Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Software engineers, real and otherwise Post 302145650 by Yogesh Sawant on Thursday 15th of November 2007 12:09:29 AM
Old 11-15-2007
I think the character and virtues of a person also play some role in this. For example, my brother, who is a Gemini, is sometimes faster and creative than me. This results in a personality that is more suitable towards development works. I tend to be highly organized, but more of a jack-of-all type. I have dipped my fingers in many areas, rather than sticking to one.

One of my friends in college used to take 10% of the time I took to make the same programs, but he was a lot messier than me.

I have observed that such traits of a person appear in the work they do, and tends to have some impact on it. Of course, by certain effort, one can acquire the required qualities and give up the unwanted ones. Everybody has free will.

postscript: I am a believer that programming is an art, rather than science. Software Engineering is not merely programming, though.

Last edited by Yogesh Sawant; 11-15-2007 at 01:17 AM.. Reason: added more comments

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Open source mathematical software for scientists & engineers

I'm look for some opinion on mathematical software from any engineers out there. What is the open source application that --in your opinion(s) -- best meets the same requirements as Mathematica or Maple? I'm running FreeBSD & Linux, btw. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aaron Van
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How many UNIX engineers are necessary?

I was asked to maintain more than 160 UNIX servers which OS are Solaris, linux,susue,,etc by the president. But there is only one UNIX engineer in my section. I am sure I need at least 3 UNIX engineers to maintain more than 160 UNIX servers. What do you think how many engineers I need? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrjhit
11 Replies

3. High Performance Computing

Installation Guide for Solaris Cluster 3.2 Software and Oracle 10g Release 2 Real App

Here are steps for installing the Solaris 10 11/06 OS, Solaris Cluster (formerly Sun Cluster) 3.2 software, QFS 4.5, and Oracle 10gR2 RAC. Also provided are instructions on how to configure QFS and Solaris Volume Manager for use with Oracle 10gR2 RAC. More... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Lack of Solaris Engineers?

Are more and more companies moving away from Solaris? I am currently helping a company search for a Sr. Solaris Engineer near Philadelphia and it seems as if more candidates are in other UNIX flavors. Is this correct? Where is the best place to search for Solaris Engineers? Thank you for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nickcrocemisi
2 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Lack of Solaris Engineers?

Are more and more companies moving away from Solaris? I am currently helping a company search for a Sr. Solaris Engineer near Philadelphia and it seems as if more candidates are in other UNIX flavors. Is this correct? Where is the best place to search for Solaris Engineers? Thank you for your... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nickcrocemisi
1 Replies

6. Advertise with Us

Wanted- Linux Application Engineers

Optiver US LLC is a worldwide market maker and derivatives trading firm with offices in Chicago, Amsterdam and Sydney. Attracting very ambitious, talented and results-oriented individuals to become members of a highly selective trading application engineering team. This position is a primary... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Barb S.
0 Replies
WRITE(1)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  WRITE(1)

NAME
write - send a message to another user SYNOPSIS
write user [ttyname] DESCRIPTION
Write allows you to communicate with other users, by copying lines from your terminal to theirs. When you run the write command, the user you are writing to gets a message of the form: Message from yourname@yourhost on yourtty at hh:mm ... Any further lines you enter will be copied to the specified user's terminal. If the other user wants to reply, they must run write as well. When you are done, type an end-of-file or interrupt character. The other user will see the message EOF indicating that the conversation is over. You can prevent people (other than the super-user) from writing to you with the mesg(1) command. Some commands, for example nroff(1) and pr(1), may disallow writing automatically, so that your output isn't overwritten. If the user you want to write to is logged in on more than one terminal, you can specify which terminal to write to by specifying the ter- minal name as the second operand to the write command. Alternatively, you can let write select one of the terminals - it will pick the one with the shortest idle time. This is so that if the user is logged in at work and also dialed up from home, the message will go to the right place. The traditional protocol for writing to someone is that the string `-o', either at the end of a line or on a line by itself, means that it's the other person's turn to talk. The string `oo' means that the person believes the conversation to be over. SEE ALSO
mesg(1), talk(1), who(1) HISTORY
A write command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. 12 March 1995 WRITE(1)