Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Problems with disabling remote root login Post 302146152 by veccinho on Monday 19th of November 2007 04:37:59 AM
Old 11-19-2007
Problems with disabling remote root login

Hello!

I'm going through security checklist for AIX 5.3 and i just can't disable remote login for root through ssh.
What i did:
- in /etc/security/user i added a line:
rlogin = false
which works fine when i try to login through telnet
- after installation of openSSH i edited sshd_config - uncommented line: PermitRootLogin yes
- restarted sshd: stopsrc -s sshd, startsrc -s sshd
- then in smit in login controls for root i deleted ALL and added /dev/console (for this i'm not sure if it's correct)

And still I'm able to login remotely as root.

What did i miss?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

Disabling root login

Hy, Coud someone tell me how to disable root login via terminal (only from console should be allowed). There is no ssh installed, only telnet. I created a user which will have permission to su to root, but now i don't know where and what to modify to disable root login? SCO OpenServer 5 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: veccinho
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Remote ssh login as root

I edited my /etc/default/login file and commented the line: # If CONSOLE is set, root can only login on that device. # Comment this line out to allow remote login by root. # #CONSOLE=/dev/console I still cant login thru telnet or ssh. What else do i have to do to be able to login... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
14 Replies

3. AIX

disabling telnet login for root only

Hi, I want to disable telnet login for root only so that other users can telnet? Regards, Manoj (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
8 Replies

4. SCO

how to disabling root user

dear all, pls give the sollution to disable root login from telnet directly.but it should allow while we type su command (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakrithi
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Deny root remote login help

I'm attempting to deny a user's ability to login as root through any remote means - ie telnet or ssh. I've read most of the threads that I can find on this site and I've looked at BigAdmin on Sun's site. I have done what has been suggested here and on BigAdmin which is to make sure that the line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gonzotonka
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

etc/ftpd/ftpusers & philosophy of disabling root

we don't have root in our /etc/ftpd/ftpusers and we are getting some pushback from the external auditors about this - specifically as a security risk if a "sniffer" were to catch roots password at the ftp. What do most shops do - disable ftp for root? What do you do to get things to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LisaS
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Non root login problems in AIX

Hi All, I have setup a non root user on AIX 5.3, using smit. When I try logging on as that user my login screen just disappears. I am using PUTTY. I login to the same box as root no problems. I have tried re-creating several different usernames but get the same effect I have also telneted from a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hansul
2 Replies

8. Solaris

how to login with ssh to remote system with out applying the remote root/usr password

how to login with ssh to remote system with out applying the remote root/user password with rlogin we can ujse .rhosts file but with ssh howits possible plz guide (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
2 Replies

9. AIX

AIX Disable direct root login problems

I have disabled rlogin for root successfully , but after that i could not login to root from console and could not su to root from other users as it responded as expired account I did not have any admin user but I have managed to recover the situation by accessing rootvg before mounting it, but... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: majd_ece
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Disabling CBC Cipher mode causes login problems

Hi, As part of the security hardening activity in our team, we have to disable CBC mode cipher encryption, and enable CTR or GCM cipher mode encryption. To do this, in sshd_config I comment out these lines : Ciphers aes128-cbc,blowfish-cbc,3des-cbc MACS hmac-sha1,hmac-md5 and add... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
9 Replies
HOSTS.EQUIV(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						    HOSTS.EQUIV(5)

NAME
hosts.equiv, .rhosts -- trusted remote hosts and host-user pairs DESCRIPTION
The hosts.equiv and .rhosts files list hosts and users which are ``trusted'' by the local host when a connection is made via rlogind(8), rshd(8), or any other server that uses ruserok(3). This mechanism bypasses password checks, and is required for access via rsh(1). Each line of these files has the format: hostname [username] The hostname may be specified as a host name (typically a fully qualified host name in a DNS environment) or address, ``+@netgroup'' (from which only the host names are checked), or a ``+'' wildcard (allow all hosts). The username, if specified, may be given as a user name on the remote host, ``+@netgroup'' (from which only the user names are checked), or a ``+'' wildcard (allow all remote users). If a username is specified, only that user from the specified host may login to the local machine. If a username is not specified, any user may login with the same user name. EXAMPLES
somehost A common usage: users on somehost may login to the local host as the same user name. somehost username The user username on somehost may login to the local host. If specified in /etc/hosts.equiv, the user may login with only the same user name. +@anetgroup username The user username may login to the local host from any machine listed in the netgroup anetgroup. + + + Two severe security hazards. In the first case, allows a user on any machine to login to the local host as the same user name. In the second case, allows any user on any machine to login to the local host (as any user, if in /etc/hosts.equiv). WARNINGS
The username checks provided by this mechanism are not secure, as the remote user name is received by the server unchecked for validity. Therefore this mechanism should only be used in an environment where all hosts are completely trusted. A numeric host address instead of a host name can help security considerations somewhat; the address is then used directly by iruserok(3). When a username (or netgroup, or +) is specified in /etc/hosts.equiv, that user (or group of users, or all users, respectively) may login to the local host as any local user. Usernames in /etc/hosts.equiv should therefore be used with extreme caution, or not at all. A .rhosts file must be owned by the user whose home directory it resides in, and must be writable only by that user. Logins as root only check root's .rhosts file; the /etc/hosts.equiv file is not checked for security. Access permitted through root's .rhosts file is typically only for rsh(1), as root must still login on the console for an interactive login such as rlogin(1). FILES
/etc/hosts.equiv Global trusted host-user pairs list ~/.rhosts Per-user trusted host-user pairs list SEE ALSO
rcp(1), rlogin(1), rsh(1), rcmd(3), ruserok(3), netgroup(5) HISTORY
The .rhosts file format appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
The ruserok(3) implementation currently skips negative entries (preceded with a ``-'' sign) and does not treat them as ``short-circuit'' neg- ative entries. BSD
November 26, 1997 BSD