Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers egrep counting every 2 lines of result as 1 Post 302146149 by Orbix on Monday 19th of November 2007 04:07:46 AM
Old 11-19-2007
egrep counting every 2 lines of result as 1

Hi,

Can someone help me count this line:
Say I have a file (file1.txt) that contains below:

11/16 13:08:19.5436 18096 --- Generating a <reading> event
11/16 13:08:19.7784 18096 ---- Sending a <writing> event
11/16 13:08:37.4516 18096 --- Generating a <reading> event
11/16 13:08:37.9199 18096 ---- Sending a <writing> event
11/16 13:09:49.8452 18096 --- Generating a <reading> event
11/16 13:09:50.0868 18096 ---- Sending a <writing> event
11/16 13:10:51.6707 18096 --- Generating a <reading> event
11/16 13:10:52.3232 18096 ---- Sending a <writing> event

I would want to count every occurance of (below) as one count,
11/16 13:08:19.5436 18096 --- Generating a <reading> event
11/16 13:08:19.7784 18096 ---- Sending a <writing> event

so this gives me 4 as the count for the example above. This assumes that each line is a new line.

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting lines and files

Hi experts, First of all thanks for all your help. How can i count the lines within a text file and send this number to another text file? And by the way how can i count the number of files inside a tape ("/dev/rtp") that as one pattern (Ex. "/CTA/") and send this number to a text file? I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jorge.ferreira
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Outputting formatted Result log file from old 30000 lines result log<help required>

Well I have a 3000 lines result log file that contains all the machine data when it does the testing... It has 3 different section that i am intrsted in 1) starting with "20071126 11:11:11 Machine Header 1" 1000 lines... "End machine header 1" 2) starting with "20071126 12:12:12 Machine... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas.iet
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

egrep/grep result of more files

hi , I'm new at unix bash scripting, im playing a little bit with egrep/grep. I have serveral files and i do a search on those files, like "aki", the result is many rows outcoming and serveral of them are dubble because aki wil come more than ones in a file, how can i get a result that it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tvrman
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to make menu of result from egrep

hi, im just starting with scripting , i have de following situation im doing a search in a data folder with egrep egrep -i "title.regu." `find . -name "*.dat"` the result is : ./20080816212245/index.dat:title Regular Expressions ./20080811212216/index.dat:title ... (5 Replies)
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

using egrep to get result

Hi all, Can egrep using AND OR ?, like egrep -i "title.$1" AND "category.$2" ./home.... I want to give two search criteria, the files where egrep is seaching in for example looks like below rows. title this is an test category space (command line input) $1 script.sh this space ... (6 Replies)
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting the number of lines - again

Hi all, I use bash shell and I have a problem with wc. I would like to determine the number of lines in a file so I do wc -l filename but I don't want to get the filename again I just would like to have the number of lines and use it in a variable. Can anybody help? Thank you, (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting # of lines

Counting number of lines: sp I am trying to figure out a script to count the number of text files in cywig and have it give me a number (as the answer) any help would be appreciated. I am new here, so be gentle :D (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: unicksjp
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Egrep strings on different lines in file

test.txt: appleboy orangeletter sweetdeal catracer conducivelot I want to only grep out lines that contain "appleboy" AND "sweetdeal". however, the closest thing to this that i can think of is this: cat test.txt | egrep "appleboy|sweetdeal" problem is this only searches for all... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting specific column and add result in output

Hi all, I have a quick question: I have a 4 column tab-separated file. I want to count the number of times each unique value in column 2 appears and add that number in a 5th column. I have the following input file: waterline-n below-sheath-v 14.8097 A dock-n below-sheath-v ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lines of code in egrep question

Hi, I have a question, during my readings it appears that these two variables in the snippet below need to be on the same line to return a “true” answer and listed in the output otherwise it won’t be returned. How can I write this snippet to make it return a “true” if those two variables are on... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bdby
6 Replies
history(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							history(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
history - Manipulate the history list SYNOPSIS
history ?option? ?arg arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The history command performs one of several operations related to recently-executed commands recorded in a history list. Each of these recorded commands is referred to as an ``event''. When specifying an event to the history command, the following forms may be used: [1] A number: if positive, it refers to the event with that number (all events are numbered starting at 1). If the number is negative, it selects an event relative to the current event (-1 refers to the previous event, -2 to the one before that, and so on). Event 0 refers to the current event. [2] A string: selects the most recent event that matches the string. An event is considered to match the string either if the string is the same as the first characters of the event, or if the string matches the event in the sense of the string match command. The history command can take any of the following forms: history Same as history info, described below. history add command ?exec? Adds the command argument to the history list as a new event. If exec is specified (or abbreviated) then the command is also exe- cuted and its result is returned. If exec isn't specified then an empty string is returned as result. history change newValue ?event? Replaces the value recorded for an event with newValue. Event specifies the event to replace, and defaults to the current event (not event -1). This command is intended for use in commands that implement new forms of history substitution and wish to replace the current event (which invokes the substitution) with the command created through substitution. The return value is an empty string. history clear Erase the history list. The current keep limit is retained. The history event numbers are reset. history event ?event? Returns the value of the event given by event. Event defaults to -1. history info ?count? Returns a formatted string (intended for humans to read) giving the event number and contents for each of the events in the history list except the current event. If count is specified then only the most recent count events are returned. history keep ?count? This command may be used to change the size of the history list to count events. Initially, 20 events are retained in the history list. If count is not specified, the current keep limit is returned. history nextid Returns the number of the next event to be recorded in the history list. It is useful for things like printing the event number in command-line prompts. history redo ?event? Re-executes the command indicated by event and return its result. Event defaults to -1. This command results in history revision: see below for details. HISTORY REVISION
Pre-8.0 Tcl had a complex history revision mechanism. The current mechanism is more limited, and the old history operations substitute and words have been removed. (As a consolation, the clear operation was added.) The history option redo results in much simpler ``history revision''. When this option is invoked then the most recent event is modified to eliminate the history command and replace it with the result of the history command. If you want to redo an event without modifying history, then use the event operation to retrieve some event, and the add operation to add it to history and execute it. KEYWORDS
event, history, record Tcl history(n)