faulted state. Set the specified processors to faulted, if no other transition option was specified. Forced transitions can only be made to faulted, spare, or off-line states. Administrators are encouraged to use the -Q option for pbind(1M) to find out which threads will be affected by forced a processor state transition. -i Set the specified processors no-intr. -n Bring the specified processors on-line. -s Make the specified processors spare. -v Output a message giving the results of each attempted operation. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: processor_id The processor ID of the processor to be set on-line or off-line, spare, or no-intr. Specify processor_id as an individual processor number (for example, 3), multiple processor numbers separated by spaces (for example, 1 2 3), or a range of processor numbers (for example, 1-4). It is also possible to combine ranges and (indi- vidual or multiple) processor_ids (for example, 1-3 5 7-8 9). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Setting Processors to off-line The following example sets processors 2 and 3 off-line: % psradm -f 2 3 Example 2: Setting Processors to no-intr The following example sets processors 1 and 2 no-intr: % psradm -i 1 2 Example 3: Setting Processors to spare The following example sets processors 1 and 2 spare, even if either of the processors was in the faulted state: % psradm -F -s 1 2 Example 4: Setting All Processors on-line % psradm -a -n Example 5: Forcing Processors to off-line The following example sets processors 1 and 2 offline, and revokes the processor bindings from the processes bound to them: % psradm -F -f 1 2 EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. FILES
/etc/wtmpx Records logging processor status changes ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
pbind(1M), psrinfo(1M), psrset(1M), p_online(2), processor_bind(2), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
psradm: processor 4: Invalid argument The specified processor does not exist in the configuration. psradm: processor 3: Device busy The specified processor could not be taken off-line because it either has LWPs bound to it, is the last on-line processor in the sys- tem, or is needed by the system because it provides some essential service. psradm: processor 3: Device busy The specified processor could not be set no-intr because it is the last interruptible processor in the system, or or it is the only processor in the system that can service interrupts needed by the system. psradm: processor 3: Device busy The specified processor is powered off, and it cannot be powered on because some platform-specific resource is unavailable. psradm: processor 0: Not owner The user does not have permission to change processor status. psradm: processor 2: Operation not supported The specified processor is powered off, and the platform does not support power on of individual processors. SunOS 5.10 17 Aug 2004 psradm(1M)